Won't fix Allow OPs to modify their thread title

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by dark_samus3, Dec 28, 2015.

?

Would you like the ability to change thread titles?

1. Yes

85.7%
  2. No

14.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dark_samus3
    OP

dark_samus3 GBAtemp Addict

May 30, 2015
    United States
    This would be a simple thing, give access to the OP on their own thread title, it would cut down on the work the mods have to do and generally take out some of the annoyance some users experience with thread titles :) it would make me (and I think many of the mods here) very happy

Last edited by dark_samus3, Dec 28, 2015
    Braig and Rizzorules like this.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    If only title changes were a significant timesink or otherwise troubling for the mods.

Anyway on other sites people have abused such options far too much so it is not likely to happen here.

If it is some small consolation then if you want then in the url the only thing that matters is the number -- http://gbatemp.net/threads/la-la-la-I-met-A-fish-last-night.407057/ will bring you here just as quickly as the original one you put.

DrCrygor07 likes this.
  3. dark_samus3
    OP

May 30, 2015
    United States
    I see it on most other forums, not sure how it can be abused? If just the OP has access, it's their thread they should have access to it

Rizzorules likes this.
  4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I tend not to see it on other forums, or if it is then it is more of a change request that then gets to be OKed by a passing staff member.

Abuse usually comes in the form of changing things if we promote to the portal, changing everything when someone decides to leave the site, changing things so the older threads end up a sea of swears and stupidity. It is easier then to man the reports section and requests in IRC or the threads themselves rather than allow people to change it as it takes no time for a mod to change it -- things are available in the thread, in the forum sections, in the new posts list and other places still. In 99.99% of all cases it will not need any staff discussion either (my new tool/version is out can you change it, the thread morphed to discuss something else, I have a typo, can you change it to be a bit more descriptive*...).
    If by some strange happenstance it did all become a burden on the staff (again it is not, never has been and I can not envisage it becoming one) then something could be considered but for now the potential for abuse means you will have to continue on with the reports or asking staff on IRC or something.

*staff members passing by will tend to change the generic "I have a problem", "please help" and "how screwed am I?" type titles to something a tiny bit more descriptive as a matter of course.

5. Kartik

Kartik Gbatemp advanced fan

Jun 6, 2015
    India
    github
    you should have a poll

Daggot likes this.
  6. dark_samus3
    OP

May 30, 2015
    United States
    Added

Dionicio3 likes this.
  7. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    That is a shame when you can't even trust your own users on a website to not abuse things like that when you give them options. Would be nice though.

loco365, Tomato Hentai and Rizzorules like this.
  8. dark_samus3
    OP

May 30, 2015
    United States
    Yeah it is very much a shame... Though I'm not sure how it can be abused really...

Rizzorules likes this.
  9. VinsCool

VinsCool Insecure

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Voting yes.

It's very useful to add a [SOLVED] bracket to a question. That shows that the case is closed and such.

Also useful for fixing typos, changing a version number, and such.

10. Kartik

Kartik Gbatemp advanced fan

Jun 6, 2015
    India
    github
    we could use flairs for that

11. dark_samus3
    OP

May 30, 2015
    United States
    So I'm thinking about it and abuse isn't an issue, if a member is troublesome then they're going to be troublesome. So we're gonna have problems with them either way, it doesn't make sense not to let us modify an OP... Tl;dr if a user is troublesome we'll have trouble, mods will have to take care of it anyways this shouldn't be an issue

12. Black-Ice

Black-Ice Founder of the Church of Renamon

Oct 31, 2011
    London
    If every feature was brushed aside because "someone might abuse it" we'd have no features

I think this is a good idea.

dark_samus3 and VinsCool like this.
  13. VinsCool

VinsCool Insecure

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    And considering that the trading area let us edit thred titles, and that the early GBAtemp v5 allowed me to edit a thread title on my own (now it's not possible anymore for some reason), and nobody abused it, I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be a good idea.

Black-Ice likes this.
  14. dark_samus3
    OP

May 30, 2015
    United States
    XD "the mods have decided that too much abuse has happened with the "reply" function you must ask a mod before you may reply to a thread"

15. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    People have abused such things in the past and elsewhere in the world and it is not limiting to either the staff or really all that troubling to the users -- the title is about a sentence long and is also very important so if you can not have something good as a title and not screw it up then you have bigger problems.

If it happened I would not go on record saying it was a bad plan but I am not seeing the need to remove it. However shortly after "trust but verify" in talks of security comes "if you limit the scope for harm then harm tends to be less", or more cynically give them an inch and they will take a mile.

I have seen forums where you have to interview to join. They never get big but they do often stay on topic and have good discussions.

16. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    As an admin myself I can guarantee that nothing good can ever come from this!

17. VinsCool

VinsCool Insecure

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    So I'm on forums that allow that, and nothing bad cme out of allowing thread edits.

Aren't we on a contradiction here?

nxwing likes this.
  18. dark_samus3
    OP

May 30, 2015
    United States
    How though? It's a title, we shouldn't need mods to verify what WE want in OUR threads :P

If you can cause trouble with a title then there's something wrong with you

Ammako likes this.
  19. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    We sure are. Fist fight, brah?

Last edited by guitarheroknight, Dec 28, 2015
    Ammako likes this.
  20. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    The abuse thing is BS, plenty of forums have it and there's no problems with it and either way if someone does abuse it then just ban them.
    I'm for the thread name change thing, calling mods is stupid (and iirc temp had it before and there was no problems).

VinsCool likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.