Hacking All USB loaders now freeze at installing a backup

DrDean

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is a recent issue I've had. My games have backed up perfectly before, but upon installing them they usually just freeze in USB Loader GX and WiiFlow. Silent Hill Shattered Memories always freezes at 1.48%, Xenoblade Chronicles freezes around 0.54%, etc. I am fairly certain this is because I've tried to make my Wii play Gamecube games using DIOS MIOS and installing the WAD for it has messed something up some how, as it's the only thing that has changed since the last time I attempted to backup a game. It also does not appear to be these specific games; trying to reinstall a game I've installed previously also freezes at an early point. Is there a way to uninstall DIOS MIOS and return to my original MIOS? Would reinstalling WiiFlow and USB Loader GX help? Thanks in advance.

DrDean

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Installing the MIOS10 wad from ModMii didn't seem to work. Games still freeze at install. Only difference is that Shattered Memories is freezing at 1.45% now instead of 1.48%. I guess I must have messed something else up. Dang. :(

chop

Trophies
XP
Country
Installing the MIOS10 wad from ModMii didn't seem to work. Games still freeze at install. Only difference is that Shattered Memories is freezing at 1.45% now instead of 1.48%. I guess I must have messed something else up. Dang. :(

Have you tried playing your games from the disc channel, perhaps your laser has gone.

DrDean

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Have you tried playing your games from the disc channel, perhaps your laser has gone.
Games from the disc work fine.

It's okay if installing from disc doesn't work, I suppose. I could always just rip the disc to my PC and do it that way; it just takes a lot longer.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
My guess would be filesystem corruption or (less likely) hardware damage

somethings to try

-scan the FS for errors to rule out nr. 1

-try filling to 100% witth a pc (since it can choose a different location to write to
-run a nodestructive read/write test (eg with "badblocks -vns" iirc)
-check the SMART data of the drive (eg with smartctl)

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
wbfs:
wiimms wwt

other on windows:
rklick drive, preferences(iirc), scan for errors
or chkdsk on console

other in linux:
fsck

DrDean

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That didn't work. It did say that there was a file system error, but it had fixed it, and didn't say anything about it again after scanning after that. I've tried multiple games and they still freeze. WiiFlow gets a crash screen immediately trying to install a game, and USB Loader GX does the freezing. Configurable USB loader also freezes.

Do you think re-homebrewing it would work?

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
just that there was a problem with the FS does not mean that the HW is good
you need to check that too
run badblocks or wharever the windows guys use instead

DrDean

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hm, it does appear to be the drive and not any of my loaders. I tried a USB thumbstick I had and all my loaders worked fine with installing a game onto it.

I did something stupid the other day and unplugged the drive while it was checking for bad blocks. Now it doesn't want to check for them again, or tell me if the file system is clean. However, I think I will try to format the drive and spend an afternoon replacing the games on it. I'll update if that works.

Update: Yeah, reformatting it seems to have worked. Sloppy and heavy handed, but it worked. :P Thanks for all the help, guys.

Ntbear

Trophies
XP
Country
Reformat didn't work for me. All backups freeze at <2% with usbloadergx or wiiflow.

Discs play fine, tried several different usb disks, some ntfs, some fat32, always a freeze.

Had an ancient softmod, i recently ran hackmii on top of it and installed all the wads it gave me, hadn't tried backups before that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Those IHOP chips are actually pretty damn good
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They're made with left over pancake/wafle batter, that's been sitting out all day.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    3 hours on a riding lawn mower, my butt is numb and my whole body is still vibrating. Gonna be a long summer. :cry: I just need to buy some goats.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Did you leave your buttplug in?
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi
    +3
  • Flame @ Flame:
    Ancientboi at it again.
    +2
  • Flame @ Flame:
    is it a bird is it a plane... no its Ancientboi banging your ass away !
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Took along time to fit it in?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Snow days $25 on steam may grab it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Measuring sizes with AncientBoi, I see.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics...