Group: GBAtemp Ghost
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
k I'm buying a fat PS2 soon so I'm seeing if I have what I need to play DVD backups.

I have (or soon have)
PS2 (with the front tray cover off)
TDK DVD+R 16X (or -R, I have both)
Independence Compiler 4.1 (For the CD exploit installer)
COGSWAP.ELF
PS2 Memory Card
Swipe Card (slide tool)
Any PS1 game
original DVD game that is a larger file size than the backup
Action Replay Max
Dell burner

And yes I have all of the DVD backup software.

So I've burnt the CD exploit installer with COGSWAP.ELF.

And this is how I boot up the CD exploit installer?

1. Have AR dongle in a memory card slot
2. Power on your PS2
3. Insert AR disc
4. At the AR menu, select Start Game, With or Without codes
5. Use Flip Top or Swipe/Slide Card to open PS2 tray
6. Swap/Insert your PS2 CD exploit installer
7. Close Flip Top or use Swipe/Slide Card to close PS2 tray then press X
8. Screen will change and exploit installer will now boot

And this is how I use COGSWAP?

Thanks for helping!

P.S. I know I'm a newbie to PS2 but ask about DS and I know!
P.P.S. I posted this on afterdawn but no one posted back
frown.gif
Long live GBAtemp
smile.gif

Jack-Of-Trades

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Just get a modchip seriously, what a waste of time...

Have to agree on that one modchips work 100% if installed correctly

But look for a solderless one the ps2 is a pain to solder to 20+ wires on small contacts

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Jack-Of-Trades said:
wow that's complicated to load a backup...

No offense but since you don't have it yet you may want to get a xbox there a lot easier to mod and have a bigger variety of use

And I'm guessing thats a more complicated form of swap magic?

If i was you i would look into this

http://www.modchipstore.com/ps2-boot-discs...rive-1-281.html

Fliptops are for the slim i belive
Well I'm like a xbox (not 360) hater so don't ask
tongue.gif

Oh and I don't like using my card numbers online (and don't reply "why not???")

EDIT: Can I use this ARmax?

imtony

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jalaneme said:
you can't use a action replay to boot backups, just to let u know before you waste your time, you need to use swap magic discs + slide tool, nothing else.
Don't listen to that lol
But I've been inquiring about the same thing.
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=89943
Theres this new thing out called FreeVast.
Its like memento memory card except free!
All you need is to do is to be able to run homebrew so that you can install it on your memory card.
What I did was I bought Code Breaker 8.1(alternatively, you can use ARMAX also) on ebay for about 10 dollars shipped. I followed this instruction http://www.psx-scene.com/forums/424968-post14.html to get it installed on my Memory card. After I got it on my memory card, I downloaded ESR beta r7a and put it in my USB drive to move it into my memory card. Then, I downloaded memento firmware 1.1 from the memento website here http://www.mementoteam.com/downloads.html and used it to patch my ISO files and then I burned it. After that, I just stick it in the PS2, and with FreeVast, it autoboots into uLE with just the memory card in. From there, I launch my ESR and I can play my games with no problem! I tried MvC2 and Persona 3 undub remix and both worked perfectly! No Swap card, no openning disc tray, none of that! Did all of this with only 10 dollars and a USB drive laying around. If you have any questions, just ask.

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
imtony said:
jalaneme said:
you can't use a action replay to boot backups, just to let u know before you waste your time, you need to use swap magic discs + slide tool, nothing else.
Don't listen to that lol
All you need is to do is to be able to run homebrew so that you can install it on your memory card.
What I did was I bought Code Breaker 8.1(alternatively, you can use ARMAX also) on ebay for about 10 dollars shipped. I followed this instruction http://www.psx-scene.com/forums/424968-post14.html to get it installed on my Memory card. After I got it on my memory card, I downloaded ESR beta r7a and put it in my USB drive to move it into my memory card. Then, I downloaded memento firmware 1.1 from the memento website here http://www.mementoteam.com/downloads.html and used it to patch my ISO files and then I burned it. After that, I just stick it in the PS2, and with FreeVast, it autoboots into uLE with just the memory card in. From there, I launch my ESR and I can play my games with no problem! I tried MvC2 and Persona 3 undub remix and both worked perfectly! No Swap card, no openning disc tray, none of that! Did all of this with only 10 dollars and a USB drive laying around. If you have any questions, just ask.
Thanks but can you just tell me if my edited 1st post will work?

EDIT: Thanks but isn't FreeVast not out yet?

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
imtony said:
jalaneme said:
Don't listen to that lol
k I'm so lost.

1. Don't I just use ESR beta r7b or FREE_MCBOOT_1.4b not both?
2. I don't need a Swap card?
3. Is the link you gave me going to work for AR Max(not CB)?
4. Do I need a PS1 game?
5. Do I put the burnt game in before I boot up or after?

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
imtony said:
Don't listen to that lol

what does using a memory card exploit have to do with me saying not to use a action replay?

playallday said:

no, you can't use any cheat devices to boot backups whatsoever, get swap magic, i won't say it again.

QUOTE(MC DUI @ Jun 17 2008, 12:21 AM)

indeed it is but let him learn the hard way, he will soon tire of swapping discs constantly.

imtony

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jalaneme said:
imtony said:
Don't listen to that lol

what does using a memory card exploit have to do with me saying not to use a action replay?

playallday said:

no, you can't use any cheat devices to boot backups whatsoever, get swap magic, i won't say it again.

QUOTE(MC DUI @ Jun 17 2008, 12:21 AM)

indeed it is but let him learn the hard way, he will soon tire of swapping discs constantly.

Maybe you haven't been kept up to date. He's getting a cheat device to use an exploit to install FreeVast on his memory card. With that, He can use this other new homebrew called ESR to boot disc without the need of swapping at all. He does not need swap magic at all. All he needs to do is patch his games with memento patcher and it'll work without swapping. This is the cheapest and easiest way for him to play backups.

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
imtony said:
1. Free_mcboot_1.4b is so that your ps2 can go directly to uLe without a trigger disc or anything. It installs on your memory card and boots directly off of it.
2. Nope
3. Use this one for AR Max http://psx-scene.com/forums/freevast/58387...ion-replay.html
4. Nope
5. Doesn't matter, As long as you have the disc in when you load ESR then it'll load.
Sorry to bug you but.

1. Where do I put Free_mcboot_1.4b on my MC?
2. Do I just run Free_mcboot_1.4b once?
3. If 2. works then can't I boot it up on any exploit(a way to run .elf files)?
4. Whats "uLe"??? (EDIT: k i know what uLaunchELF is, does Free_mcboot_1.4b have it in it or do I need to get it?)

Thanks!

imtony

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
playallday said:
imtony said:
1. Free_mcboot_1.4b is so that your ps2 can go directly to uLe without a trigger disc or anything. It installs on your memory card and boots directly off of it.
2. Nope
3. Use this one for AR Max http://psx-scene.com/forums/freevast/58387...ion-replay.html
4. Nope
5. Doesn't matter, As long as you have the disc in when you load ESR then it'll load.
Sorry to bug you but.

4. Whats "uLe"??? (EDIT: k i know what uLaunchELF is, does Free_mcboot_1.4b have it in it or do I need to get it?)

Thanks!

Yes, You can boot it up on any exploit. You just have to run Free_mcboot_1.4b once to install in on your memory card. Tell me which way you'll be installing it and i'll continue to help from there. Heres a post from another forum that helped me.

I did it as following:

Install ULE 4.16 as this site says (i just downlaoded the files they use and replaced them with all the new ones)

Code:

http://www.exploitstation.com/articles/arm...ExploitUSB.html

This will make a folder B?DATA-SYSTEM (? = e (pal) or a (ntfs))

then i putted the install elf of Freemcboot on my usb stick, booted it with my trigger disk. Went to my usbpen, opened the elf and installed it and then shutted down the PS2. As it doesn't delete the folder made by the ULE you can boot again with the trigger disk. There you go to misc and open the text editor and open file mcX:/SYS-CONF/FREEMCB.CNF and go to line where it says R1 and change it to boot line to : mc0:/B?DATA-SYSTEM (? = e (pal) or a (ntfs))/BOOT.ELF

so in my case: mc0:/BEDATA-SYSTEM/BOOT.ELF

save it, you can also just make the file on your pc and copy it over there with ULE

From now on you can boot ULE without a cd but by pressing R1

I noticed that ULE doesn't want to be started from BOOT dir ... (even not if you trigger it there or when you just open the elf when your inside the ULE (this works when i just copy the files to a other dir thats not BOOT))

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
imtony said:
playallday said:
imtony said:
2. Nope
4. Nope
Sorry to bug you but.

Thanks!

Yes, You can boot it up on any exploit. You just have to run Free_mcboot_1.4b once to install in on your memory card. Tell me which way you'll be installing it and i'll continue to help from there. Heres a post from another forum that helped me.
Independence Compiler 4.1 (Using uLaunchELF as OS)

And I'll be booting it up this way.

1. Have AR dongle in a memory card slot
2. Power on your PS2
3. Insert AR disc
4. At the AR menu, select Start Game, With or Without codes
5. Use Flip Top or Swipe/Slide Card to open PS2 tray
6. Swap/Insert your PS2 CD exploit installer
7. Close Flip Top or use Swipe/Slide Card to close PS2 tray then press X
8. Screen will change and exploit installer will now boot

YOUR ARE THE BEST!!! YOU ARE LIKE A MOD!!!

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
jalaneme said:
MC DUI said:

Look if going to play a game for 3 sec true, but I like to play my games for over 1 hour at a time.

P.S. I guessing you sell modchips or something and/or your so out of date.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I remember when the Atari 2600 was new and exciting lol
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker