Suggestion Allow OP to edit thread title

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by nxwing, May 26, 2016.

?

Do you think we should be given the right to edit our own thread title?

1. Hell yeah!

2. Hell no!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. nxwing
    OP

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    We all know that the Temp is undergoing a lot of spam lately. This means that there will be a ton of reports that can stress them out.

Let's take a look at a hypothetical situation that may happen in real life. Staff member logs in to Temp (or just opens Temp in browser if they don't log out). Gets a ton of reports and/or tags. Checks out said reports and/or tags. Notices that most of them are requests to rename a thread because of typos and/or other reason.

Instead of the staff being able to monitor the forums and be on the look out for spam/bots/off-topic chatter, they instead have to deal with our small shit.

I guess you could say that it IS their job to deal with our shit but something as simple as editing a thread title? I think we could handle typos and/or renaming a thread title to reflect the status of the thread on our own. They take care of this forum. One of the things we could do is take some workload off of them.

Wouldn't people abuse this? Maybe, but hear me out. Whenever someone abuses this, give them a warning or a PM. They keep on abusing? Revoke them of this right.

I hope this suggestion at least somewhat does something in helping the staff.

That's all folks.

Feeling it! likes this.
  2. Minox

Minox Spytech Employee

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    Changing the name of a topic takes seconds if a new name is provided in the report. It really isn't an issue.

VinsCool, BORTZ and nxwing like this.
  3. BurningDesire

BurningDesire GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    Behind a screen reading news
    I think a better solution would be to allow tempers' to change the prefix to official, bug, etc... So it gets a little more organized. Also, why not make it so new members HAVE to add the prefix.

Feeling it!, espen and nxwing like this.
  4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    nxwing and DinohScene like this.
  5. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    People are going to abuse that.
    Mostly people that want attention on noob questions...

zoogie, migles and nxwing like this.
  6. nxwing
    OP

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    Perhaps giving this right only to Advance Members and above only might counter that?

Feeling it! likes this.
  7. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    To give emphasis to the need for this feature, you should have typed "turtle" instead of title.

8. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Doesn't take much for someone to spam to the Advanced member group.

9. nxwing
    OP

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    Feeling it! likes this.
  10. Voxel

Voxel Fable Junkie

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Wouldn't priveliges like that encourage shitposting? Because new members could turn out to be so desperate for that sort of feature that they would just attempt to somehow quickly boost their post count for it as soon as possible!

11. BurningDesire

Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    Feeling it! and nxwing like this.
  12. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    let me guess, you ain't happy with your "fapping habits" blog title?
    (sorry, i had to make this joke)

well sometimes you are struggling to give a title, write everything then someone suggests a better name or you know a better name an half hour later..
    anyway, we can always use report and a moderator will gladly change it for us..
    ability to freely change the title will make it hard to search that same thread or to recognize it if a person changes it more than 3 times..
    i like how it is now, however we could have an ability to rename a thread just once, this way we can remove typos or cuz we thought a better name (which i guess it's not implemented on xenforos)

EDIT: but then you remember, gbtemp's name was supposed to be temporary... how ironic we can't change our names neither thread tittles:rofl2::rofl2:

Last edited by migles, May 26, 2016
    Feeling it! and nxwing like this.
  13. nxwing
    OP

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    I've read the previous thread and the replies to this thread. Thanks for your replies.

@migles reply has caught my attention. A single title edit could also do for small typos. Anything more than that would require assistance from staff.

Making this possible in select sections of the forum might also help. It can prevent the EOF abusing this.

As for the possibility of users abusing this, you can revoke this feature if you choose to add it in the first place. A forum I was once a member at gave this title edit a try and people didn't abuse it so they kept it. The delete-your-own-thread function on the other hand, backfired.

If the staff wants it, we can do a test run where this feature is implemented for a certain amount of time, let's say three days. During and/or after the test run, we could submit our feedbacks and suggestions. If all is well, then I say we keep it or undergo another test run. If it got abused, then by all means, do what you have to.

14. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I saw that, barely rated as a dribble.

People always seem to assume I am a nice person. I have never quite figured out why.

Anyway I said what needed to be said in that thread linked and things have not changed since.

BurningDesire likes this.
  15. BurningDesire

Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    Probably because you respond to most un answered questions in great detail :P

nxwing likes this.
  16. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    A small window to change the title (say 2 hours or something) would prevent abuse while still allowing ample time for the user to do so.

17. Feeling it!

Feeling it! Pure Logical Feels.

Feb 21, 2016
    United States
    Running.
    I think that the thread title can some times be annoying when asking a question so if it could atleast be given a prefix like "solved" or something that would be nice.