GBAtemp Slut!
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
So, I come back after a couple of hours of basketball with some friends to my computer to well... do whatever I do. Windows has a pop-up saying I need to activate... wtf.

I'm not paying for Vista!
mad.gif
Vista spontaneously asks me to activate on boot and I have the evaluation watermark now... wtf!?!?!?!?

Any one have this problem?

Situation discovered on 3/25/2009

HELP!!!!

Filter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you pirate it? (sounds like you did? Because I got a activation update for Windows XP like around 2 days ago. I have a legit copy so.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
have you installed all the latest updates?
because there are a few you should avoid at all costs

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I had the same with my TinyXP install.
Just Google for "how to remove WGA notification" and there should be something to fix the problem.
Run, reboot, enjoy.

Filter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah there are a lot legit cracks and activators for Vista. Just search some popular torrent sites and read comments to find one that is real and works.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KB940510

is the update you should not install, it appears as a regular Update for Windows Vista (not security)

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WGA can be classified as spyware. What else phones home? What else installs itself on your computer to monitor you? What else tricks you, the user, into thinking that it's a legitimate thing?

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
KB940510

is the update you should not install, it appears as a regular Update for Windows Vista (not security)

I've had that installed since 2/23/2009...

Whatever, I the crack I rewrote for my own custom vista install (took forever because I never did an actual app before) and that fixed me... weird though...

I haven't even made any serious changes any where except for installing office 07 pro+ on monday...

well, it's fixed anyways. weird breaking is weird

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
juggernaut911 said:
Joe88 said:
KB940510

I've had that installed since 2/23/2009...
well I guess thats the one that got you

detects time stop and OEM bios crack

people have said they just reinstalled the OEM crack and the it went away (Ive done it a few times also)
and there are some cracks it cant detect
I just have OEM crack on mine, I actually caught the 30 day limit thing under my computer (was on 4 days left) it never told me to renew, it just did something in the background and was counting down
lucky I caught it in time... just reinstalled the crack and its gone

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
That update is a laugh. YES it does detect those two cracks, YES it does phone home. What it sends I have no idea but I've yet to hear about cops busting users because WGA sent their IPs to Microsoft which called the police, and ultimately NO that update does not remove the exploits, nor does it de-register your system. It only pops up a SINGLE window warning you that they exist and they should be removed.

Btw I AM running on 6 year old hardware and it's still faster.
tongue.gif

...actually only 2 of my harddrives and modem are that old, the mobo and CPU are 3 years old.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
agentgamma said:
I have a question - why use Vista in the first place?
It's faster than XP, assuming you're not using shit hardware from 5 years ago.

even on crap hardware, vista performed better then XP on my machine (dell dimension 4550)

I find the people who flame vista (well pretty much all the people) never even tried it and instead just hear stuff about it pass it along and flame it where they can like,
z0mg you need like 8GB+ of ram just to start it (this is no where even near true, I have used vista ultimate fine with only 512MB),
vista is horrible for games,
no programs or drivers work properly on vista,
it gives constant BSOD's (also not true, way less then XP, almost non-existent),
ect...

and now those people are butthumping windows7 as if its the new messiah of OS's,
I tried it no big deal, I dont really see any changes besides it being buggy as hell and pretty much no driver support

QUOTE(Searinox @ Mar 28 2009, 12:39 PM)
That update is a laugh. YES it does detect those two cracks, YES it does phone home. What it sends I have no idea but I've yet to hear about cops busting users because WGA sent their IPs to Microsoft which called the police, and ultimately NO that update does not remove the exploits, nor does it de-register your system. It only pops up a SINGLE window warning you that they exist and they should be removed.

Btw I AM running on 6 year old hardware and it's still faster.
tongue.gif

...actually only 2 of my harddrives and modem are that old, the mobo and CPU are 3 years old.

it removes it the windows is validated thing under my computer and asks you to get a new key + validate it again with a 30 day time period
so just reinstall the crack... goes away
smile.gif

it doesnt seem to work on SP1 though...

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Vista + SP1 OEM BIOS crack when the patch came out. Detected exploit SL-### on my computer and notified me of it. COMODO firewall reported the tool trying to get online. I let it lol. Nothing happened to my system. It's odd cause according to the M$ documentation the crack does indeed not disable anything. Supposedly they're experimenting with crack detectors to make sure they don't screw up genuine systems before they truly launch a purging tool? Then again the documentation also says nothing about the phone home LOL.

Anyways if anyone IS using an OEM BIOS crack, know that installing new OSs or reconfiguring a couple of boot options - generally sutff that tampers with the boot record - will disable such cracks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr