Suggestion Allow attachments in conversations

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by mashers, Nov 29, 2016.

1. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Currently, you can't attach files to messages in private conversations. This can be annoying, especially when collaborating on projects by PM or if sending pictures. Would it be possible for users to be allowed to send messages in conversations with files attached?

Zonta85 likes this.
  2. VinsCool

VinsCool Comfortably Numb

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    I vote for this so much. Especially for images. Linking to an external site everytime is a pain in the ass.

3. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    I wonder whether the reason this is not allowed is because it would make it easier to share illicit files privately without mods being able to see it. But if people want to do that, they'll just upload the file somewhere and PM the link anyway. So I think there is a case for adding this feature.

4. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    For images use
    Code:
    [img][/img]
    for files in general, why don't you use something like Puush?

5. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    The difference would be privately sharing links to an illicit file, and the temp hosting said illicit file.

6. VinsCool

VinsCool Comfortably Numb

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    We don't all use that though.

7. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    I didn't know you could use that tag for images. Does it definitely work in PM?

I've never heard of Puush. I looked on the site though and it said it's for sharing screenshots. Does it work with other files as well?

True. Does that make a difference in terms of copyright infringement?

8. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    Hosting is always worse. Hosting can get your site in SERIOUS trouble, while a link to another site won't (to the same extent).
    But yeah, sending links to illicit files in PM are against the rules anyway ;)

9. Seriel

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    United Kingdom
    UK
    If its hosted in temps servers and they don't notice or do anything about it then they may get in trouble I assume

10. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    True, both are against the rules.

I would hope that in that situation "doing anything about it" would include immediately removing the file as soon as they were aware of it, and sanctioning the user who broke that rule. I don't know if it works that way though.

I suspect that any moderator response to this request would be that it's too much of a risk. Shame really as it would make things much easier.

11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Generally speaking the upload facility on the forums is considered a nice perk rather than anything to invest any time in. GBAtemp has an upload facility of some potency, it is called https://filetrip.net/ (and is linked in the user bar as http://gbatemp.net/home/filetrip ). It has facilities to make public galleries and shares, linkable (only those with a link) and private (only you).

Seriel likes this.