All of a sudden...

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by khan, Feb 8, 2007.

1. khan
    OP

khan GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 17, 2003
    Pakistan
    Hi all, lately i have been using DSOrganize alot and this morning there seems to be prob with my microSD card(SanDisk Ultra II 1GB).
    It wont let me copy/paste files as if my microSD is protected however i am able to files but not able to copy/paste as mentioned before.

Games and homebrew and all the files play/work fine on my R4 DS and it seems to be an issue on the pc end. BTW microSD reader i am using is the one that came with the first batch of R4DS.

Do you guys think i should format my card and not use DSOrganize again?

Thanks

2. thegame07

thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 16, 2006
    dso might have corrupted your r4 format it with windows if that does nto work use a programme called swissknife (its free).

3. khan
    OP

khan GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 17, 2003
    Pakistan
    the only prob with formatting it now is that i have files on it which unfortunately i never backed-up on my drive. [​IMG] is there a way of copying files or am i doomed?

-Edit

My R4ds playing those exact files w/o any prob but it's the microSD card which seems to be corrupted.

4. thegame07

thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 16, 2006
    i think oyur doomed same thing happend to me yesterday. i had tp update my ds-xtreme again to get it to work.

5. khan
    OP

khan GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 17, 2003
    Pakistan
    Anyone? I am bit hesitent in formatting for the reasons mentioned above. Any way of copying files?

There must be some techi guy here [​IMG]

6. WiiDSbold

WiiDSbold Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2006
    had the same problem - glad i was running a test first with an old transflah-card that came with my motorola
    it's definitely DSOrganize that f***s things up - its not worth it anyway...

CompuApps SwissKnife Screenshot
    this the one?

7. TrolleyDave

TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

Former Staff
    Jan 1, 2007
    Wales, UK
    That's weird, I use DSO all the time (mostly the calender/day planner feature admittedly but use everything else as well) and have never had a problem. What features did you use or did you just load it and then it corrupted the card?

8. WiiDSbold

WiiDSbold Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2006
    i used an all-in-one installation-package (newest firmware, moonshell and DSO) that someone made for 1.6b - i just played around with it a little bit (that _horrible_ drawing feature for example)... then wanted to copy/ delete something from the pc but gave me some error-message. wasnt able to format it as well...

edit:
    since this topic is about homebrew corrupting memorycards - id like to install ScummVM DS but on ScummVM DS@drunkencoders.com is no mention of it running on the R4DS _but_ that theres the possibility of card-corruption with some combinations...
    so here's my question: anyone of you installed it with success and without any corruption?
    thx

9. pitprop

pitprop Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2006
    Dsorganize screwed up my microSd card twice. i posted this a while ago..

The first time windows would not even let me format the card. It was only fixed when i restarted the PC with the card in the card reader ( windows fixed the corrupted card when it was booting up).
    The second time it just corrupted the DS_menu folder ( so tthe R4 would not work). I was able to extract the save files before re-fomatting the card. I could not just overwrite the ds_menu file as it would not let me ( so had to reformat the card)

DSorganise will not be going near my R4 again.

10. phoood

phoood taking it to a whole new level.

Jul 28, 2006
    United States
    Jewgoslavia
    All right! A DSO Screwed My MicroSD Chip Thread!

Sorfar, it killed both of mines sever times and NOW, they are both completely unrecoverable.

Even went as far as to download a live-cd to check if Linux could read it.

11. Arm73

Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Mar 4, 2006
    Italy
    Switzerland
    I've had the same problem, but unlike you I never managed to fix it.
    I must have downloaded a half a dozen applications(included swissknife) but none of them would read my card.
    When I read your post I was shoked at the simplicity of the solution and tried it right away...but still didn't work(by rebooting).
    Maybe it's because I'm using XP ?
    Are you using a different version of windows or is my SD card screwed beyond any possible recover ?

12. KINGOFNOOBS

KINGOFNOOBS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 28, 2006
    United States
    Works great for me, but then again. I am using M3 Simply. Not R4

13. WiiDSbold

WiiDSbold Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2006
    maybe its fat/blocksize-related - surely not R4-related (as opposed to M3Simply) as they are identical...
    (the card i had the problems with was formated by my mobile - i guess fat16)
    not that it really interests me - at least not as long as DSO is concerned it's another story with stuff like ScummVM DS though (hint, hint [​IMG] - nobody got some info on that?)

14. fischju_original

fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

Banned
    Jul 22, 2006
    United States
    dsorganize has corrupted my GBAMP twice, SC CF twice, and M3 once. Dont use any of the file rename/delete/copy stuff

15. ambitous21

ambitous21 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 3, 2006
    United States
    wow.. no wonder last time my microSD was broken..
    and i thought it was something else..

but yeah i kept on trying because i didnt want to lose the save files of 10 games, i restarted my xp and the pc finally recognizes it.. and i quickly copy the save files over then formatted it

had no idea it was DSO.
    and i did played with the rename, delete file, copy. prob that.