Hacking Alright, I assume my wii is bricked, just want to make sure.

JCreazy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I had the homebrew channel installed with usb loader and I remember having bootmii if that matters. My girlfriend's little brother put his game in my wii and updated it with official firmware. Now when I turn on the Wii, it is just a green light with a black screen. I am assuming its done for. I can't find any fixes for my exact situation so if there are any ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

dn_angel000

Phantom User
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a thread with pretty much the exact situation on here!! lol I'd link u 2 it so u can read it through but I'm on the Internet Channel now!! lol

bwillb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from an IT support stand point, cover the basics...

did you make sure the video cable is still plugged in correctly?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Depending on the firmware it installed it might have overwritten Bootmii boot2, but if not you should be able to restore a NAND backup if you have one, or use cBoot2 to run homebrew, figure out what's causing the Wii not to boot and fix it.

JCreazy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the update overrode boot 2 so I think I am pretty much screwed. Anyone know someone that will buy a bricked wii?

Lexip;

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updating shouldn't brick your wii. You might just be one of the lucky ones whose boot2 was scrambled from the 4.2 update

Lexip;

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I’m surprised that they took the bold move of pushing an updated boot2 — I guess all of the cool kids are doing it these days. Their boot2-updating code (ES_ImportBoot) is not well-tested; they’ve never updated boot2 on retail consoles before, and in our testing we discovered that it often fails to write out ECC data for the new version of boot2 that it writes. We should expect to see some number of bricked Wiis from this; the code is so buggy that we decided to write our own for the HackMii installer. If you had BootMii/boot2 installed, it will be overwritten with the normal, stock boot2, but there should be no other harmful effects.

http://hackmii.com/2009/09/wii-menu-4-2-a-...of-imagination/

JCreazy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I made some sort of headway. I found some files for bootmii and put them on an sd card, when i boot up my wii it boots straight to the warning screen and then the menu. No bootmii screen but at least it boots. I checked my menu version and it says 3.4U. Is there anything I can do to revert my softmodding. I just want my wii to go back to being a virgin. How do I accomplish this?

kolosus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since you had bootmii I was thinking if you had a nand backup. Can you restore the nand backup and will that revert you back to 4.2?

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
JCreazy said:
Well I made some sort of headway. I found some files for bootmii and put them on an sd card, when i boot up my wii it boots straight to the warning screen and then the menu. No bootmii screen but at least it boots. I checked my menu version and it says 3.4U. Is there anything I can do to revert my softmodding. I just want my wii to go back to being a virgin. How do I accomplish this?
Do you intend to sell it? - if not there is absolutely no point re-virginising it. It booted into the system menu as obviously that is what you set Bootmii to do. As you now have access you can simply update to 4.2 (if you so wish) using the stickied guide. Alternatively you could run syscheck via your Homebrew channel (if it exists) to diagnose the problem then use DOP-Mii or NUSAD to rectify whatever issue you currently have. The former option of using the update guide requires less thought however.

JCreazy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I was able to upgrade it to the newest version and everything works great. Thanks for your help. Now I have priiloader installed to prevent any more installing of OFW

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things