AK2 or AKRPG?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by golden, Jul 24, 2008.

?

Acekard 2 or Acekard RPG?

1. AKRPG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. AK2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Jul 24, 2008

AK2 or AKRPG? by golden at 11:51 PM (5,680 Views / 0 Likes) 32 replies

1. golden
    OP

Member golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

United States
    Which one is better overall? Take everything into account. Price, firmware compatibility, shell, all of it. And discuss if you want. I've been curious to see what the userbase thinks of this for some time now.

2. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    Firmware is nearly the same of both...shell...can't tell you for now because my RPG comes to me in a few days, but 95% of the time you use your flashcard it is in your DS...so? It doesn't really matter...the AK 2 shell is meh...

The Pros of the RPG is the 1 GB extra memory + you can just copy problematic games like Castlevania: PoR to it and play it from there if your SD card gives you problems...but the price isn't that nice

AK 2 is pretty cheap and hasn't got the 1 GB memory chip...

So you should decide if the 1 GB extra space + compability to ALL games is worth the extra money (actually I had only problems with 2 games on my AK 2: The world ends with you and Castlevania: PoR...but this may get fixed with the new beta kernel...we will see)

3. ROM Troll

Member ROM Troll GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have both and the AKRPG is the better of the two.

Wireless - tie; found differences depending on the firmware installed.
    Programmability - AKRPG
    OEM support - seems non-existent lately
    Game compatibility - AKRPG
    Durability - AKRPG
    Cost - AK2
    Convenience - AKRPG
    Best deal - AKRPG

4. Swip

Member Swip GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    To be honest the AKRPG isn't worth the $65+ as the ak2 is only about $23. Both of them have the same features and GUI.

1GB of NAND isn't as impressive as the features that the Cyclo has.

5. golden
    OP

United States
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh the first AK2 lover!!!

jk
    jk

I respect your decision but it seems like you didn't take anything else except for price into account.

For me, personally, the main reason why I think RPG if better is not because of the NAND but because of the completely free open source and the great compatibility with the custom firmwares. Like AKAIO has way more bugs on the AK2 than the AKRPG.

6. Raki

Germany
    The AK2 source isn't open, but the acekard team gives it to some clever programmer guys...and there are many bugs in AIO on the AK2 ? o.o never noticed them...

7. Swip

Australia
    I have a RPG too, and i use it more than my ak2 but I'm just saying that in my opinion an extra $40+ for just 1GB of NAND isn't worth it.

The RPG is a great card but it doesn't really compete to the Cyclo which even has a lower price than the RPG.

AKAIO was based on AKBBS which was specifically for the RPG and its still the first version of AKAIO.

8. jabjab

Member jabjab GBAtemp Fan

United States
    dont have a rpg but agree with all swip says [​IMG]

9. Raki

Germany
    *signed*

I have got a RPG and a AK 2...the extra space is quite cool + you can put your problematic games there, but if I would have to buy a RPG I would rather buy a AK 2 + a memory card for the same money than a RPG + no memory card...(I won the RPG and the AK2 in a winning game/review competition, so the price didn't bother me)

If you have enough spare money...get the AK RPG...if not get the AK 2

Btw Swip? Why do you use the AK 2 more often?

10. TeenDev

Member TeenDev GBAtemp's Original Hipster

United States
    Personally I'd go for the AK47...

11. Skydancer

Newcomer Skydancer Member

Germany
    I think the RPG is not worth the Price. 1GB Memory for "problematic" Games. For this reason it´s to expensive.

I have an AK2 (23$) & A-Data 4GB Class 6 (23$)

12. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The next major version of the firmware is supposed to fix most of the problematic games for the AK2, including Castlevania. The beta version apparently runs Castlevania without lag on nearly all microSD cards.

-Bri

13. Sweater Fish Del

Member Sweater Fish Del GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The Cyclo was the first slot-1 card I bought and I liked it a lot. Nice card. Better build quality than the RPG, too. However, I bought an RPG when it came out and sold my Evolution. So apparently the RPG does compete with the Cyclo.

Like golden said, for me the open source is a huge advantage. I'm running a custom firmware on my RPG--it's nothing worth releasing publicly, just some changes in the menus to make the GUI more intuitive in my opinion. But I can do that on the RPG, or even make more significant changes if I really feel like it (I'd like to look into adding a third FAT device in slot-2 into the RPG menu). With the CycloDS, I had to just post my suggestion to the Team Cyclops forum and cross my fingers hoping they gave a shit about my opinion. Team Cyclops may have been the best when it came to adding those suggested features, but nothing beats being able to just do it yourself.

Maybe not everyone cares about that, but some do. And for them, the RPG is the best card on the market.

...word is bondage...

14. golden
    OP

United States
    Agreed.

15. logical thinker

Member logical thinker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    I agree (but I don't have an AK2). The AKRPG doesn't has (or have?) updates, because it doesn't "need". The latest AK2 updates only improve game compatibility, while the AKRPG is already compatible with new games (with very rare exceptions).

16. golden
    OP

United States
    Hmmmm, looks like more people prefer the RPG. Keep the votes coming guys. As of right now, I am quite annoyed that the AKRPG doesn't support Band Bros' save file because it's too large but the AK2 does. That's blasphemy on the AK team's part. They support one of their carts but not the other.

17. Swip

Australia
    Thats probably because they selling WAY more ak2s then akrpgs
    The team cares about updating the ak2 more than the akrpg because the ak2 is getting them more profits compared to the rpg.

18. golden
    OP

United States
    That's really low of them and quite terrible if they just abandon one of their carts just because it isn't the top seller. That is the exact sign of a horrible support team. Money hungry bastards...

19. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    Actually, They haven't abandoned either the AKRPG or the AK+ but they have taken the backburner to the AK2 (their latest and most popular flashcart). The Acekard team is pretty small, so maintaining three flashcarts can't always happen so they work on there most popular first and later on work on their lesser cards. I know for a fact that they are working on porting the DQ5 fix to the AK+. They are also merging Bliss' code into the official code [​IMG] i hate key combos.

20. golden
    OP

United States
    IDK how many people actually own the AK+ but the AKRPG seems pretty neglected. Why don't they try to work on its saving routine fixes? Band Bros works one the AK2 without needing to patch but needs to be patched on the RPG. Patching on a slot 1? Acekard team, are you trying to make me feel like I bought a DSX?

As for you guys Normmatt and Smiths, I can't thank you guys enough for your work on these firmwares. Great job once again. I had a question though, what is the possibility that you guys can have the slow mo code working perfectly on the RPG to be able to release soon in a later version of the AKAIO?