Hacking all this shovelware

slickric33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
w/ 2 little kids and being a 40 something gamer, the shovelware on the ds is sending me over the edge, bored after any game more than 5 min playing so im thinking about taking the plunge and forking over some cash for a psp, but i know nothing about if the new ones are hackable. are they software hacks and do games contain updates like the wii , is it a pain in the ass or easy to figure, or what im asking is it possible w/ the newer ones in stores now? if so im sure i can figure out the rest thanks

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's a PSP forum, you know.
smile.gif

Some games contain updates, but if you have an up-to-date custom firmware, you can get around most of them. I'd stay away from the PSP-3000 though, if I were you, and go with a PSP-2000. You can buy both of them in the stores, just pay attention to the model number on the box.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSP are also not good. Your going to get bored within a week. All the PSP are hackable. I have both and I enjoy my DS more. Because on my PSP I only have a 2gb memory stick and can't put a lot of games since most are over 600Mb. I only have like 5 games on my PSP. But they all get boring. I have both GTA I have God OF War, Midnight Club LA, Medal Of Honor, NFS Most Wanted. They all got boring.

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jakob95 said:
PSP are also not good. Your going to get bored within a week. All the PSP are hackable. I have both and I enjoy my DS more. Because on my PSP I only have a 2gb memory stick and can't put a lot of games since most are over 600Mb. I only have like 5 games on my PSP. But they all get boring. I have both GTA I have God OF War, Midnight Club LA, Medal Of Honor, NFS Most Wanted. They all got boring.
Insisting the ds is not good?

Psp has plenty of great games, plus emulators and homebrew.

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
The only real reason to get a PSP is for N64 emulators which aren't even 100% yet. You can complain all you want about shovelware and kid crap on the DS, but DS gets some of the best games hands down at the cost of graphics. And any real gamer will say that they'd prefer fun games over pretty games any day.

Not to mention as far as running games, the DS takes over by FAR. With an 8 GB card for $10 on amazon that can house more DS games than the amount of "Good" or better titles in the entire PSP library. Mind you a PSP can use 8GB cards, but its suddenly less impressive when the average PSP game takes atleast 600MB. And the downloading is grueling. If you want to play PSP's blockbuster titles, they're often 1.3GB + are often too large for HTTP download, and you have to rely on slow torrent downloading that could take as much as hours to days. Compare that to a 3-5 minute download of a 128MB game.

Even with the shovelware, the DS boasts 4000+ Roms and isn't slowing down and is popping out at least 25 games in America a month. The PSP on average, 6. And the PSP isn't imune to shovelware and bad games as I'm pretty sure I saw an ad the other day for a Hannah Montana game for PSP.

And as a PSP owner, the only games I have to look forward to is Little Big Planet, Dirt 2, and Kingdom Hearts.

As a DS Owner, I have Golden Sun, a new Zelda, Gauntlet, NFS Nitro, an F-Zero clone (if it gets published), Dirt 2, Scribblenaughts, Countless RPG's, Wario Ware, even more Wifi-games, a hack for New Super Mario Bros that mimics the Lost Levels, the list goes on.

slickric33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks guys , didnt realize psp had so much junk too, ill stick to kirby canvas curse while im waiting somewhere bored

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
the PSP focuses on hardware rather than softwares so dont buy PSP if you expect more games support.

How many games are there in the PSP database? compare to 4100 DS games (including insane shovelware?)

I must admit that I do enjoy my new secondhand PSP2001 but I only have few games, 5 games. It's getting me bored if i play those games straight.

find some good DS games to relax your mind.

Im speaking on what's in my mind and I think I speak in the middle.

Gullwing

homo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definately DS over PSP... The psp is full of those PS2 and PS2 re-makes... Pointless Spyro and Crash Bandicoot remakes and some racing games that look all the same... Spyro and Crash bandicoot where so cool back in the PS1... but they screwed them... Anyway, stick with your Ds.

Posts merged

Definately DS over PSP... The psp is full of those PS2 and PS2 re-makes... Pointless Spyro and Crash Bandicoot remakes and some racing games that look all the same... Spyro and Crash bandicoot where so cool back in the PS1... but they screwed them... Anyway, stick with your Ds.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gullwing said:

Posts merged

They did screw Crash and Spyro, but they were good in their day. Remaking any of their PS1 games, or even a few of their PS2 games, would give me endless pressure.

You have to admit the DS has more shovelware than the PSP. The DS has over 4,000 games (well, dumped games, that includes re-releases and multiple regions), and I doubt even 200 are good. Although it all depends on your taste.

After having the DS for a few months I realized I should've gotten a PSP instead. Nowadays I'm glad I have a DS, but I would've loved a PSP more. For those "bad remakes" and "racing games", you've also got Metal Gear Solid games, God of War, Syphon Filter, GTA (not a water-downed overhead experience), Resistence, Monster Hunter, Jak and Daxter, and Ratchet and Clank. I don't even own a PSP, but I'm jealous of it.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Njrg said:
Not to mention as far as running games, the DS takes over by FAR. With an 8 GB card for $10 on amazon that can house more DS games than the amount of "Good" or better titles in the entire PSP library. Mind you a PSP can use 8GB cards, but its suddenly less impressive when the average PSP game takes atleast 600MB. And the downloading is grueling. If you want to play PSP's blockbuster titles, they're often 1.3GB + are often too large for HTTP download, and you have to rely on slow torrent downloading that could take as much as hours to days. Compare that to a 3-5 minute download of a 128MB game.

What? Nothing is too large for a HTTP download. All I ever use for PSP ISOs are direct links, and even the games that are "1.3GB +" can be downloaded in less than an hour.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
torrent download? mine is uber fast for sure!
too bad my connection is slow
1.3GB usually takes around 1 hour for me
smile.gif

few hundred MB games will only take 30 minutes or less
smile.gif

the last time i check there are more than 1800 titles for psp

i do find PSP games are much more attractive than the one DS offers!
DS don't have games like katamari, locoroco, patapon, hero 30, yuusha no nama ikida and etc
these games focus on innovations, gaming experience and creativity
smile.gif

too bad i don't see such games for DS...

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
Well you know, with such a big library we will certainly find some gems. DS has some good games... Some are innovative(Scribblenauts) some follow the fun formulaes very closely and are good too. And PSP has some good looking games.

Though seeing and actually playing is different... I didn't think much of Dissidia and thought Crisis Core and Monster Hunter were only "good"... they don't suit my taste. Maybe a little too generic. Or maybe just because I have a ps2 and I feel the games pale in comparison to it.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
Domination,
we were talking about that earlier on and we are actually pretty excited about the game
someone would dump the word list for us
tongue.gif
hooo hooo
if this game is as good as it advertised! of course then it is one of the rare gems for DS
smile.gif

i agree with your point thus i didn't want talk to talk about FF, MGS, MH and etc? Otherwise, someone would just bring games like soma bringer or those remakes out to compare...
it will then end up to be some flame thread

BedtimeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
honestly i have both a psp and a ds... and the psp has VERY few good games. i keep getting a game because the box description sounds cool and the graphics are amazing, then it SUCKS! i only really liked tokobots, ratchet & clank, patapon, katamari, and some metal gear solid. but the ds has hundreds of games that i REALY loved. way too many for me to list, so in my opinion the psp isnt worth it. as far as hacking it goes it was pretty easy for mine, more complicated than ds but easier than wii.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
is always good to have all the consoles
tongue.gif

*hide*

the only thing i am concerning about PSP is whether will someone work on the latest custom firmware
it seems like the road to crack psp firmware is getting tougher and tougher

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Njrg said:
The only real reason to get a PSP is for N64 emulators which aren't even 100% yet. You can complain all you want about shovelware and kid crap on the DS, but DS gets some of the best games hands down at the cost of graphics. And any real gamer will say that they'd prefer fun games over pretty games any day.

Even with the shovelware, the DS boasts 4000+ Roms and isn't slowing down and is popping out at least 25 games in America a month. The PSP on average, 6. And the PSP isn't imune to shovelware and bad games as I'm pretty sure I saw an ad the other day for a Hannah Montana game for PSP.

And as a PSP owner, the only games I have to look forward to is Little Big Planet, Dirt 2, and Kingdom Hearts.

As a DS Owner, I have Golden Sun, a new Zelda, Gauntlet, NFS Nitro, an F-Zero clone (if it gets published), Dirt 2, Scribblenaughts, Countless RPG's, Wario Ware, even more Wifi-games, a hack for New Super Mario Bros that mimics the Lost Levels, the list goes on.

You are forgetting about the SNES emulator (the one on the DS sucks), the Genesis/SegaCD emulator, and the PS1 compatability layer (the PS1 support on the PSP is NOT an emulator any more than Parallels or VMware are). While you are right about the number of native PSP games, the PSP is still one of the best handheld systems there is when it comes to older games, not to mention some very nice homebrew apps. Of course, that is assuming you get a Pandora compatible unit, and not a TA-088v3 Slim or the new PSP 3000 series.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt