Homebrew Already running al9h should i install sighax?

Noizetank

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this has been asked before but i couldn't find anything definitive.

I have N3ds 2DS and an O3DS all with Luma, Armloader etc should i use sighax/bootctr9 instead?

What are the main benefits of this and can you just install over existing CFW?

Any help is really appreciated

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you want future Luma updates, you need to install b9s. Right now it's not much different from A9LH for the enduser, but there's a of future potential to come
It is faster and a deeper exploit that Nintendo is going to have an even harder time to deal with. So basically right now it's just more future-proof

Last edited by The Catboy,

pixelmasher

Gaming Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this has been asked before but i couldn't find anything definitive.

I have N3ds 2DS and an O3DS all with Luma, Armloader etc should i use sighax/bootctr9 instead?

What are the main benefits of this and can you just install over existing CFW?

Any help is really appreciated
Yes. https://3ds.guide/updating-to-boot9strap
Future support for Luma3DS. Starting with 7.1 only B9S is supported.

Plushie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If you already have a9lh, going to b9s is pretty hassle-free. It takes about 10 minutes total, and following the guide to the letter is peanuts compared to following the olden days a9lh guide, which you already completed with success. The advantages are future Luma support, an ever so slightly faster boot and maybe even more user-friendly trinkets.

It's also nice knowing that your 3ds is even more secure from the grubby hands of evil ol' Don Nintendello.

D

Deleted User

Well staying with a9lh's only benefit right now is bootanim9 which allows you to chainload cfw's with a boot animation,but it may get forked to work with b9s soon anyway.B9s offers a brick free update,a few seconds faster boot time and continued supported updates from luma3ds aswell as bootrom dumping for developers and arm11 exploits which also makes your arm9 payloads boot faster than they did with a9lh.

fenderjaguar

Trophies
XP
Country
What does the guide mean when it says users of "3DSafe"? Then underneath, it says "new 3DS only".

Does boot9strap not work with O3DS?

Edit- my misunderstanding. All done and dusted now

Last edited by fenderjaguar,

uortex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Is there any way to check if I updated my 3ds successfully? I've used to tutorial to update from a9lh to boot9strap and I'm quite sure I did everything correctly but is there any way to check? Games and everything still work.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What does the guide mean when it says users of "3DSafe"? Then underneath, it says "new 3DS only".

Does boot9strap not work with O3DS?

Edit- my misunderstanding. All done and dusted now

Boot9strap works with O3DS,
I installed it on my O3DS Aqua Blue and it works fine.

Dark Pulse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is faster and a deeper exploit that Nintendo is going to have an even harder time to deal with.
I know this is going to sound silly with someone with not even 10 posts correcting someone with nearly 18,000, but I figure I should at least make this clear for the benefit of some random people who may happen to read that comment and misinterpret it.

AFAIK, Nintendo would have to put in a change on the bootrom hardware level - in other words, practically design a new 3DS SoC - in order to fix this. So it's not something that can really be "dealt" with by Nintendo - at least, unless Nintendo can "deal" with it in the same sense that one can deal with a tornado, hurricane, or earthquake.

It's too late in the 3DS lifecycle for that, and we all know that within a few years they will wind down the 3DS and move on to the Switch as their main system. 3DS at this point is destined for maybe one more year of decent support, and then the slow death of shovelware/kid games that the DS got.

I'm sure once the New2DS XL comes out, it will be Boot9Strappable, since they're already no doubt being manufactured, meaning that they'd have the same exploitable bootchain. The issue there will be getting a hax running to install B9S - if we're lucky, it might be a low 11.X firmware (and thus, Soundhax), but if it's 11.4 and up, right now the only way to do that is hardmods or System Transfer - and the latter is a potentially dubious prospect.

So basically now, Nintendo is more going to rely on that there is a (rather good!) number of people who either won't learn about Boot9Strap, won't want to proceed with it, or fear the negative misinformation and scary warranty voiding that installing it does to their systems.

They'll still make decent coin.

Astral_

GBAtemp elder
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is there any way to check if I updated my 3ds successfully? I've used to tutorial to update from a9lh to boot9strap and I'm quite sure I did everything correctly but is there any way to check? Games and everything still work.
Launch Luma Updater. If the version of Luma3ds is 7.1, you updated successfully.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I know this is going to sound silly with someone with not even 10 posts correcting someone with nearly 18,000, but I figure I should at least make this clear for the benefit of some random people who may happen to read that comment and misinterpret it.

AFAIK, Nintendo would have to put in a change on the bootrom hardware level - in other words, practically design a new 3DS SoC - in order to fix this. So it's not something that can really be "dealt" with by Nintendo - at least, unless Nintendo can "deal" with it in the same sense that one can deal with a tornado, hurricane, or earthquake.

It's too late in the 3DS lifecycle for that, and we all know that within a few years they will wind down the 3DS and move on to the Switch as their main system. 3DS at this point is destined for maybe one more year of decent support, and then the slow death of shovelware/kid games that the DS got.

I'm sure once the New2DS XL comes out, it will be Boot9Strappable, since they're already no doubt being manufactured, meaning that they'd have the same exploitable bootchain. The issue there will be getting a hax running to install B9S - if we're lucky, it might be a low 11.X firmware (and thus, Soundhax), but if it's 11.4 and up, right now the only way to do that is hardmods or System Transfer - and the latter is a potentially dubious prospect.

So basically now, Nintendo is more going to rely on that there is a (rather good!) number of people who either won't learn about Boot9Strap, won't want to proceed with it, or fear the negative misinformation and scary warranty voiding that installing it does to their systems.

They'll still make decent coin.
It was a pretty poorly explained reply on my end and I will accept that. So thanks for the far better explanation.
BTW, don't let the postcounts scare you. Most of us are cool with being corrected, no matter who the user was that did it.

Dark Pulse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was a pretty poorly explained reply on my end and I will accept that. So thanks for the far better explanation.
BTW, don't let the postcounts scare you. Most of us are cool with being corrected, no matter who the user was that did it.
Thanks for the support then. I know there's some places that do judge off quantity of posts as opposed to quality of posts.

pixelmasher

Gaming Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the support then. I know there's some places that do judge off quantity of posts as opposed to quality of posts.
Some of the devs are on here, but they have dismally low post counts. Some of them don't speak up that much. Probably too busy hacking, RE, coding, etc. So the numbers are meaningless in some cases.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I hate to go off topic, but the only time we would doubt a member is if a random person joined one day and with one posts and was like, "Hey! I got an 11.4 kernel exploit!" Then we doubt. Otherwise we are open arms to anyone who's willing to help the community. Plus I never mind being called out for poor quality posts, it helps keep me inline.
I should also be more careful about what I post with my phone vs my laptop. Obviously a thread that requires more detail my laptop would be better suited for it instead of replying quickly on my phone.

Reactions: pixelmasher

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do believe you mean the former rather than the latter. Unless you think system transfers are more dubious than a hardmod, but I doubt it. ;)

Dark Pulse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do believe you mean the former rather than the latter. Unless you think system transfers are more dubious than a hardmod, but I doubt it. ;)
I do.

A hardmod is pretty much guaranteed to work since you're writing to the NAND directly and bypassing any and all system control of it period. This is why the formerly "unhackable" 3DSes (like Chinese or Korean units) are now hackable. New2DS XL shouldn't be any different in this aspect - once we find the right pinouts, you just wire it up and flash over your modded NAND, and wham, exploited New2DS XL.

System Transfer on the other hand, highly depends on what the "base" firmware for the New2DS XL is.

I'm going to presume that New2DS XL is, of course, based on New3DS. This means that for the System Transfer trick to work, the end-user will have to use either an exploit (if we get lucky enough to have them under 11.4, basically Soundhax), or the System Transfer route is your only other "soft" option - and obviously that'd mean you'd have to have a New3DS to transfer from and put onto the New2DS XL - if all you have is an O3DS, System Transfer is NOT an option unless you've already got that jailbroken.

That is essentially what I meant by "potentially dubious prospect." Essentially boiling down to what firmware it comes with, because if it's 11.4, you need a second system, doubling the cost automatically.

Last edited by Dark Pulse,
Reactions: BL4Z3D247

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do.

A hardmod is pretty much guaranteed to work since you're writing to the NAND directly and bypassing any and all system control of it period. This is why the formerly "unhackable" 3DSes (like Chinese or Korean units) are now hackable.

System Transfer on the other hand, highly depends on what the "base" firmware for the New2DS XL is. We couldn't transfer from a New3DS to a 2DS, for example, because 2DS was based on O3DS hardware.

I'm going to presume that New2DS XL is, of course, based on New2DS. This means that for the System Transfer trick to work, the end-user will have to use either an exploit (if we get lucky enough to have them under 11.4, basically Soundhax), or the System Transfer route is your only other "soft" option - and obviously that'd mean you'd have to have a New3DS to transfer from and put onto the New2DS XL - if all you have is an O3DS, System Transfer is NOT an option.

That is essentially what I meant by "potentially dubious prospect." If New2DS XL is based on N3DS hardware, you can only do the System Transfer from N3DS -> N2DSXL. You wouldn't be able to do it from O3DS -> N2DSXL or 2DS -> N2DSXL. This considerably limits the "pool" from which System Transfer is an actually viable option, meaning folks in that situation would actually be kinda stuck until entrypoints/hax can be found for 11.4 and get Boot9Strap installed via them.
Ah, I totally missed that you were referring to the N2DSXL(not used to seeing that 2 in there). I thought you were generally speaking. Carry on. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans