ts.salvador

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello all,

I've been reading the forums really for a while, looking for issues and seeing where I could contribute, although I've not been able to do much so far. I've stumbled into an issue with GBA sav files that is annoying, to say the least, and I was hoping someone could point me into the right direction, as all my searches so far have been fruitless (some people had issues that were more or less similar, but not quite the same).

Equipment:
  • ds-lite
  • ezflash 3+1 [tested Ok with memtestARM
  • acekard2i with AKAIO 1.4.1 (05/04/09) using the loaders from 05/30 due to the softreset issue (I didnt had this issue before with these loaders nor with the current ones)
  • 8GB SanDisk sdhc formated with the Panasonic Formatter
Issue:
Whenever a GBA rom is loaded, it creates the sav file normally, depending on the rom it even lets you save information, but after a shutdown or a reset, all is lost (even though the file is still there). The issue itself varies from game to game, but ultimately it looks like the sav file is not being created properly.

How to reproduce:[*]Load Phantasy Star Collection rom (0770)[*]Start Phantasy Star 1 and select New Game[*]Save the game[*]Verify that it actually saving by going to the save menu again[*]Hit start and select Quit (this takes you back to the game selection screen)[*]Select Phantasy Star 1 again and select Continue (nothing will happen, which is the behavior when you have no saved games)[*]Start a New Game[*]Try to save the game, verify that the save you had before is no longer thereOn Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance it simply hangs. Please note that both the roms I've mentioned worked just fine before, and I have backups of the .sav files from several days

Steps tried to solve the issue:
  • Format the card with the Panasonic Formatter
  • Copy the Akaio firmware again
  • Delete the savlist.bin file, along with the sav files and try to save a game from the beginning
  • replace existing .sav files with backups
Status so far:
Out of ideas. If someone else already had this issue posted here somewhere, I apologize for the inconvenience, but I was unable to find it on my searches, if anyone can point it to me, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
open your 3in1 and hook a volt meter to the battery, if the battery is good it will read 3volts. from what you are describing i think that your battery could be dead. without the battery save data will not be stored after you power off. the battery preserves the sram bank which holds your save data. there are a few guides on how to replace the battery.

this might help:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=167814

if you have a 3in1+ then perhaps the issue is just with the "+" cart and the akaio native gba code. give gba exploader a try. please keep in mind that akaio adds a 16byte header to the gba save file. so any akaio made gba saves will not work with gba exploader unless you manually strip out that data using a hex editor.

-another world

ts.salvador

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Another World said:
open your 3in1 and hook a volt meter to the battery, if the battery is good it will read 3volts. from what you are describing i think that your battery could be dead. without the battery save data will not be stored after you power off. the battery preserves the sram bank which holds your save data. there are a few guides on how to replace the battery.

this might help:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=167814

Interesting, that would explain it. Even though the 3in1 is pretty new (I bought it 2-3 months ago, and not used rumble and stuff like that). I guess it might have came with a worn out batt. Unfortunately I don't have access to a volt meter atm, I will try to get one and will reply here with my findings. Thanks for the guide! Looks very complete.

QUOTEif you have a 3in1+ then perhaps the issue is just with the "+" cart and the akaio native gba code. give gba exploader a try. please keep in mind that akaio adds a 16byte header to the gba save file. so any akaio made gba saves will not work with gba exploader unless you manually strip out that data using a hex editor.

I do not think it is a 3in1+, at least the box doesn't say anything and it worked just fine for 2-3 months. gba exploder doesn't seem to be able to actually find the 3in1, which is odd though.

Nevertheless, thanks man. I will see if I can get it fixed and will answer here, so if someone else has this issue in the future we can just defer them to this thread.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
use the most recent version of gba exploader. it was updated for the "+". make sure you flash something to NOR or the cart won't register in the ds, and some homebrew can't make use of it. gba exploader will tell you at the top what verison you have. also keep in mind that these can sit around for a long time. the battery might be up to a yr old (and unused) by the time you get it. dead batteries on arrival is not something new with the 3in1 kits.

this is the version of gba exploader you want:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=5158

check this guide, it might help you while trying to figure out what 3in1 you have:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=130659

-another world

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
edit: ...or not.
tongue.gif

ts.salvador

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Another World said:
use the most recent version of gba exploader. it was updated for the "+". make sure you flash something to NOR or the cart won't register in the ds, and some homebrew can't make use of it. gba exploader will tell you at the top what verison you have. also keep in mind that these can sit around for a long time. the battery might be up to a yr old (and unused) by the time you get it. dead batteries on arrival is not something new with the 3in1 kits.

this is the version of gba exploader you want:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=5158

check this guide, it might help you while trying to figure out what 3in1 you have:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=130659

-another world

Bingo, indeed it is a 3in1+. Odd thing it was working just fine, in fact, perfectly so far. So I will go with your battery theory as of now. GBA Exploder now detects it, but as far as running stuff, not much success. Will keep doing tests while I try to find a volt meter.

Thanks

ts.salvador

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, turns out it wasn't the battery. I've managed to get a volt meter and it reads 3.2v so it is fine (not really sure if I should be happy about that). So that leaves me clueless on what to do next. It was working just fine and it suddenly started acting odd as I have mentioned before.

As of know, gbaexploader doesn't work, I mean, it detects the card but hangs midway. I will do some more tests, maybe I can find something to make it work.

Nevertheless, if anyone has any other suggestion I'd be more than willing to test it out
wink.gif

Will post any new results I might get

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
no idea at this point. if it is saving while you play and you can load a save while playing then the sram is good. if you shut off the ds, turn it back on and you can't dump the save, then its usually a battery issue.

a full format, followed by 2 gba roms to test with. use the same rom just rename it. load one with akaio and load the other with gba exploader. see what happens.

-another world

ts.salvador

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I am starting to believe that there might be an issue with the 3+1 itself, for when I load the games to NOR, the same behavior applies (freezes, not actually saving, etc). Is there a way for me to be sure though? Before I go out and spend some more money into it?

ts.salvador

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Got a question about 3+1 though, regardless of Acekard and AKAIO, if I flash the rom to the NOR, it should, in theory, behave just like a regular GBA cartrige right? Cause if so, then I guess the card is probably the issue, even though the battery is fine and the 3+1 tester shows no errors.

dewback

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
load the game to the nor memory with gba exploader
to launch use the DS menu as a gba cart
waring with the Phantasy Star one there is an issue with the gba version that will hang when saving at the start of a music loop the issue happens with the original cart

ts.salvador

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Heya Dewback, thanks for the reply.

I had noticed that bug before, but that aint the issue here though.

Anyway decided to try a completely different rom (Final Fantasy 1+2, using as a gba cart) and guess what? When I attempt to save the game it simply says "Save failed", so, considering that the battery appears to be fine (3.2v) I can only guess that the 3+1 is borked :/ The homebrew utility for testing the memory detects no errors though.

@Another World: Tried that and even used a different microsd card, same behavior :/

Any more suggestions or do you believe I should go and buy a new one?

Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You too