Almost All Flash Kits Blocked Permanently

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
And they're gone, like a flash (kit) in the pan...
please stop this gahars
Please, that was nothing. I just couldn't think of a good enough lead up for a Flashdance reference.
Flash Carts! Ahhhhhhhhh! They blocked every one of us! (Crazy guitar riff)
Mucho internets if you even get the reference.
I do...... you missed out the 'dun dun dun dun dun' background bit !!!!

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nintendo have done a great job on the whole 3ds security, this why I think the 3ds will never be hacked.
...it took them 4 years to figure out that flashcarts have different hardware than original carts and they can utilize that to block them. Throughout the entire DSi line, nobody came up with that - Nintendo was consistently losing money on DS game sales year after year, and you're telling me they've done a great job on the security? Valwin, please...

Fun Fact: The phrase "Valwin, please..." requires a rage face. I'll be thinking about that today, maybe I come up with something.
Fun Fact 2: Wait, I think I got something... :P

Reactions: 4 people

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's actually a preatty simple while very effective soloution. You have to wonder why they never tried it before.

Glad I upgraded to the DS2 when I got the 3ds. Even though I'm sure we will see new flashcards with the extra chip/space needed.
Hmmm, I wonder.......................Thinks back to another thread.

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I guess there will be soon a firmware update for the DSi too.

Now I'm curious to see how flashcart manufacturer will react, either:
-they'll abandon the ds flashcart market
-try to bypass this by making new flashcarts
-focus on the future.

Wolfenpilot687

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, well, well.
I guess it's great that I still have my DSiXL AND a DSTwo.
Still, I guess I'll keep my flashcard business on the DSi. That thing has a great battery.
I still think the DSTwo shouldn't be such a power hog. So much for the extra-processor. Should have added an external switch to turn it off, but eh.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Well guess this means it makes my update thread a lot easier.

Hopefully flashcard developers will hold there hands up so people can be informed.

I have assumed all other supercard cards are blocked as they state only DSTwo

looks like the r4ids.cn will still live
not sure on any others

no idea why people bothered
there was no bonus hardware available for flashcards that could be used
so just buy a DSLite
there cheaper than a DSTwo, just go down to a pawn shop, I've seen um there for £35 max, seen some places £17

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
This is one of the main reasons I still keep my DS Lite around for whenever I actually feel like using a flashcart. The system can't be updated and therefore there is no need to worry about being blocked.

Reactions: 2 people

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, well, well.
Still, I guess I'll keep my flashcard business on the DSi. That thing has a great battery.
I still think the DSTwo shouldn't be such a power hog. So much for the extra-processor. Should have added an external switch to turn it off, but eh.

The CPU is necessary to make the save state and in game text reader work as well as it does. It is probably not possible to turn off the CPU without also turning off the in game menu as well.

Wolfenpilot687

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, well, well.

The CPU is necessary to make the save state and in game text reader work as well as it does. It is probably not possible to turn off the CPU without also turning off the in game menu as well.
Well, I don't have much use for that.
Sometimes, it would be fine if it behaved like a regular flashcard.
But well, that's how it is.

furbyhaterex

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
By luck my SCDS2 arrived yesterday. :P I guess my AK2i is limited to my DSi and old 3DS.

Weren't there a limited capable headers that could be exploited, why don't Nintendo just end it.
Nintendo have done a great job on the whole 3ds security, this why I think the 3ds will never be hack.
...it took them 4 years to figure out that flashcarts have different hardware than original carts and they can utilize that to block them. Throughout the entire DSi line, nobody came up with that - Nintendo was consistently losing money on DS game sales year after year, and you're telling me they've done a great job on the security? Valwin, please...

Fun Fact: The phrase "Valwin, please... requires a rage face. I'll be thinking about that today, maybe I come up with something.
Fun Fact 2: Wait, I think I got something... :P
Obviously Valwin is referring to 3DS mode, if so you can't bash him as the 3DS is nowhere to be exploited at this current date.

However saying 'never' lol What is made by man, can be broken into.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte