Alan Wake could be getting a TV show adaptation

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 12, 2018.

Front-page
    header.jpg

While the Witcher franchise is busy being adapted into a TV show, another series could be headed to the small screen alongside it. Alan Wake, a 2010 video game, might get its own television series soon. Peter Calloway, known for working on Cloak and Dagger and Legion, has been signed on as the showrunner and lead writer, for an Alan Wake TV show. Sam Lake, the writer of Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Max Payne has also been recruited as the executive producer. Nothing is concrete at this point, but Calloway has already been in talks with multiple networks to get the show picked up. It's stated that Sam Lake is highly involved with the project, taking inspiration from other American television like "The Twilight Zone", "Secret Window", "Hitchcock", and more.

Alan Wake originally released in 2010 for the Xbox 360, and was received well by critics and fans. Developer Remedy Entertainment eventually created a standalone DLC for the game two years later called American Nightmare, and a sequel was in the works at some point, though it was canceled and work was moved to Quantum Break.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (15 replies)
  1. pustal

pustal Koalafied member.

Jul 19, 2011
    Portugal
    The Matrix
    Being there no sequel to American Nightmare, at least I'm happy it won't die out. Maybe it'll excited the crowd to play a new game and make them develop it.

2. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    If it's so called inspired by Twilight Zone, I'm already sold on the idea.

pustal likes this.
  3. pustal

pustal Koalafied member.

Jul 19, 2011
    Portugal
    The Matrix
    The first game was heavily inspired on Stephen King's work and Twin Peaks. There is also an internal reference to the Twilight Zone. To add up, as the cherry on top, the soundtrack had pieces from Nick Cave, to Depeche Mode to David Bowie.

Chary likes this.
  4. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    It sounds like a really interesting game, after reading up on it for the news post, and what you've just said. I might have to check it out and go play it now!

kudofan and pustal like this.
  5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Tom BombaDadlo

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I could probably name a dozen other games I'd much rather see a TV show about, to be honest, but it's interesting to see more video games having TV shows put into production. Makes me wonder if any of them will actually be good, with all this interest being thrown around these days.

6. pustal

pustal Koalafied member.

Jul 19, 2011
    Portugal
    The Matrix
    :) It's one of my all times favorites. Tell me what you thought of it afterwards, please.

Chary likes this.
  7. Flirkyn

Flirkyn GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2014
    France
    And here I am, still waitin'g for a second game (not counting AN):cry:

Shadowfied likes this.
  8. Lazyboss

Lazyboss GBAtemp Fan

Sep 26, 2017
    United Arab Emirates
    So are they going to make the "lady of the light" black?
    Oh wait this is not netflix.

9. jinzokami

jinzokami Member

Newcomer
    May 27, 2012
    United States
    More Alan Wake is never a bad thing. I screamed when i saw him in quantum break, which was about the most exciting thing about quantum break.

10. Issac

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    HHHHhhggggggnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!

Yes!

I do really look forward to this. I was floored by Alan Wake, and I soooo wanted the Collectors Edition version... although I never had an Xbox360. I still dream about that CE...

11. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Maniac

May 28, 2015
    Let's hope shitflix or Amazon prime don't get their hands on it.

12. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    Londoner , Living In Louisiana ...
    i really like Alan wake the 1st one ... American Nightmare not so much at all... im quite surprised its getting a TV show .... if it brings a new game to the series that would be a nice bonus...

13. m_babble

m_babble Elder Phantom

Dec 12, 2004
    United States
    Please let a sequel follow. Alan Wake was so dope. Hell, I'd be excited for a Switch port of the original, even.

14. TarkinMX

TarkinMX GBAtemp Regular

Nov 4, 2009
    United States
    For the love of God I hope this happens and that it inspires people to want to see Remedy finish the story they started, whether it's through the TV show or hopefully turning the game into a trilogy. I really want to see him get out of the darkness, put an end to Mr. Scratch and get his wife back. I hope they get someone good to play Barry, honestly wouldn't mind seeing Bob Odenkirk get that role.

"It's not a lake.... It's an ocean...."

15. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Addict

Dec 6, 2014
    Just a month after I dreamt about Alan Wake 2, huh.

You should. It's awesome!

Chary likes this.