MakiManPR

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
06l.jpg

Nintendo has confirmed that all of the upcoming 3DS games will be available in both digital and boxed copies on the stores. What do you think? Would you want a digital copy or a boxed copy?

Finally, let’s talk about the games. We’ve got a massive list of AAA content on the way from all of the biggest names in gaming that are all proven franchises, all exclusive to our platform, and all coming to stores both in physical and digital formats in the second half of 2012.

Source

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering how inexpensive a good SD card is worth, this seems like a welcome addition.

I would really want to go digital on my Vita but I don't feel like investing in a large memory card yet. But I definitely see the upsides now. Nintendo just needs to start adding the older stuff too, before it's too late.

MakiManPR

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
If for some reason there is no price difference between a digital copy and a physical copy, then I will first examine how much space a game takes. If it is relatively low, then digital. Otherwise, physical.
I think the idea of Digital Download is really cool and you don't have to carry all the boxes or cartridge with you. And IMO will be better than the PSVita cuz the SD Cards are really cheap compared to the Vita's Cards.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'll be helpful when I get a job and debit card. However, I am one for physical media, and my SD card is already pretty filled up with music and videos, so if I do decide to invest in the games, I'll need a much bigger SD.

Saddamsdevil

Trophies
XP
Country
This'll take care of the excuse "but I use a flashcart so I can have all my games in one cartridge so it takes up less space!"

Physical copies for me.

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country

I can get Kingdom Hearts exactly on the 20th.
Wait, will these games be available instantly after they are out in the shops?

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
I'm not against digital gaming, i have quite a few games on Steam and that's where i would like to leave my digital gaming.

Dunno why, but as far as consoles are concerned i prefer the boxed copy.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'll be helpful when I get a job and debit card. However, I am one for physical media, and my SD card is already pretty filled up with music and videos, so if I do decide to invest in the games, I'll need a much bigger SD.

In all honesty, a 32GB SD card is like.. $20-$30 unless there's some limit on SD cards on the 3DS.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

In all honesty, a 32GB SD card is like.. $20-$30 unless there's some limit on SD cards on the 3DS.
Seriously? That cheap? In that case, I'll get one asap (or at least when I find it necessary).

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There is a pretty big implication of this, not sure if it's been proven before already though.
Up until now, it has been thought that SD card reader wasn't fast enough to run 3DS games (so potential piracy would require a flash cart).
Now we know it's not true.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously? That cheap? In that case, I'll get one asap (or at least when I find it necessary).

I just checked Amazon and I dunno how good certain brands are but the general range was $20-$30.

The 3DS definitely has an upperhand there compared to the $120 arm-and-leg price of Vita cards. I mean beforehand I really didn't complain about Vita cards since I rarely thought I'd use it outside of a few apps, save data, and maybe some games, but I'm not wishing I invested in a gigantic one since swapping games is a pain and downloadable game sizes are a pain. Almost half my card is taken up by Dissidia 012.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
Also the boxed copy of the game will probably cheaper on Amazon than what they will be asking for a digital copy if the PS3 digital downloads are anything to go by.

Reactions: 1 person

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is why I even had a flashcart to begin with, all my games kept on one device. :)
There are gonna be titles I would rather still have a physical copy of, Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario, but there are titles I'd like to have as digital copies so they're always available, like NSMB2 and Animal Crossing.

That being said when I buy digital copies, I'm going to be buying the vouchers for them instead, game shops have negotiable prices and promotions like reward schemes, plus the voucher can be kept kinda like a boxed copy as proof of purchase.

Anyhow it's time to get that 32gb memory card!

Reactions: 2 people

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
A nice addition, but what I'd love to see is multiple via retail. In other words, buy a game and it would include an activation code. Thus you could load the game via eShop if necessary (linked to your account).

Sure it's quite far fetched, especially when they can ask double the price for it, but it would lessen the need (and usefulness) of flashcarts

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A nice addition, but what I'd love to see is multiple via retail. In other words, buy a game and it would include an activation code. Thus you could load the game via eShop if necessary (linked to your account).

Sure it's quite far fetched, especially when they can ask double the price for it, but it would lessen the need (and usefulness) of flashcarts
This is more in line with what I want, but it's too exploitable.
What you're buying is effectively two copies of a game, a download and a cartridge.
There's no way to tie the cartridge to the 3DS that uses the download, unless the combo-pack is pricier you can just give the second copy to someone else.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think the issue would be that you could give the code to a friend and they'd get the game for free. Most types of security to make sure this wouldn't happen would be a pain as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM