Hacking Alternate Wiinja Point #5 install point?

PiNPOiNT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I managed to unsolder the #5 install point on for the Wiinja, and now i cant attach point 5 anymore, is there any other alternate place for #5 i can attach to? Hopefully point 5 is simply power or something else easy to find. Or am i pooched?

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
5 is not power or something. It's one of three points for the serial port itself. If you can't solder to that point you might be SOL for any drive chip solution. The above poster is right about points 1 and 8.

I would wager a guess that you just now have an oxidized spot on the board that solder isn't sticking to. Oxidation can be cleaned off.

I just hope you didn't fry your board with the soldering iron.

There is an alternative point nearby, but it's even harder to solder to. It's directly on the chip just above the soldering points on the schematic. You'll have to trace the line running from point 5 to that point on the chip and solder there. Like I said, it's even harder though since it's right on a chip (easier to fry) and very close to other points and they're even smaller (easy to bridge connections).

I'd say that if you're having problems at this point you might want to get someone more skilled at soldering than yourself to try and fix your error.

Hopefully you didn't fry your Wii. And hopefully you didn't destroy a necessary connection by damaging the #5 point on the board either.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes the only way to get around this is to trace the track running from solder point #5 back to the Panasonic chip. Then you need to carefully solder the wire directly to the correct pin on the Panasonic chip. Making very sure that you don't bridge any pins!

ciama81

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I managed to unsolder the #5 install point on for the Wiinja, and now i cant attach point 5 anymore, is there any other alternate place for #5 i can attach to? Hopefully point 5 is simply power or something else easy to find. Or am i pooched?

I have too much respect for GBATemp and it's members to make a sarcastic remark about your username.
cool.gif

PiNPOiNT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How does one clean off the oxidization ? underneath will there be more solder to connect to?

I thought about trying to solder to the pin but damn those are tiny, i doubt i could do it.

thanks for the help

XxDaSaMixX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WOW!! What a coincidence!! That is the same point that scraped off while I was soldering!! My point #5 is all brown!!

But I managed to trace it back to the Panasonic chip and soldered it to one of the legs. Its the 3rd one starting from the right of the chip. It looks like I did it right but not really sure. I plugged it in to see if it would turn on or even load up a disc. To my suprise, it did. But I still have to wait a day or 2 to get my Wiinja. But I managed to solder the other points correctly.

Can someone confirm that I didn't short out anything or that the Wiinja will work, cause it turns on fine, and it loads up my Zelda game, so I dont think that I shorted it. So does this mean that I did not short it since it works?

Thanks for reading, and good luck to you and soldering that leg on the Panasonic chip.

PiNPOiNT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How did you manage to solder to such a small point on the chip? Did you mask off the other legs some how ? I was going to try that out. I need to get a really really small iron tip to get in there and a magnifying glass i think.

XxDaSaMixX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is what I did. I took 2 sheets of paper, and covered the two sides of the point that I solder. Like this:

H | H

The H are the sheets of paper, and the | is the leg that you solder on. I used a 15Watt solder iron, and a pretty small tip. At first I did get some on the other legs before using the paper, but I scratched some of it off.

Hope that helped.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk