• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

All house republicans except 8, vote against codifying access to birth control

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Actually, the Army missed their recruitment goal by 28,000.
I know, that's the point. It's why republicans want to try to force a baby boom by banning both abortion and contraceptives, there isn't enough desperation to go around for their liking right now. Which means not enough slave labor in privatized prisons, and not enough people willing to risk dying for healthcare and college tuition by joining the military. As far as they're concerned, the "pursuit of happiness" part of the declaration of independence only applies to the ultra rich, and the rest of us peasants should be thankful just to get stomped on.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
An honest person however is more likely to be objective, or at least to try to. Disqualifying pretty much conservatives and right-wingers in general, then.
Both sides of the aisle want to make the country better - they simply have vastly different ideas on what that entails and how to achieve their goals. Dishonesty or lack of objectivity doesn’t have a political alignment. The idea that your political opposition doesn’t agree with you because they’re de facto evil is a textbook example of wearing blinders. The gross majority of mainstream media have a left-wing bias and they’re hardly objective or honest in their coverage of the news. In fact, objectivity necessitates looking at every issue from both sides - it’s the absence of such openness to ideas that fuels the problem in the first place.

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In fact, objectivity necessitates looking at every issue from both sides - it’s the absence of such openness to ideas that fuels the problem in the first place.
It also needs calling BS out, which apparently doesn't happen. Since the right-wingers BSing their way to power, it's grossly unfair to say the media is largely biased in favour of left wing. Twitter has a DEMONSTRABLY OBVIOUS right-wing bias.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It also needs calling BS out, which apparently doesn't happen. Since the right-wingers BSing their way to power, it's grossly unfair to say the media is largely biased in favour of left wing.
Most media outlets that are considered “mainstream” (CNN, MSNBC, WaPo, NYT, The Guardian etc.) demonstrably have a left-wing bias. They mostly skew left.

8B5396B5-1995-4625-AE90-C5119395058D.jpeg
Twitter has a DEMONSTRABLY OBVIOUS right-wing bias.
That’s hilarious. Jack Dorsey himself admits that Twitter as a company employs primarily left-wing employees and has an overall left-wing bias, to such an extent that right-wing employees feel unsafe speaking up for fear of being ostracised. Algorithmic amplification favours right-wing content because those outlets are good at playing the Twitter game - they manage to do so *in spite* of Twitter’s alignment, not because of it. Twitter amplifies anything that gets users to react, therefore Tweets that are exaggerated, bombastic and controversial rise to the top - right-wingers know that, as do some left-wingers who also do well on the platform, although it’s mostly a right-wing thing, hence the result. Twitter favours extreme tweets because extreme tweets get extreme levels of interaction. One of the primary concerns on Twitter is the silencing of conservative voices, not amplifying them.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/20...liberal-employees-conservative-trump-politics

Reactions: gamefan5

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Most media outlets that are considered “mainstream” (CNN, MSNBC, WaPo, NYT, The Guardian etc.) demonstrably have a left-wing bias. They mostly skew left.

They don't skew right you mean, and the right keeps going far right. Calling the BBC or the CNN left wing is patently disingenuous since if the far right keeps moving right...

One of the primary concerns on Twitter is the silencing of conservative voices, not amplifying them.

Not silenced enough, despite what Jack says, or what you say : https://www.theguardian.com/technol...hm-for-rightwing-politicians-and-news-outlets

https://cdn.cms-twdigitalassets.com...hmic-Amplification-of-Politics-on-Twitter.pdf

In fact I'd say not silenced at all, despite your claims. Game or not game, the result is the same.

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And look, the reply to all the pro-birth idiots who said "if you can't abort in a state you can just go somewhere else not an issue blah blah blah incel right-wing cope"

https://freedomfortexas.com/uploads/blog/3b118c262155759454e423f6600e2196709787a8.pdf

So, you can't have an abortion, you can't buy contraception and you can't go somewhere to have an abortion. RepubliKKKans are worse than the Church when it comes to control the behaviour of people. So much for freedom eh?

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

View attachment 319260
I wonder why the most reliable news outlets "skew left." Maybe it's because reality has a leftist bias.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Okay x I'm tired right now. WTF does 'codifying access to birth control' mean?

Going by replies, i take it they want to somehow prevent the free market to provide birth control to whomever needs it, but i can't really make it out.

80% of this board will never need access to birth control. Just being themselves is enough.
You're wrong. Just because you perceive everyone else as being too dumb/ugly/lonely to ever engage in sexual activities doesn't mean you're perception is correct.

Fuck... I bet at least 78% of the mature users are already 'doing it'. But by our comment, I presume you're not among those.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Okay x I'm tired right now. WTF does 'codifying access to birth control' mean?
It means ensuring access to birth control via law. The only reason this is even a concern is because of things certain SCOTUS justices said in the wake of Roe v Wade being overturned. I'd say it's because they're religious, puritanical nutjobs, but the darker truth is that they're just financially motivated, per one of my previous comments in this thread.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They don't skew right you mean, and the right keeps going far right. Calling the BBC or the CNN left wing is patently disingenuous since if the far right keeps moving right...
Argue with every single market analysis ever, not me.
Not silenced enough, despite what Jack says, or what you say : https://www.theguardian.com/technol...hm-for-rightwing-politicians-and-news-outlets

https://cdn.cms-twdigitalassets.com...hmic-Amplification-of-Politics-on-Twitter.pdf

In fact I'd say not silenced at all, despite your claims. Game or not game, the result is the same.
Your rebuttal is already addressed in what you’re replying to.
I wonder why the most reliable news outlets "skew left." Maybe it's because reality has a leftist bias.
Reliable, but selective news coverage is still misinformation - it’s lying by omission.

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reliable, but selective news coverage is still misinformation - it’s lying by omission.

As opposed to lying by, you know, lying?

Argue with every single market analysis ever, not me.

If it's made by your "think" tanks, sure.

Your rebuttal is already addressed in what you’re replying to.

Is addressed and confirmed: despite their claims of censorship right-wingers enjoy far more coverage than others.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As opposed to lying by, you know, lying? If it's made by your "think" tanks, sure.
The graph was made by Ad Fontes, the exact same source of data used for your Twitter analysis.
To reduce subjectivity in our classification of political content, we leverage two independently curated media bias rating datasets from AllSides and Ad Fontes Media, and present results for both. Both datasets assign labels to media sources based on their perceived position on the U.S. media bias landscape.

- Your own source, page 5
You have to decide if it’s reliable and your rebuttal is sound or unreliable and your rebuttal is trash. It can’t be both simultaneously, it’s the same dataset. For the record, AllSides reached a similar conclusion when analysing media outlets, their classification is almost identical. In fact, it’s even more scathing in regards to CNN, NYT and MSNBC, classifying them as having a strong bias to the left. To reiterate, I claimed that most media outlets that are considered mainstream are left-leaning, and both sources support that statement.

833F64A9-CA9D-4245-BBC1-12D08C73EF35.jpeg
Is addressed and confirmed: despite their claims of censorship right-wingers enjoy far more coverage than others.
Algorithmic boosting has a strong preference towards popular tweets - it’s designed to do that. The left needs to learn how to tweet better.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that The Guardian is a rag and presented the results of the study dishonestly. I quote:

We presented a comprehensive audit of algorithmic amplification of political content by the recommender system in Twitter’s home timeline. Across seven countries we studied, we found that mainstream right-wing parties benefit at least as much, and often substantially more, from algorithmic personalization as their left-wing counterparts. In agreement with this, we found that content from U.S. media outlets with a strong right-leaning bias are amplified marginally more than content from left-leaning sources. However, when making comparisons based on the amplification of individual politician’s accounts, rather than parties in aggregate, we found no association between amplification and party membership.

Our analysis of far-left and far-right parties in various countries does not support the hypothesis that algorithmic personalization amplifies extreme ideologies more than mainstream political voices. However, some findings point at the possibility that strong partisan bias in news reporting is associated with higher amplification. We note that strong partisan bias here means a consistent tendency to report news in a way favouring one party or another, and does not imply the promotion of extreme political ideology.
tl;dr Right-wing sources are boosted about as much, and sometimes more than left-wing sources. Party affiliation has no impact on amplification of politicians and extreme content isn’t amplified. Strong bias in the content seems to have a direct result on amplification. In other words, biased content that appeals to users is boosted more, and right-wingers are marginally better at curating their own feeds. Marginally. People listen to whatever reinforces their views the most. This isn’t a scathing indictment, it’s a defense against accusations in regards to deboosting at best (that’s the reason why the study was conducted in the first place, as a defense, and that makes it questionable from the get-go). The results are entirely explainable.

Last edited by Foxi4,

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeaaaaah this just sounds like cope to be brutally honest. There is no obligation -- morally or otherwise -- to report on the latest right wing conspiracy theory bullshit or anything that panders to the right. It's not "lying by omission" to not report misinformation. That's why the sources on the right tend to fall further down into the misinformation rabbit hole on your graph.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeaaaaah this just sounds like cope to be brutally honest. There is no obligation -- morally or otherwise -- to report on the latest right wing conspiracy theory bullshit or anything that panders to the right. It's not "lying by omission" to not report misinformation. That's why the sources on the right tend to fall further down into the misinformation rabbit hole on your graph.
Thankfully I don’t consider InfoWars or WorldTruth.TV to be “news sources” (and I don’t know why the authors apparently do), so there’s that. Attempting to distract from the original argument will always fall flat with me - the thesis was that most media outlets considered “mainstream” skew to the left. This is true by all available metrics. You’re the one who brought reliability of coverage into this, I never argued about it. Who’s coping, exactly?

RetroGen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How are these studies defining their left/right terms? Is it USA or worldwide? If worldwide, then both American parties are far right and there is no significant left-wing presence. Thus, a supposedly "left-leaning" American news outlet, would be, by worldwide standards, right-leaning. Biden, by worldwide standards, is by no means a leftist, and may actually be closer to Reagan. But what is far more important is factual reliability, and that's where most right-wing sources fail.

See here: https://www.politicalcompass.org/uselection2020

Last edited by RetroGen,
Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: What.