almost all (if not all) dsi screens are tilted!

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by hollywood6964, Jun 17, 2009.

1. hollywood6964
    OP

Newcomer hollywood6964 Newbie

United States
    Long story short, I went through about 6 dsi's before I finally chose 1, which I just sent to nintendo the first day I got it to get the screens aligned perfectly (as possible).

First, I bought one from walmart, thinking it would probably be free of defects, and at worst since I bought it so close to launch, I might have to bring it back once, at most twice (of course why I didn't go to gamecrazy or anywhere else of the like, because their return policies are horrible).

The first one I noticed that my dsi had a dead pixel, so I brought it back right away. Now, at this point I'm very aware of any possible defect, so I'm looking for a perfect, or near perfect one (and why not, for $180 NEW, you should get a PERFECT one).

My second had backlight leakage, and had a crooked screen, along with dust under the bottom screen because of the backlight leakage.

My third had a severley uneven screen (tilted down and to the right), at this point, I was noticing a trend (my first probably had it, but I was preoccupied with the dead pixel), every one had either tilted screens, 1 or both!

So I went to walmart, they let me look at every dsi before buying it, and they ALL had CROOKED screens, every one of them!!! So I finally picked one, and called nintendo and told them about it, and they said they had never even heard of it, but would fix the problem if I wanted to send it in, so I did today. The one I picked was one of the better ones, it had a perfect/near pefect top screen (except for backlight leakage, which they all had as well, and told them to fix that too), and a tilted (down and to the right) bottom screen, by probably 2 or 3 pixels, significant, considering the screen is only 3.25 inches.

Also, I looked at a couple of other companies dsi's, telling them I'd buy one with a big fat warranty (which they'd get commission on, so they did it) if I could find a PERFECT one, of course I didn't, so it wasn't just walmart stock.

Basically, I've looked at about 20 dsi's or so, and every one of them had either one crooked screen, or both- so I bet if you really check the black borders of the lcd, its crooked, and pretty soon the tilt will start growing by the second!!! I'd like to hear everybodies responses, and if they are going to live with it, I didn't, because I know I will void my warranty as soon as I get my supercard dsonei!

2. nagareboshi

Member nagareboshi GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Yes, I have noticed this as well. I've looked through a lot of photos on flickr ad I've noticed some DSi with the same "problems". The most common I've seen was the gap on the touch screen's left side.
    Mine also has some gaps. I've made some photos to show some examples:

The gap:
    [​IMG]

in comparison to the "good side"
    [​IMG]

and here's another one. also seen on some other DSis
    [​IMG]

the upper edges also seem a little crooked
    [​IMG]

again the "good side" which has no gaps
    [​IMG]

I haven't returned mine though because I've seen way too many photos with the same issues, so I thought I have to search through hundreds of DSis to get a nearly perfect one.
    Those DSis in commercials however are perfect [​IMG]

3. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    wow.

what sort of shoddy rubbish is this.

4. KicksDS

Newcomer KicksDS Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    This is what my top screen is like, and by backlight leakage, do you mean light coming through the sides of the screen?

5. hollywood6964
    OP

Newcomer hollywood6964 Newbie

United States
    yeah, especially look at the sides of the screen in the dark, you'll see then where it is really bad, which will cause dust at some point in time, especially bottom screen because its always sitting flat, and when you clean it, the screen is in a divet, so the dust has nowhere to go but in the cracks.

6. ball2012003

ball2012003 Newbie

mines perfectly fine

7. blainy

Member blainy GBAtemp Fan

Australia

supercard will not void your warranty..only flashme will void it, and besides, noone needs to use it any more

8. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    and, it doesn't work on the dsi either [​IMG]

9. blainy

Member blainy GBAtemp Fan

Australia

havent they released a dsi version of the supercard yet?? i was under the impression that they had..

10. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    He meant the flashme. Theres a Supercard DS One i already out some time.

11. megawalk

Member megawalk The Legendary SRW Addict

Netherlands
    why is it that the DSi is such a fail ?!
    if nintendo wanted to make the ultimate hand-held of today then serious...get a fatter ds. not flatter.
    this is another reason why i am against DSi

12. 5%

Member 5% GBAtemp Fan

i'm not sure if mine's tilted, maybe i'll take some pictures and post it up here so you can decide

13. Reiniku

Newcomer Reiniku Member

United States
    I just purchased a DSi today and if it's tilted it's not tilted enough to actually offend me. 1-3 degrees at the most. No dead pixels and no real backlight bleeding. Happier with this than my damn HDTV.

14. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I don't have any tilted or dust or leaking backlight issues, but I have noticed the seam on the thin square surrounding the lower screen has a noticeably larger gap on the LEFT side than the RIGHT side. But it doesn't bother me at all, no leaking backlight, etc

Also I just noticed now when I looked hard enough, it seems the TOP screen has the same left-hand seam, so I guess they match up well enough (if it even has anything to do with anything in the 1st place)

15. yeahitschris

Member yeahitschris GBAtemp Regular

United States
    aw mang, my DSi, the top screen right side is touching the top of the bottom part of the DSi, while my left side has room. you think im able to return it to game stop? complaining that the screen is tilted?

16. Finishoff

Member Finishoff GBAtemp Fan

United States
    My DSi left side has a gap where the backlight leakage that can be clearly seen at night, but doesn't affect the performance of the system at all. But know after reading this thread I'm depress.

17. edracon

Newcomer edracon Advanced Member

United States
    you guys complain too much.. you can repair this by actually "pushing" the screen to close the gap. (it worked for me.)
    Also, I had no backlight leakage... just a very slightly almost unnoticeable tilt.

18. Finishoff

Member Finishoff GBAtemp Fan

United States
    ^Thanks that helped. Now there's no backlight leakage anymore. Yay! Hope its not a temporary fix @_@

19. yeahitschris

Member yeahitschris GBAtemp Regular

United States
    haha idk idk, i paid for the system myself so i wanna get my moneys worth

20. edracon

Newcomer edracon Advanced Member

United States
    I hope so too. Because if it tilts back (hasn't budged a bit since I pushed it)..... that's just gonna be annoying xD