Suggestion Allow Native OS X Notifications

BurningDesire

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering how hard / easy it would be to add native OS X notifications for alerts / PMs and have them optional like

Alerts
Allow Alerts for Replies (quotes)
Allow alerts for (insert conversation here) and you can select individual conversations to be alerted about.
Allow Alerts for replies to a specific thread

https://developer.apple.com/notifications/safari-push-notifications/

Last edited by BurningDesire,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Spend effort catering to filthy Apple users? Are you mad?

Anyway it is often said forums are not for extensive replies (*whistles nonchalantly*), PMs are a weaker version of email and I am quite happy to call alerts a lesser version of whatever they are much like the others in this list.

The issue will come in the means used to check for updates. It does seem to be an active rather than page refresh so it is probably not impossible. It is however rather distasteful... I mean apple stuff...

Reactions: Seriel

BurningDesire

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spend effort catering to filthy Apple users? Are you mad?

Anyway it is often said forums are not for extensive replies (*whistles nonchalantly*), PMs are a weaker version of email and I am quite happy to call alerts a lesser version of whatever they are much like the others in this list.

The issue will come in the means used to check for updates. It does seem to be an active rather than page refresh so it is probably not impossible. It is however rather distasteful... I mean apple stuff...
I see you have a sour taste for apple. Either way I feel it would make connecting with other users more useful since we would have to have the browser on the same desktop we are currently on to see if we got a notification.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a "sour taste" for everything -- too many years in tech have left me of the opinion that everything is a rip off or con made by idiots for idiots, but I have to get things done so I do. Nothing is above mocking and next to nothing deserves any respect.

Anyway as the website was made for those that already guzzled the proverbial cool aid I read the PDF presentation on the site. For those unaware proper push notifications are a different thing to browser based notifications which are ultimately just a bit more javascript. Push then wants something on the server, futzing around with apple developer certs (not necessarily the full ones but something non trivial) and you have a bunch of authentication stuff to handle (no idea how well that will tie into facebook stuff).

By "same desktop" is that what the rest of the world knows as workspaces? Do many people make extensive use of them? Granted most that would that I know tend to have two screens so that is a different matter. Sure they are quite nice for doing four different but similar things (classic example being 4 shh sessions in different servers) at the same time.

And all this for not so many users (I know there is the US college/university crowd pushing the numbers up a bit) to have a fairly minor perk considering this is a forum rather than something like an auction/selling site, service provider or a social network or some such.

BurningDesire

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a "sour taste" for everything -- too many years in tech have left me of the opinion that everything is a rip off or con made by idiots for idiots, but I have to get things done so I do. Nothing is above mocking and next to nothing deserves any respect.

Anyway as the website was made for those that already guzzled the proverbial cool aid I read the PDF presentation on the site. For those unaware proper push notifications are a different thing to browser based notifications which are ultimately just a bit more javascript. Push then wants something on the server, futzing around with apple developer certs (not necessarily the full ones but something non trivial) and you have a bunch of authentication stuff to handle (no idea how well that will tie into facebook stuff).

By "same desktop" is that what the rest of the world knows as workspaces? Do many people make extensive use of them? Granted most that would that I know tend to have two screens so that is a different matter. Sure they are quite nice for doing four different but similar things (classic example being 4 shh sessions in different servers) at the same time.

And all this for not so many users (I know there is the US college/university crowd pushing the numbers up a bit) to have a fairly minor perk considering this is a forum rather than something like an auction/selling site, service provider or a social network or some such.
As for your workspaces question here is my daily setup

A Workspace for social browsing
A workspace for productive browsing
A workspace for Xcode
A workspace for Sublime text.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte