already have a hardmodded wii, do i need to do anything else?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by szh, Dec 14, 2010.

1. szh
    OP

Newcomer szh Member

Singapore
    um hi everyone, sorry for the noob post, but please help me:

my wii is running firmware 3.2U (since it hasn't been played for a long time). i have the homebrew channel installed but nothing else (and i don't use it). the Wii is already hardmodded (not sure what modchip though) and runs most of my (old) games fine.

my questions:

1. do I need to update the firmware to play any of the new games? (i.e. can i just wiiscrub all my backups and they will play?)
    2. and if I update, will my modchip still work as usual? (i.e. can I continue burning my backups onto dvds?)

thanks for the help everyone! [​IMG]

2. kylster

Member kylster mich weich töten

United States
    A1: You will need to update your IOS you can do so by grabbing Dop-Mii Wiibrew Edition v14.5; no you do not need to update the firmware.
    A2: Yes your modchip will work, I myself have a modchip but converted to softmods since they are alot easier and better for loading backups even by disc [​IMG]

Optional A1: The great thing about having a mod chip is if you ever brick your wii beyond Bootmii you can still restore it [​IMG]
    Optional A2: You should switch to soft-mods cause they even have homebrew disc loader like NeoGamma which work great; All USB Loader support disc loading as well so the mod chip only comes in handy when needing to restore past bootmii.

If you need help setting up your wii to everything up to date pm me i'll even share for you a way to update your wii firmware w/o ever having to redo your softmods [​IMG]

3. energiza

energiza Newbie

May I ask if you can share this info in here, so that everyone can take advantage of that?

thx

4. szh
    OP

Newcomer szh Member

Singapore
  5. kylster

Member kylster mich weich töten

United States
    sure [​IMG] but by pm'ing me i would give you cIOS.WAD files to just install with Wad Manager [​IMG] These cIOS.WAD files are taken from my Wii using BlueDump and i've used them on other's to simply the process of grabbing homebrew, etc... the ones im referring to are cIOS249rev17 (for Triiforce compatibility), cIOS250rev20b base IOS 56 (for CoD BO compatibility), cIOS236 (backup of IOS36 [​IMG], cIOS 202v2 (a little outdated but this version works the best for me not necessarily needed), cIOS222 rev5.1 (for FAT32 Loading), cIOS223 rev5.1, cIOS224 rev 5.1, Optional System Menu 4.3.Wad for install by Wad Manager (Same as if you grabbed from ModMii)

You can update your IOS's in 3 different ways...
    A: PimpMyWii ---> http://www.mediafire.com/?eztnvizmiaz
    B: ModMii ---> http://gbatemp.net/t207126-modmii-for-windows? (you can find it one the very 1st post)
    C: Dop-Mii v13 (Non Wiibrew Edition)
    [​IMG] Dop-Mii Wiibrew Edition v14.5

A1. Homebrew called PimpMyWii [​IMG] nice little app some dont like it but i've never had a problem however i no longer use it; quite possible the simplest way to update ALL IOS's. If you use this method please make sure you choose the Option "Manuel Installation" i've never used the rest but i can assure you if your looking for a quick and easy non-hassel free way to update ALL IOS's this is the easiest. It will scan all your IOS's and automatically reload the one which has the proper permissions to install or overwrite other IOS's which is most likely cIOS250. This is best used with Online Installation.

B2: ModMii is the simplest way to grab all the necessary files when 1st modding your wii whether you need to get ahold of the latest USB loaders (Configurable USB Loader & WiiFlow are best for FAT32 drives) or need to get ahold of simple IOS's or SM IOS even possibly put a new theme on your Wii [​IMG] Install the app onto your pc and it will ask you some questions all your do is key in the code beside each listing you would like and download the files and it will even set up the files into the correct folders. Example you will Get a USB or SD card folder and simply put just copy the contents of the folder to the root of your USB or SD card. This is how i got ahold of the System Menu Wad. Yes installing the System Menu by wad only takes 2-3 mins tops and does not require you to redo your soft-mods.

C3: Dop-Mii v13 Non Wiibrew Edition allows you to install Any IOS below 200 from the Nintendo Server [​IMG] the best part about this is you can patch the desired IOS with Truch Bug, Nand Permission, ES Identify and other stuff [​IMG] If you need WW VC games to run from your SD card you will need to patch your System Menu IOS. You can also install Wii channels like latest Shop Channel etc... Must have a patched IOS like 36, 236, 249,250!

D4: Dop-Mii Wiibrew Edition v14.5 is sweet because it allows the AHBPROT which is direct hardware access to your wii not requiring a patched IOS to install or overwrite other [​IMG] you can also install Wii channels like the latest Shop Channel.

My Guide Choose your preference; i have used all above methods mentioned and confirmed working.
    Updating your Wii is simple once you got it soft-mod. All you need to do is make sure you have the latest HBC; Simple enough considering it's self updating [​IMG] Choose one of the above mentioned. I like PimpMyWii but after talking to the people on the forums it has a 1% chance of bricking your Wii. This is not likely but hey i've never experienced a problem using "Manuel Installation" and i have used it on other peoples Wii with great success.

1. Load up PimpMyWii homebrew
    2. Select Manual Installation
    3. It will auto reload the right cIOS for the job [​IMG]
    4. Cycle through the IOS's it shows out of date and choose to apply any patches to each when your done simply confirm and it will do a batch online installation of all your IOS with the proper patches.

ModMii is the preferred way choice when you want to do offline installations of your wads [​IMG] or update anything offline for that matter.

1. Load up ModMii for PC
    2. Tell it you want to download System Menu 4.3 Wad (also grab IOS80 or you will brick considering this is the IOS the system Menu Runs on!) and any IOS your want to update [​IMG] even cIOS if necessary. I prefer to use Dop-Mii Wiibrew editon to update all my IOS but i use the Non Wiibrew editon to patch System Menu IOS & IOS36.
    3. Drag folder contents to root of SD card and install with any Wad Manager perferrably MMM or YAWM.

Dop-Mii v13 can be used to patch any IOS and that's exactly what i use it for. You can even install a patched IOS into another slot of your choice preferably one above 200.

Dop-Mii Wiibrew Edition i have used to install System Menu 4.3 and it even checks to see if you have the right IOS installed to properly run it prompting you to install it first before going through with the procces. It will ask if you would like to preserve Priiloader. Note installing a System Menu any other way will require you to reinstall Priiloader doing it this way will not. No need to update boot2 just leave it as is. Also update your shop channel and any other channel you need. [​IMG]

Remember installing a system menu by .wad or Dop-Mii will not require you to redo any soft-mods also AVOID ANY SAFE UPDATER all they do is installed patched IOS which you may not even need to do.

Seems the 4.3u system menu was removed from Dop-Mii not sure why [​IMG] sorry but grabbing the .WAD off ModMii will be the same just not using dop-mii to install but any Wad Manager will do.

6. energiza

energiza Newbie

Great! Thank you for sharing the info!

peace

7. szh
    OP

Newcomer szh Member

Singapore
    alright i'm using modmii 4.4.4 to generate the files right now. it said that 4.1 was recommended instead of 4.2 or 4.3 so i just selected 4.1 instead, I don't think it will significantly affect game compatibility? (hopefully [​IMG])

i'll install it on my wii in a few moments, hopefully it'll work [​IMG]

EDIT: it's stuck at downloading IOS41 and is occupying 50% CPU (i.e. 100% of 1 core) right now...it says to run UnfreezeMii.bat to continue if it's stuck but I don't see an UnfreezeMii.bat anywhere...[​IMG]

EDIT: nvm files are downloaded ok

EDIT2: okay I need help again...I got my games on a usb hdd fine. however, i can only seem to launch the configurable USB loader from the homebrew channel. the forwarder channel doesn't seem to work, as selecting it just reaches an image and goes back to the wii menu. the configurable usb loader launched from homebrew channel seems to work fine with playing games.

how do i make the forwarder channel work? i've ensured that the hdd has /apps/usbloader_cfg/boot.dol but it doesn't seem to make a difference...