Suggestion Allow Bloggers to Prevent Further Replies on the Blog?

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by blujay, Jun 12, 2017.

1. blujay
    OP

blujay GBATemp's Official Warthog

Nov 2, 2015
    United States
    Gilbert, Arizona
    This may be a stupid idea (and I know some people would abuse this if it became a thing) but could it be possible to allow people to prevent replies on their blogs?

Lots of people are posting blogs now about their sexuality, gender, and other things that some people just want to put out their and not receive criticism for. Maybe prevent replying to their blogs for this purpose.

If somebody is announcing their departure from the temp, they might want to prevent replies on the subject.

I know that if I personally posted some of my internal opinions, I would receive a lot of hate from others.

Anyways, this probably sounds childish, but I think it would be a good idea (also it would allow users to stop bad discussions before they evolve.)

2. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 Some Cool Skiddo

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    If they don't want to be criticized, don't post it. Also, having the ability to lock a blog can be used in so many bad ways

Stephano likes this.
  3. blujay
    OP

Nov 2, 2015
    United States
    Gilbert, Arizona
    This is also true

4. Stephano

Stephano I love you Charlie

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    On the floor of the Engineering building
    Nothing is immune to criticism no matter what CNN says. People should always be careful about what they say. Leaving blogs open would promote rational thought and be more beneficial. As for the Poster of the blog, they can't just silence someone they disagree with. That's violating free speech. Thats why this site is so special compared to Neo Gaff. Everyone has a voice. :D Although that doesn't give people an excuse to be a prick. If you become one, expect to get the boot. (i'm not saying you, i'm just speaking generally)

Quantumcat likes this.
  5. blujay
    OP

Nov 2, 2015
    United States
    Gilbert, Arizona
    ok now this seems useless (the OP). Wasn't thinking very hard when I made the thread :P

6. Stephano

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    Like i said, posts like this promote rational thought. Don't be ashamed at all. I've made plenty of pointless threads that i can easily solve myself. Those threads teach me to more independent.(Although i may bother others :rofl:) Its all good fam.

7. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    What would actually help us mod staff would be some slightly more flexible tools for the blog sections. Right now what we can actually do to police a blog is pretty limited.

8. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Actually, being that a blog is personal, a blog should really be a property of its creator in all its right.
    To the point the creator should be able to admin and mod it as they see fit.
    Locking it, unlocking it, blocking users, deleting comments, whatever they wanted.
    At least, IMHO.

9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I think as GBAtemp is first and foremost a discussion forum, it doesn't really make sense for users to be able to prevent discussion.

10. Stephano

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    Valid

11. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Sure, but the blogs are under the GBAtemp staff jurisdiction. Sure the blogs are the creators are in control of what they post. But giving bloggers the full reigns would quickly lead to abuse and members taking a piss with the freedom... at the end of the day, we as staff are responsible for what is presented on our site.

12. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    To me a blog is a statement or a thought that don't need a reply, maybe blogs could have a timer on them to close after a preset amount of time.