AlphaDream, developer of the Mario & Luigi RPG series, has filed for bankruptcy

oKQWRbm.png

The end may be nigh for Mario & Luigi RPG series developer AlphaDream. After developing titles like Superstar Saga, Bowser's Inside Story, Dream Team, and other Mario & Luigi RPG titles, the studio has filed for bankruptcy. According to a Japanese article via Yahoo! Japan, the filing was due to the company having an unpayable debt of 465 million yen, or $4.3 million USD. Despite cult status of the original Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga entry, further entries only began to slow down, in terms of sales, with industry insiders reportedly claiming that the latest game, a Nintendo 3DS remake of Bowser's Inside Story had sold so poorly, that it had caused Nintendo to halt further plans to develop titles on the aging platform.

:arrow: Source

Panzerfaust

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
played the very fist one. it was amazing back then.

last one, that I played was Dream Team Bros. on 3DS and it was pretty good.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they were selling so poorly, why did they keep making so god damn many of them? I haven't played all of them, but did find them to usually be pretty good.

Valery0p

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
F
Lurked for months on the original trilogy (and the only game I was able to beat back then was PiT), but starting from Dream Team things got less and less engaging... I hope someone can acquire their legacy.

Worldblender

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could this hint about when the Nintendo 3DS will be discontinued, or if it has been already? I haven't heard of any new releases since summer of 2019 (4 months ago).

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo and virtually everyone else is done making games for the 3DS. I'll bet they have stopped making N3DSXL altogether for a while now but are just being quiet about it. They'd still like to remove remaining store inventory I'm sure and could even have leftover parts for 2DS/XL to be assembled.

Worldblender

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo and virtually everyone else is done making games for the 3DS. I'll bet they have stopped making N3DSXL altogether for a while now but are just being quiet about it. They'd still like to remove remaining store inventory I'm sure and could even have leftover parts for 2DS/XL to be assembled.
I guess this means that there will be no handheld platform successor to the 3DS. Instead, the Nintendo Switch Lite could be seen as the indirect successor, since it is designed more around handheld use. But now there only be one hybrid platform, that being the Nintendo Switch, that will be the active platform for the next several years.

DuoForce

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe if they released the remakes on the Switch they would've gotten more money. AD released the remakes too late in the 3DS life to make a profit since most people now just pirate 3DS games.

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have fond memories of Superstar Saga, but to be completely honest none of the new games really caught my attention. They all just seemed like the same thing as before, but with better graphics, a different story and maybe some new gimmicks. None of that was enough to draw me in, and I'm guessing it's the same for other people. New players probably were turned off by the weird-looking gameplay, and didn't give it a chance.

Maybe if they dropped Mario and focused on a unique IP for the same formula, they could've made something more exciting.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If they were selling so poorly, why did they keep making so god damn many of them? I haven't played all of them, but did find them to usually be pretty good.
They were hoping the remakes would sell as good as the originals did sadly they didn't even come close.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga 2.15 Million
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time 1.76 Million
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story 4.56 Million
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team 2.58 Million
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam 1.01 Million
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga 3DS 700 thousand
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story 3DS 400 thousand

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They were hoping the remakes would sell as good as the originals did sadly they didn't even come close.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga 2.15 Million
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time 1.76 Million
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story 4.56 Million
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team 2.58 Million
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam 1.01 Million
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga 3DS 700 thousand
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story 3DS 400 thousand
Wow, thanks for digging up the numbers. Now I feel kind of bad for not supporting them after Dream Team.

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Glyptofane Dream Team Bros already wasn't that great imo.
They tied little levels to the collectible pillows which were mostly boring time wasters.
After I saw gameplay of the paper mario crossover were it was shown how repetitive it was I didn't buy that.
The second or third Mario RPG was the best.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: