Alaska Airlines Moving To iPads For Flight Manuals

SamAsh07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
alaska-air-05-27-2011.jpg
Alaska Air Group's (ALK) namesake airline said it will issue its pilots Apple Inc. (AAPL) iPad tablets in place of paper flight manuals to cut down the weight of the required documents.

The iPads, which will be distributed by mid-June, will weigh 1.5 pounds against the traditional manuals' 25 pounds, the company's Alaska Airlines unit said. The move follows a trial by 100 line pilots, instructor pilots and Air Line Pilots Association representatives who evaluated the plan over the past winter and spring.

"We've been exploring the idea of an electronic flight bag for several years, but never found a device we really liked," Alaska Airlines flight operations Vice President Gary Beck said. "When the iPad hit the market, we took one look at it and said this is the perfect fit."

For Apple, the iPad--with its quirky position somewhere between a giant smartphone and small computer--is further opening the doors to new corporate accounts, a trend that began with the iPhone. While desktop computers running Microsoft Corp.'s (MSFT) software continue to dominate office cubicles, iPads are gaining traction as an alternative to laptop computers for traveling workers.

Medical firms, for instance, have passed out thousands of iPads to their sales staff to spruce up pitches to doctors. Abbott Laboratories (ABT), Medtronic Inc. (MDT) and Boston Scientific Corp. (BSX) are among the drug and medical-device firms making the move, while others say they are testing out the devices.

Alaska Airlines said it is the first major domestic airline to use the iPad to replace paper manuals for pilots. It is also contemplating using the tablets instead of paper navigation charts, which further add to the often 50-pound bags pilots are forced to carry.[/p]

icon11.gif
Source

Everything is gonna be about Apple in 5-6 years. Apple Airlines, Cars, Ships etc etc. -_-

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I saw an Ad during a hockey game that spoke of.... either Toyota or Hyundai where the manual is on the iPad. Though I'm sure it's just an app or something that you can download.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
SamAsh07 said:
*Coffee/Tea drops on the outlets*
*find another outlet*

We could dance around elaborate and improbable scenarios untill we're both blue in the face, but trust me, no plane will crash for having an iPad on board.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know it is not strictly the same but is anybody else thinking of the montage from Fight club where part of it is replacing the safety cards with alternatives?

Not sure why companies as traditionally (and not unjustifiably) tight fisted as airlines might spring for ipads but that is a different debate I guess.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nollog said:
Battery runs out, pilot needs to land, can't find landing gear, tries ipad, kills everyone.

This totally. But I guess they can carry a lot more redundant iPads than full on paper manuals. I'm just surprised any aviation authority is allowing this yet. They aren't even allowed to use lead free solder yet because it hasn't being around long enough to have concrete numbers on it's mechanical properties.

Also +1 for the kindle idea. Just for e-ink displays over LCD/OLED. With how e-ink displays are coming on (colour/23 fps video at the moment) I'd guess you'll have proper tablet/slate/large pda devices using them soon too.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My dad works for the Canadian government and has been overseeing companies switch from paper documentation over to electronic formats via tablet computers in the airline sector, he was a pilot for 30 years after all. There is a massive advantage that you folks seem to be forgetting, and that is book keeping costs. If you as a business could slash 300,000 dollars a year in salary because of book keeping, not to mention eliminate the need for having multiple hard copies which use up a forests worth of trees in paper, you would do it. You should see all the flight safety manuals my dad has, all that documentation could fit in a 24MB PDF file.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In theory perhaps DSGamer64 but I have yet to meet a technical documentation company (much less one that is a mixed venture of government, non governmental, aerospace sector companies and health and safety) that will forgo such a juicy payday as this- see all the nonsense that goes on in ebook lending circles with forced/artificial obsolescence (granted this sort of thing has built in obsolescence).

My bet is on the only people to really lose out money wise are the shipping and printing companies- granted I am out of aerospace these days (not that I waded that far into it) but looking at similar things in other areas of engineering if manuals come in electronic form they usually come with a price (and a phone home).

Re "Battery runs out" I imagine they can stick a lighter socket/powered USB port in the cockpit somewhere not to mention they tend not to let pilots up unless they really know their plane and there will probably be a "must have a hardcopy as backup" rule.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu