Hacking AKAIO - Does it allow DS games to see original GBA cart?

shank

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an Acekard 2i running AKAIO 1.6rc2.

I am playing through Pokemon Platinum on my Acekard in slot 1 with an original Pokemon Emerald cart in slot 2. Pokemon Platinum has a feature that if you have an older GBA Pokemon game connected into slot 2, it adds new pokemon in certain areas of the game. I have not encountered any of these pokemon and am wondering if it's not recognizing my Emerald cart. I assume this would be a feature dependent on the firmware, since the DS rom would need to be given access to the GBA slot.

I notice the Wood R4 firmware has an option called "Link with GBA" under the Compatibility setting for an individual rom, which sounds like it provides this option, but needs to enabled. I have been unable to find a similar option in AKAIO menus or the settings ini. So either it's a basic feature that's always on or it is not implemented.

I have found similar threads, but they always involve the use of 3in1 type setups and GBA flashkarts, patching roms, etc. But, I am using an original GBA Pokemon Emerald cart in slot 2, and Acekard AKAIO 1.6rc2 with Pokemon Platinum rom in slot 1.

So, does the Acekard AKAIO firmware allow DS roms to see if there is a game plugged into the GBA slot?

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No the patch isn't needed for original's, but when you use for example an EZ 3-in-1 you need to patch it.
That's because of the difference in hardware...

obito

I can have a title?! :O
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
^ yup, I have a fake copy of leafgreen and a real one. To see if your one is fake, see if the quality of the sticker is kinda cheap, and the whole cart looks a little... off.

Next, if it cuts through the intro of the game, (plays only like half of the intro) then its fake..

Lastly.. if you use a pokemon nds game with the gba one, the gba one sometimes might delete the save data.

shank

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did some research and wow, I never knew fakes were in the wild that looked so similar. Mine is definitely real. It has the correct model number, the sticker is foil, no save game errors, intro plays completely, and most importantly Nintendo is written on the circuit board.

Is there an easy way to test if AKAIO recognizes a GBA game is plugged into slot 2 when running a DS rom? That is, instead of relying on running into a random pokemon encounter, is there a more consistent event to test against?

Akothegreat

Trophies
XP
Country
Finish pokemon platinum until you get national dex, one I haven't tested though is the gengar that shows up with any pokemon gba and gengar doesn't need national dex to be seen

Crunk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make a backup of your save and give yourself the Nat. Dex with Pokesav and see if PalPark works correctly.

shank

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the tips.

and resolved! I got ahold of a .sav with a complete Sinnoh Pokedex, obtained the National Dex in it, saved, inserted Emerald, started Platinum, and the main menu had the option to migrate.

obito

I can have a title?! :O
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
So you hadn't even finished the game yet? IIRC some of the pokemon you can find with emerald inserted could only be found in routes on the battle tower island.. .-.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM