Alternative firmware?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by spinal_cord, Jul 13, 2008.

Jul 13, 2008

Alternative firmware? by spinal_cord at 8:33 PM (3,023 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. spinal_cord
    OP

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    I'm wondering how many cards have unofficial firmwares (that load commercial roms) and what they are.

So far, i know of ysmenu for ttds/dstt and acekard, i currently use this on my ttds, its not bad.
    are there any others?

2. JPdensetsu

Member JPdensetsu GBAtemp Addict

Taiwan
    AKAIO v1.0 (AceKard R.P.G. en 2)

3. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The AK2 has several different menus that run on it including AIO, Bliss, and YSMenu. Another menu by gelu only runs on the Acekard RPG. The SCDS1 can run the DSTT firmware and YSMenu.

Note that most of the unofficial menus that run on carts still rely on the loader from the official firmware for the cart.

-Bri

4. spinal_cord
    OP

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    In what way? does anyone know how some of these unofficial menus work?

5. sidneyyoung

Member sidneyyoung GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bermuda

The scds-1 via bliss's loader doesn't, you can run DSTT regular firmware and Y's(dstt version) without a single actual supercard file.

I would love to know what bliss's loader actually does ,cause it seems pretty miraculous. I have a few dstt's and scds-1's and they run absolutely identicaly using the same memory cards with the dstt menu, you cannot tell the difference.

6. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    What I meant was that most menu systems that I know of use loaders from official firmware, so to call these menus "unofficial firmware" as in the O.P. is somewhat misleading. Technically, they are menu systems and they typically pass the actual loading of the ROMs off to loaders extracted from official firmware.

If I'm not mistaken, Bliss' multi-boot program isn't actually a loader at all. I believe it boots one of three different menu systems: the official SCDS1 menu, the official DSTT menu/loader, and YSMenu for the DSTT which uses the official DSTT loader. But you're right that the SCDS1 can use both the SCDS1 official loader or the DSTT's official loader, apparently because the hardware of the SCDS1 and the DSTT are nearly identical.

-Bri