'Alone in the Dark' gets release date and main cast reveal

alone in the dark.jpg

After its announcement last year, we now have more details about the Alone in the Dark reboot. In particular, it was revealed that the game will let players choose between two protagonists: Emily Hartwood and Edward Carnby, played by Jodie Comer (Killing Eve, Free Guy) and David Harbour (Stranger Things, Black Widow), respectively. This choice will influence the point of view of the story that players experience. A Spotlight trailer was aired to provide some new peeks at the game as well as the release date:

Return to the roots of survival horror in this Spotlight for Alone in the Dark! Illuminate the darkness and uncover the secrets of Derceto Manor. Depending on who you play, you will get a different take on the same story. You can see both of them in action in the new spotlight video, showcasing a ton of gameplay.

Alone in the Dark will launch on October 25th on PC, Xbox Series S/X, and PS5 for €59.99 / $59.99 / £49.99.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do realise that RE and SH technically are Alone in the Dark clones? Alone in the Dark is considered the grandfather of survival horror :)
well, not necessarily. Resident evil wasn't that similar to alone in the dark beyond the fixed camera angles and it being horror based. Alone in the dark is more of a traditional graphic adventure game that just happened to have monsters appear sometimes. It absolutely had an influence, but calling it a clone is like calling mortal kombat a karateka clone.

Reactions: CoolMe

Avalyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
well, not necessarily. Resident evil wasn't that similar to alone in the dark beyond the fixed camera angles and it being horror based. Alone in the dark is more of a traditional graphic adventure game that just happened to have monsters appear sometimes. It absolutely had an influence, but calling it a clone is like calling mortal kombat a karateka clone.
No. Mortal Kombat and Karateka? What? More like Wolf 3d and Doom (although I know that's the same company). Regardless, Alone in the Dark did come first, and Resident Evil did take a looooot of inspiration from it. The developers have even said so. It's no coincidence. :) Also: I was there, when both games came out :)

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. Mortal Kombat and Karateka? What? More like Wolf 3d and Doom (although I know that's the same company). Regardless, Alone in the Dark did come first, and Resident Evil did take a looooot of inspiration from it. The developers have even said so. It's no coincidence. :) Also: I was there, when both games came out :)
They are absolutely not anywhere near as similar as doom and wolfenstein. Their only similarities are fixed camera angles in a house and monsters are there. Alone in the dark plays like a graphic adventure game. If you think "has a fixed camera" and "monsters exist" are enough to call it a clone, than you might as well call alone in the dark a kings quest clone.

Avalyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I think y
They are absolutely not anywhere near as similar as doom and wolfenstein. Their only similarities are fixed camera angles in a house and monsters are there. Alone in the dark plays like a graphic adventure game. If you think "has a fixed camera" and "monsters exist" are enough to call it a clone, than you might as well call alone in the dark a kings quest clone.
Go back and play the games son :)

Reactions: stanleyopar2000

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think y

Go back and play the games son :)
How about you do that, cause I did. I've literally beaten alone in the dark multiple times and resident evil multiple times and they're not that similar. Alone in the dark is literally a graphic adventure game in 3d, not a survival horror.
I will now list all the features of each game and tell you how totally the same they are.
Movement: the same
Camera angles: the same.
Monsters: Yup, they're in both games.
Inventory: AITD - Weight based, just like a graphic adventure game! RE - Item slots. Not like AITD
Resource management: AITD - Barely exists. You are just as effective with your fists and kicking as you are with guns. weapons are also absolutely everywhere. Swords, knives and guns are abundant. You do not need to worry about what weapons or resources you have. RE: You have limited ammo and it's found in fixed locations. Your only option without a gun is a knife you have to manually equip that makes you stand still to use it, effectively leaving you open. Not like AITD
GA style instant death traps: AITD - literally everywhere. Open a book? DEAD. Walked down a random hall? DEAD. You know... like graphic adventure games. RE - doesn't have these. Closest they come is the shotgun room, but you can just put the shotgun back.

