ALmost ready to install Modchip for PSX

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Jack-Of-Trades, May 28, 2008.

May 28, 2008
  1. Jack-Of-Trades
    OP

Member Jack-Of-Trades GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I ordered

[​IMG]
    MM3 modchip PSX (USA)

[​IMG]
    Kynar wire 30awg

And also ordering

[​IMG]
    $2.49
    Dual General-Purpose IC PC Board (Board to hold it and the wire)
    An integrated-circuit solution.
    This dual general-purpose IC PC board accepts two 6 to 20-pin ICs and DIPs. Provides four tie points for each IC pin. Dimensions are 1-3/4x3-3/8".

[​IMG]
    10mm Insulated Standoffs (4-Pack)
    These 10mm insulated stand-offs with screws are ideal for use with printed circuit boards or motherboards. Includes four mounting posts with screws and washers.

[​IMG]
    $0.69
    8-Pin Retention Contact (socket so i don't have to solder directly to the chip)
    Complete any computer or electronic circuit board project with this 8-Pin Retention Contact. Its features include solder-type DIP IC sockets and a closed-bottom design to help prevent wicking and flux contamination. Also includes a wide entry area for easy IC insertion

[​IMG]
    $5.49
    High-Tech Rosin Core Silver-Bearing Solder (1.5 Oz.)
    This special rosin core solder is ideal for surface mount devices. It has a 62/36/2% tin/lead/silver formula with a .022" diameter. 1.5 oz. spool.

[​IMG]
    $22.99
    Soldering Work Station with Dual-Powered Iron
    A quality soldering work station with a dual-powered iron designed to make soldering jobs effortless. Beginners to technicians can use it with confidence for electronic repair, circuit boards and more.

So I'm wondering is that everything i need? (if im going to do it i may as well do it correctly right?)

I have a Popular mechanics 120 30W soldering iron but it has problems

only the middle half of the tip gets hot enough to quickly melt the solder
    and the tip is funny... semi bent fine point (friend gave it to me when i bought his dremmel tool from him)

$8.67 + Tax if i use current one (would probably mess up installation though)

$31.66 If i get the soldering iron/station

2. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Don't need Dual General-Purpose IC PC Board , don't really need the socket either , but it won't hurt if you prefer soldering to that first.

3. Jack-Of-Trades
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the info and eventualy gonna try to make my own PIC programmer so ordering a few extra sockets

4. Jack-Of-Trades
    OP

United States
    Yay saved $20 took my dremmel to the soldering tip to shorten and sharpen it and now it melts the solder like a pro yay for dremmels what can't they do?

And added some standoffs to the order to elevate the chip to help prevent a possible short

gonna copy what someone else did it mount it to the metal shield sony was kind enough to include in the classic PSX

I'm gonna most likely go to radio shack tomorrow and get the stuff needed to get the chip set up so all i have to do when modchip gets in is to pop it in