AKRPG VS CyclonDS

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by canuckcub, Jul 29, 2008.

Jul 29, 2008

AKRPG VS CyclonDS by canuckcub at 9:48 AM (2,444 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. canuckcub
    OP

Newcomer canuckcub Advanced Member

United States
    I love the layout to the AKRPG but im worried about its lack of music playing features ... does the lmp-ng aplication work on it ?

If not i need to get a GBA flash too, so could that load lmp-ng. .. any sudjestions on a GBA flash

Or just get CyclonDS

sorry about the questions ive been trying to stay away from the DS... hate the stylist idea. but wii has forsaken me and i need something for the bus, now that i stoped driving.... stupid gas

2. Dylan

Member Dylan 100 MILES AND RUNNIN'

Australia
    how can you hate the DS............

3. canuckcub
    OP

United States
    Same reason ppl hate the WII's motion sensitivity..... Ive used PDA's and hated stylists. but ive convinced myself that i will get over my unfounded hatred ...

DS beat the PSP in my heart.... mostly because the psp needs duel analog

so yeah what should i get for slot 1 and slot 2..... im thinking acekard RPG and an ez 3 in 1

4. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    The custom Acekard loaders (AKBBS, AKAIO, Bliss) have a music player (LMP) built in. Then again, pretty much any flashcart can play mp3 and ogg files via Moonshell or LMP. (Virtually all homebrew runs on nearly all flashcarts these days, so any flashcart can play music files.) If you haven't really listened to music on the DS you may be dissapointed with the sound quality though; its audio hardware is pretty crappy.

I'd go with the CycloDS Evolution over the AKRPG myself.

p.s. The DS will not cure you of your hatred of touchscreens. It sure didn't cure me of mine.

5. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    The CycloDS also has better support for the EZ-Flash 3 in 1.

6. Destructobot

United States
    I'm not sure that's true. I know AKAIO supports the 3-in-1 directly. I think it also has automatic SRAM patching, but I'm not certain about that.

7. canuckcub
    OP

United States
    Whats the Cyclo got over the AKRPG

i mean the AKRPG looks better

the cyclo just has a better touch screen scroll, but im sure im going to be useing D pad

8. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    If only somebody would invent some sort of perphieral that would allow a person to bypass the audible speaker output for a personal solution so only you could hear sounds while not disturbing anybody else riding the bus. Aw shucks, I guess we can only dream.

9. golden

Member golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

United States
    akrpg directly supports 3in1 VERY WELL so i highly doubt cyclo is better than rpg in that department. however the cyclo has some cool stuff rpg does't like slo mo but i personally bought rpg over cyclo & i am very happy.

10. Destructobot

United States
    The Evolution has real time saves and in-game guide/FAQ viewing, and better support from its development team. Everything else that it has over the AKRPG is fairly minor.

The AKRPG is kind of overrated if you aren't a developer. The only things it really has over other flashcarts (such as the Acekard 2) are 1GB of internal flash memory and an open source loader. The Evo doesn't have either of those, but it does have both a good interface and a lot of nice features. The AKRPG (as well as the AK2) has a better interface, but not as good a feature set.

11. canuckcub
    OP

United States
    Not a fan of cheat features .... and i know i will use them Save state became my god while playing PC emulations of sonic :-D

Secret levels SUCK

DS has no head phone jack ??? ok i like the DS even less now, if i wasnt acking to play FF3 ... and some other games, id be pissed

12. Destructobot

United States
    I was talking about the DAC, not the speakers. The DS has (IMO) very bad audio quality even with good headphones.

13. canuckcub
    OP

United States
    see i chose AKRPG over AK2 because of the internal memory for laggy games. i dont know how the evo hold up to laggy games

14. Destructobot

United States
    The AK2 deals with memory cards much better than the AKRPG does. The Evo deals with slow memory cards better that any Acekard (not that the AK2 is very bad in this regard, but the Evo is better).

Very few games are actually laggy on any flashcart.

15. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Okay Mr. audiophile. You're right, we should all lament the fact that Nintendo couldn't equip the DS with a $3,000 sound system for playing Super Mario Bros. I know I wouldn't have minded paying $3,150 for my NDS.

16. Destructobot

United States
    Jesus Christ, not this again. I have horrible hearing: My ears ring constantly day and night, I can't make out voices in a crowd, subtle sounds elude me, and people always seem to be mumbling. I am not an audiophile by any means, and I can still tell that the DS has really bad audio hardware.

This is not a subjective matter. The DS's DAC can only handle 10 bit samples at 32khz. CDs, for example, use 16 bit samples at a rate of 44.1khz, and they are not considered to have "good" sound quality by audiophiles. DVD audio can do 24 bit samples at 96khz.

If you can't tell that the DS doesn't have good audio output then the problem lies with you, not with me for being able to tell the difference.

17. canuckcub
    OP

United States
    Fair sound Quality is cheap to achive most 20 dolar CD players can achive it

pluss Nintendo is making money on hardware sales. which is unpresidented.. so they should have better audio quality

i think i decided the CycloDS, its cheaper and im going back to school, and i dont think customizing graphics is where my time should be spent