AITD is a graphic adventure game with horror elements, not a survival horror game. They both have fixed camera angles, they both have monsters, but thats about it.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I played the prologue. While I had a bit of fun with a jump scare, it was also so short that I felt it served no purpose. It was only 7 minutes long, and that includes cut-scene time. All you really get to do is watch a couple short cut scenes, walk a bit, grab a key, and unlock a door. I believe the full game will be pretty good, but the prologue was a huge disappointment based on it's short play time.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do realise that RE and SH technically are Alone in the Dark clones? Alone in the Dark is considered the grandfather of survival horror :)
I was referring to the modern RE & SH games, specially the RE remakes. And yes, i know that AItD inspired both series, but i wouldn't go as far as calling them "clones" (the original RE & SH games)..

Avalyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
How about you do that, cause I did. I've literally beaten alone in the dark multiple times and resident evil multiple times and they're not that similar. Alone in the dark is literally a graphic adventure game in 3d, not a survival horror.
I will now list all the features of each game and tell you how totally the same they are.
Inventory: AITD - Weight based, just like a graphic adventure game! RE - Item slots. Not like AITD
Resource management: AITD - Barely exists. You are just as effective with your fists and kicking as you are with guns. weapons are also absolutely everywhere. Swords, knives and guns are abundant. You do not need to worry about what weapons or resources you have. RE: You have limited ammo and it's found in fixed locations. Your only option without a gun is a knife you have to manually equip that makes you stand still to use it, effectively leaving you open. Not like AITD
GA style instant death traps: AITD - literally everywhere. Open a book? DEAD. Walked down a random hall? DEAD. You know... like graphic adventure games. RE - doesn't have these. Closest they come is the shotgun room, but you can just put the shotgun back.

AITD is a graphic adventure game with horror elements, not a survival horror game. They both have fixed camera angles, they both have monsters, but thats about it.
In what graphic adventure games is the inventory weight based?

You are listing so many things that the games have in common. Also, Shinji Mikami, once he left Capcom finally admitted that Alone in the Dark was the main inspiration behind Resident Evil. Without AITD? No resident evil.

https://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/artic...urce=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#xtor=RSS-3208

Anyway, such a boring discussion.... Have a nice day! :)

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Y'all think this will end up like the first remake?
You mean that absolute masterpiece of pacing and mechanics? That hair-raising voyage into the very darkest natures of humanity? That thrilling, pulse-raising adventure held back only by the feeble limitations of weak human technology?

I SURE AS FUCK HOPE SO PARTNER

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You mean that absolute masterpiece of pacing and mechanics? That hair-raising voyage into the very darkest natures of humanity? That thrilling, pulse-raising adventure held back only by the feeble limitations of weak human technology?

I SURE AS FUCK HOPE SO PARTNER

I love Alone in the Dark (Inferno). Fantastic cult-classic game, imo. But then again, I also really love games like Deadly Premonition. AitD 2008 is kinda the same, as it's one of those games people either love or hate.

SDA

Shame Yourself
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Didn't they just rebrand to Atari ?
Not exactly, since Atari SA (that's how the company is technically called) does reference itself as the company that started gaming back in 1972 (and they have even celebrated their 50th anniversary).

Infogrames, on the other hand, had acquired lots of other minor game companies like Accolade (which is now revived, by the way), Ocean, etc. and when they stopped due to financial struggles, the acquired companies went down with them.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I love Alone in the Dark (Inferno). Fantastic cult-classic game, imo. But then again, I also really love games like Deadly Premonition. AitD 2008 is kinda the same, as it's one of those games people either love or hate.
It's a shame because I just couldn't finish it but there was some good stuff in there. The fire physics were the best I'd played with at the time, and there was almost an intriguing crafting system.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not even worth the dl, imo, for a combined 7 minutes of cut-scenes and gameplay. I also don't see any reason a person would need to play it prior to playing the full game.
You do realize there are other members in this forum aside from you who would probably be much more appreciative.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You do realize there are other members in this forum aside from you who would probably be much more appreciative.

You do realize that my comment was an incredibly simple opinion of a 7 minute Prologue demo, right? And that there are other members in this forum aside from you who would probably be much more appreciative of it?

I don't even believe you've played it because the things I said about it are pretty spot on. I also made a point to say "imo", so people like yourself wouldn't piss themselves over it. Guess it didn't work & you need a diaper change.

• Haha
Reactions: urbanman2004

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol