Hacking All my questions about 4.xx cfw and upgrading.

Yanazake

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
So, I'm eager to test this, but information on the matter is really hard to understand - so I turn towards GBAtemp, which is the community that felt the most noob friendly to me over the years.

The questions are:
  • What is all that DEX, QA and whatever talk? I don't remember seeing this back then. What do they mean and how do they affect CFW?
  • Is there a difference between Rogero's and Rebug CFW 4.xx besides number?
  • Were the bricking issues when updating to one of these 4.xx cfw fixed? [specially on slim consoles]
  • I've been using Rebug 3.55.2 for some time, so I'm wondering if it would be best to use Rebug 4.21 instead of Rogero 4.30.
  • My console iwasn't downgraded, but everyone says that QA and dehashing should be used/done before attempting this upgrade. I know this is related to the PS3 recovery menu too, but I have no idea how, nor I remember ever accessing the recovery menu. Anyone have a noob-friendly guide on how to safely upgrade to 4.xx CFW?

Reactions: tbgtbg

mehrab2603

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, I'm eager to test this, but information on the matter is really hard to understand - so I turn towards GBAtemp, which is the community that felt the most noob friendly to me over the years.

The questions are:
  • What is all that DEX, QA and whatever talk? I don't remember seeing this back then. What do they mean and how do they affect CFW?
  • Is there a difference between Rogero's and Rebug CFW 4.xx besides number?
  • Were the bricking issues when updating to one of these 4.xx cfw fixed? [specially on slim consoles]
  • I've been using Rebug 3.55.2 for some time, so I'm wondering if it would be best to use Rebug 4.21 instead of Rogero 4.30.
  • My console iwasn't downgraded, but everyone says that QA and dehashing should be used/done before attempting this upgrade. I know this is related to the PS3 recovery menu too, but I have no idea how, nor I remember ever accessing the recovery menu. Anyone have a noob-friendly guide on how to safely upgrade to 4.xx CFW?

I'm no expert, so I'll answer the questions as best as I understood them.
1. DEX is debug firmware, the ones installed on debug PS3s. If you see your PS3's model number you'll see it starts with CE. Debug model numbers start with DE. That's why the firmwares for consumer's PS3 like yours are called CEX and for debug PS3's are called DEX. You can convert your CEX PS3 to debug PS3 and install DEX firmwares on it which has some nice features.
QA flagging basically dehashes your PS3. When you update your PS3, something called syscon in your PS3 keeps track of it and doesn't let you install firmware versions lower than the one currently installed. So when you downgrade with a flasher or any other method, the syscon bricks your PS3. QA flagging resets syscon value, so you can downgrade safely.

2. Yes there is. Rebug's firmware has many more features than Rogero's and it is well tested, so has a very slim chance of bricking your PS3.

3. Mostly. As I said above, Rebug's firmware has been tested for a long time and as safe as it'll get. Even Rogero's later firmwares are somewhat safe but there are still the occasional brick reports, most probably because of user errors.

4. REX 4.21 imo.

5. QA flagging doesn't need to be done through recovery menu. You can do it through XMB very easily. Here's a noob friendly guide.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks mehrab, I had a lot of the same questions and your answers helped a lot. Also thanks for asking them, Yanazake.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I swallowed macaroni & cheese for dinner. :P +1