AlienWare or Build Computer?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by SavageWaffle, Mar 24, 2008.

Mar 24, 2008
  1. SavageWaffle
    OP

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I'm more of a build it kind of a guy. But, the "supplies" in total is about $1500. I thought of buying a new desktop, since it costs less. My friend recommended me AlienWare products. I didn't like AlienWare products before, i still don't like them though. What i think is that AlienWare is just a bunch of nerds(no offense), get the materials, build it up, and put a freaken alien head. Now thats cleared up, so since i had nothing else to do, i went to alienware.com checked out some desktops(there aren't to many, only 3) and found the Area-51 7500 the cheapest from the Area-51 and ALX CrossfireX. Its about $1400. $100 difference. Which is a lot because i will be buying a huge amount of games. And if i save $100, i can save a bit. And im sure Alienware aren't the best, hell i don't even like them. I guess what im asking is a "ok" gaming computer. Not those $3500 shits. I just need a desktop that can run Battlefield 2, C-S Source, Orange Box, etc.
    My budget is around $Lowest~$1300? I'm not even sure i can get a gaming computer for $1300. So, hit me, give me the best you got.

2. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    Dude, you can get a perfectly decent gaming computer with $1300.
    Heck, you could afford 8800GT in SLI.

Neweggs prices are low, take advantage of it!

3. Zarcon

Former Staff Zarcon .:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.

Canada
    If you already have a monitor, hard drive, and accessories (keyboard, mouse, etc) you can get a slight higher than mid-range computer for around $1000...CAD anyway.
    You just have to shop smart for the parts.
    You can get away with a 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo and overclock it to 3.0GHz+ for instance.

I'm sure the other members here will probably be able to give you a list of parts, I'm a few months behind in hardware and you can probably get even better bang for your buck now.

Oh, I'm running on said $1000 rig which is, in computer age, already dated and it can run all your example games just fine.

But yea, I'm all for building. =P

4. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    Umm... for $1,300 you can make one hell of a computer!
    Give me a minute while I make you a Newegg Wishlist that can max out practically every game out there ( except crysis.. )

5. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
    Thanks, my "other" list of parts kinda failed since the parts sucked, and it ended with a total of $1300. And to Zarcon, my monitor, keyboard, and mouse, im thinking of replacing too. But thats after i buy my system. But my speakers, are fine. Logitech X-530 70 Watts got for $55+Shipping at Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16836121126

Im not planning to play Crysis since it would need MAJOR upgrades to play it on max. And for graphics, i want the best of the best.

6. ZeWarrior

Brazil
  7. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
  8. ZeWarrior

Brazil
    Most reviews said it was good. I usually go for the average, if you don't like it, just take out the sound card. But with 5.1 it's better having it there.

9. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    You may want to get the new 45nm Quadcore. Only $45 more.
    Other than that its great.

Why aren't there any peripherals included?

10. Kizmatti

Newcomer Kizmatti Member

United States
    Definately build it. Alienware is over-rated, and over priced by a huge margin

I just bought an:
    E6750 Intel duel core 2
    4 gig of G skill DDR21000 Memory
    Evega 8800 GTS 512
    Gigabyte mother board
    Rosewill 850 watt power supply
    Zalman 9700 heatsink/fan
    Liteon Sata DVD burner

for about $800.00 shipped all from Newegg

Keep in mind this doesn't include Case, monitor, Hard drives, Mouse, keyboard and Speakers

i do play Crysis and my machine plays it on all high settings at 1400X900 res(19inch monitor) at 30-45 FPS
    It will also copy/ and burn a DVD in about 10 minutes.

11. ZeWarrior

Brazil

He never said he needed any.

12. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
    Thanks everyone. But bad news. My budget has been lowed down to $900. $400 for living room(speakers). Not sure if $400 will make a difference.