All this ban talk, this is just terrible timing.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Gaisuto, Oct 17, 2009.

Oct 17, 2009
  1. Gaisuto
    OP

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    I think that storm we had earlier today fried my 360's ethernet port, it's not receiving any data anymore. I've checked the router, it's showing the lights meaning it's sending data. I checked my laptop to be sure, it's got the lights. I check the back of my 360, no lights. I've tried switching the port it's connect to on the router, I've changed the cable used for it, it's just not connecting. There isn't a way to fix the Ethernet port somehow is there? I'm not getting the Wireless Adapter either, it's just not an option I can afford.

2. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    Have you tried another ethernet cable?

3. Gaisuto
    OP

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    Yep. No go.
    *Edit: ....It just decided to work. I switched the cables the first time and it didn't work. I tried it with a different set of cables and it worked this time. I guess I had two shot cables, go figure. Phew. [​IMG]

4. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    Glad to see you up and running!

5. mpg187

Member mpg187 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Doesn't that plug into the ethernet port anyways?

I have one but it works with everything, not just XBox and it has 4 ports not just one.

6. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    the wireless adapter goes into the USB port

7. mpg187

Canada
    Oh, does the one for the original Xbox go into the ethernet?

You can't use any USB One? M$ shouldn't be allowed to make you use theirs, same for the hard drive. Anti trust.

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    As far as I am aware there is no wireless for the original xbox.

There is however the wireless bridge option which is does go into the ethernet port (the 360's wireless adapter is a distinct piece of hardware that 360 sees while the xbox should not know it is using a wireless bridge).

9. mpg187

Canada
    So the 360 Wireless bridge can do in USB or Ethernet?

10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Wireless bridge: if you will excuse the term is more or less a "wireless wire".
    It can work on the 360 as for all intents and purposes it is a normal network cable that is to say it is not hardware specific; anything that can use a network cable can use one of these (although I would not employ one for anything mission critical or demanding speed).

360 wireless: this is a USB device specifically made for/tweaked for/tied to the 360 with the price tag you probably expect.

The 360 also has a standard network port built in.

If we are going down this route perhaps ethernet over powerline might also be something you want to read: you seem reluctant to run cable which is fair enough, you should know though that your house already has cable running all over it.
    Might be worth checking with your neighbours though as it does tend to kill shortwave and HAM operators tend not to take kindly to that (there is little legal recourse on their part but it tends to come under the "don't be a dick" side of things rather than the law).

11. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    There's also the "new" 360 WiFi device coming out, intended to support N-class WiFi, up to 6 times the speed and with a suitable price increase.

Really, M$ should just release an update to make any USB WiFi work, rather than charging stupid prices for an underwhelming WiFi solution. The wireless bridge might work well, but that's an extra network hub/router/bridge that you'll have to use, and keep constantly plugged in, and that will still only be able to use the 10/100Mbs speed of the ethernet port.

Some Powerline Ethernet adaptors support different phasing for their signals in an attempt not to interfere with other devices running through the powerlines, however there's no way to be sure how well it works until you try it. I have a friend that makes use of it very well, and his connection speeds turn out higher than mine on WiFi only a yard away from the router.

12. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    the new one is the same price of the current one, but they dropped the price of the old one...
    by a whole $20 [​IMG]

13. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Really? I heard they were raising the price of it by around £40ish here. Then again, until they actually release it, it's mostly speculation.

There's a rumour floating around that M$ can't make it work efficiently enough to be N-classed. Something about it only achieving around 100Mbs instead of the average 240Mbs (300Mbs is the ideal but it's never been obtained).

14. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    here the adapter costs $100 (regular)
    the new one will also cost $100 and the old one will be $80 after the release

still a rip off