OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
I read a few posts over at the AK forum dating to 6/10/08 where people were still complaining about the bad batch of cards coming out of most sites specifically including DX. Can anyone comment on what is going on, what changes have been made, what fixes are planned or if this problem isn't as wide spread as the forums make it seem.

I just recommended the card based on some conversations to a few family members under 14yrs old. It seems like the perfect card for them at the right cost, but I'm a bit concerned about the faulty batch.

I've read that some cards die after 1 day and others after 3 weeks. Seems like soft reset has caused some cards to go into an infinite "now loading" loop, and other cards freeze on the Nintendo logo screen.

Any comments that are more than speculation would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,
-another world

FreshSoul

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just ordered my acekard 2 from dx and had it for about a week. It works great. Honestly, I think people just misuse their card.

If you think that soft reset messes it up.. just don't soft reset. Is it really that bad to restart the ds that only takes a few seconds?

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I ordered an AK2 from DealExtreme on May 9th, and the one I got was from the bad batch. I returned it and got a replacement (recieved it early this month) and it works fine.

If you order from somewhere that doesn't move that many AK2s they may still have some from that batch, but a place like DX that probably sells a hundred a day or more should only have carts from later batches by now. On the other hand, if you order the cart from a shop in your country and get a bad one you can probably recieve it, send it back and get a replacement in less time than it will take to get the cart from DX in the first place.

Edit: The soft reset endless loop happens because the AK2 has been set by the user to automatically load that game when it starts up. This is purely a software issue, it has nothing to do with the bad batch.

gbaJet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What is wrong in the bad batch and what does the new batch fix exactly?
Any common thing that causes it to go bad? How many have been
going bad? Anyone have any useful links that get to the details of exactly what is
going on lately with the bad batch?

"This issue caused by some bad connection of ak2, which means the ak2 is broken and need repair. "
However, why does it work for a while then stop? Any way to tell if you have a bad one or
when it will break? Where is the problem exactly?

Looks like the problem may be when altering the skins/cheats. Is this the case?

Finally-
here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=87021 and here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=86879
Factory problem; isolated batches; The OS and UI boot up fine but then the microSD doesn't load.

Not safe to get a AK2 now?

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I have to say when I first read that message "bad connection" I was quite surprised they didn't provide a guide with how to fix it, as I'm all too used to seeing guides on how to fix broken fuses, unbrick flashcips, and whatnot. If it's not a bad chip or something burned out and just a BAD CONNECTION, can't it just be bridged with metal? Why isn't there a guide?

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the main problem was when someone tried to load a game, the bit with the screen "proccessing do not power off" and it wouldn't just load. there have been a report of 1 person whose AK2 busted his DS and blew a fuse in it. But rest assured, its pretty easy to say that if you buy from DX, its safe.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
The DS busting a fuse in a flashcart?! Okay that's a new one. Last I saw that on a DS they could take out the fuse and replace it with wire. Why aren't we told what fuse blows and how to locate it?

juicemousezero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I must've dodged a bullet on this...
ohmy.gif
I got mine a couple months ago but thankfully I haven't had a problem...

mhkwong

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bri said:
Do you Brits really call rackets bats? Silly Brits.

-Bri

no, us brits do call stuff bats, but only for baseball bats and cricket bats. for other sports like tennis, badminton... we call it rackets.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OK its a Racket not a bat, but me calling it a bat still isn't as stupid as someone calling a game Football, were 99% of the time you're carrying the ball.
Silly Americans.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'll have to concede there. They should call it "carryball."

And what's up with "soccer?" Where did that come from?

My how we've derailed this thread!

-Bri

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Musta dodged a bullet myself. Looking back at threads I see that I made my order at the peak of AK2 complaints. So far no problems. It's been almost a month.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bri said:
I'll have to concede there. They should call it "carryball."

And what's up with "soccer?" Where did that come from?

My how we've derailed this thread!

-Bri

Ha Ha
Info on Soccer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_(soccer)_names

And now back to the topic...

I'll be getting my Acekard2 sometime next week, I'll let you know if I have any problems with it.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I spoke too soon. Guess what guys. My AK2 now says "FAT Error" on every boot. Tried format tried another microSD not working. If there is no tutorial, I will be returning my AK2 to DX now.

I am so goddamn pissed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse