Alternate method of transferring files to Xbox

TangentingTangerines

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
I have my xbox softmodded, and currently the only way I know of to get files like games onto it is via ftp. This is a pain in the ass for me to set up though, since my game room is on the upper level while my computer is on ground level, and my laptop doesn't have a ethernet port so I have to take the xbox back and forth, plus go through the trouble of setting up an ftp server. Are there any alternative methods for moving files to the xbox? Can you use one of these so I can just put games on an external drive and copy them via the xbox menu? Or is ftp really my only choice.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The USB stuff (which by the way you can make yourself with a controller/extension/snap off section and a USB extension cable) is limited in the USB drives it can use and limited to about 2 gigs if memory serves. You might be able to find one that works but it was getting hard to do about 5 years ago, never mind today.

FTP is the main way people do anything. Theoretically you could take the hard drive out, unlock it, write stuff and lock it again but that is annoying.

Can you not connect your xbox to the home network? Ignore the older stuff you might find on wireless bridging devices as these days most would use ethernet over powerline/power line adapters (if you are not familiar they are small devices which plug into the wall and send signals over your mains wiring rather than running cable). Alternatively you could get another router from somewhere and try to join it to your home network. Or have the new router as a standalone (it is not like you need internet if you are just doing local networking), wire the xbox into it and have the laptop/PC join it over wireless and FTP that way.

Also laptop without an ethernet port? New one to me. I guess I will have to watch out for that.

DarkGabbz

Resident XBOX Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Hi,
I have my xbox softmodded, and currently the only way I know of to get files like games onto it is via ftp. This is a pain in the ass for me to set up though, since my game room is on the upper level while my computer is on ground level, and my laptop doesn't have a ethernet port so I have to take the xbox back and forth, plus go through the trouble of setting up an ftp server. Are there any alternative methods for moving files to the xbox? Can you use one of these so I can just put games on an external drive and copy them via the xbox menu? Or is ftp really my only choice.
You really don't want to use the usb adapter because it's USB 1.0/1. ( get a cheap 20$ of Ebay and use it)

Last edited by DarkGabbz,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you want to do it quickly, FTP is literally the only way.

You could get a USB to Ethernet adapter.
It works the same as a normal Ethernet adapter.
Just bridge your Wifi and Ethernet together and you can FTP back n forth.

Also, a laptop without ethernet port...
Only thing I can think of is the new macbooks?

TangentingTangerines

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm glad I asked here before wasting money on a usb connector. Also, my old school was giving away these macbooks for 25$, so that's why I'm stuck with no ethernet port and I'm too poor/lazy to buy one of apple's expensive options. Beggars can't be choosers lol.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm glad I asked here before wasting money on a usb connector. Also, my old school was giving away these macbooks for 25$, so that's why I'm stuck with no ethernet port and I'm too poor/lazy to buy one of apple's expensive options. Beggars can't be choosers lol.

You don't need an expensive option, there are compatible alternatives which use just USB (I've used one which just needed a driver and cost a few quid).

Another option might be to buy a cheap ethernet wifi adapter for the Xbox, I've seen cheap 'travel routers' which offer this function or re-purposed old routers running DD-WRT (plus you wouldn't have to worry about crossover cables, etc.).

Last edited by tech3475,

DarkGabbz

Resident XBOX Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Buy a wifi repeater.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah i would just buy a xp laptop for 20 bucks or so and use it for that. (like my compaq 8510w)

It can run Win 7 but that's besides the point.

Pretty much that yes.
It's worth the investment.
Especially when it comes to FTP transfer.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I was talking about computer to xbox via ethernet.

Looking it up further, the thing to look for is auto-MDIX.

As am I.
It's how I modded xboxes for people, bridge the cards, connected it up and dumped their harddrives for backup purposes n what not.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
As am I.
It's how I modded xboxes for people, bridge the cards, connected it up and dumped their harddrives for backup purposes n what not.

I presume that was for giving it an IP address?

The issue I'm talking about is to do with whether you need a crossover cable or not which is a wiring issue.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I presume that was for giving it an IP address?

The issue I'm talking about is to do with whether you need a crossover cable or not which is a wiring issue.

It gives the Xbox an IP yes.
No crossover needed, any patchcable can do it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, Okies. Family graveyard is that way 👉