Hacking All I want for Christmas....

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm only talking about using the USB FAT32 HD to use as a source to install games FROM. I already use a 500GB USB drive for Wii U to install games to and another 500GB USB drive for the vWii. I would store all my game installer files on a third USB drive and only plug it in while installing a game.

If you use REDNAND and a 32GB Wii, your only option is a 64GB card and you only have access to store your installer files on < 1/2 of that card.

A person who uses the drive only for storing their installable games would only plug it in while doing the act of installing a new game, so the nagging would not be a continual issue.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

what's on your wish list? :wink:

You really don't need to save backups of every game you install. By the time something dies, you probably won't even want to play it anymore. If you do, it won't be hard to redownload or rerip the install files for the handful of games you actually still care about. Besides, nothing is stopping you from storing those backups on any USB drive you want. Buying an extra USB drive for the sole purpose of saving game installer backups is idiotic. Save those backups with the rest of your stuff, which would be on an NTFS drive. No, your SD won't wear out. It takes hundreds of thousands of writes to wear out. Writing 20 times for the good games, or 200 times if you insist on games you won't even play, won't wear it out.

ddurdle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You really don't need to save backups of every game you install. By the time something dies, you probably won't even want to play it anymore. If you do, it won't be hard to redownload or rerip the install files for the handful of games you actually still care about. Besides, nothing is stopping you from storing those backups on any USB drive you want. Buying an extra USB drive for the sole purpose of saving game installer backups is idiotic. Save those backups with the rest of your stuff, which would be on an NTFS drive. No, your SD won't wear out. It takes hundreds of thousands of writes to wear out. Writing 20 times for the good games, or 200 times if you insist on games you won't even play, won't wear it out.

I use a lot of SD cards and I've worn out many. None are Lexar, so I'm on a Lexar kick lately. SanDisks, Kingstons, Panasonics ... casualty count is high. And I know what you are thinking... fake or knock-offs. All bought from Best Buy. Lexars were bought from WalMart.

I've lost many saves for games I was actively playing on the 3DS when the SD card decided it had enough. Guess you are right about some games like Mario Kart where things are unlocked, you can just grab someone else's save file to unlock everything.

I use SD cards in all kinds of devices, like BananaPi Pro, Raspberry Pis, Cubieboard, etc. I've had a few cards go bad while in use on a 3DS, but those were ones that were previously used elsewhere already, so the 3DS itself wasn't the culprit of the wear-down.

About the comment about NTFS, not a windows user, sorry (not a MAC either). If I keep a local copy of my games on a hard disk, it would be on a FAT32, and it would be optimum to be able to plug that drive into the Wii U to re-install the games. The other backup of the games would be on a cloud service account. Otherwise, I can go ahead and to the work of transferring games to my SD card, installing, swapping out games as needed. Build up my Wii U USB hard drive, then 6 months from now for whatever reason I need to do a SYSNAND format and then that Wii U USB drive needs to be rebuilt. Then I got to redo copying installer files to a SD card, installing, swapping out, etc.

3DS games are smaller, so it never was an issue there, and I still have all the carts for the games, so nothing stopping me from redumping the games (fast enough process). But with some games exceeding 20GB on Wii U, USB hard drive support for installing becomes more critical.

Last edited by ddurdle,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 64GB micro-sd card which i use to install games/run homebrew on, its neither worn out nor too small, and it was only like 10$. It gets a fairly fast transfer/install speed too.

SD cards uses NAND, NAND has a finite no. of times it can be written to, that's a problem.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He was spefically talking about killing sd cards however. (Also we all know all current gen NANDs are rigged to stop working after a certain number of uses)

Which is what I was talking about, you can only write to them so many times, what with people installing games from SD to USB and such.

D

Deleted User

All I want for Christmas is being able to install anything I want to system menu with sig patches and cold boot hax. Oh wait we literally just got this.

Guys the Wii U has been cracked for like a month. Grow up and wait a bit. I have almost every single piece of Wii U and eShop software installed to an external hard drive and several homebrew emulators, plus everything that's come from the vWii side of stuff. What more do you people need.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: xtheman

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, please FAT32 loader support please! I think I'm getting one for Christmas and I have no spare hard drives. Loadiine still won't work with USB?

Irastris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you use REDNAND and a 32GB Wii, your only option is a 64GB card and you only have access to store your installer files on < 1/2 of that card.
I'm guessing you don't realize that that's plenty large enough. Your 64GB SD will typically become 23-24GB after setting up redNAND, and there is literally no Wii U game that big.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
We're of the same opinion then, with regards to intended use of FAT32 support. Handy for installs, would never dream to want to install something to it.

Just why? This is the only goddamn thing that's missing from making the Wii U perfect.
Tricking it into something like
"You're looking for your stupid filesystem formated harddrive, my dear console? Well ... it's right here, just look ..." *points to FAT32USB:\some_folder_name\*

I don't care about having to use SD cards for installation. You install games once and you're done.

But since the Wii U is so epic that it has a whole vWii mode which can launch Wii games and Gamecube games off an USB drive and Wii U's RetroArch does that as well now, all that's missing is FAT32USB support for installed Wii U games as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?