Hacking AK2.1 from DX (Arrived 10/27/08)

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
you are entitled to your opinion but i have to disagree. i have 3 ak2.1s right now and none of them have a build quality i would spend time complaining about. they are sturdy, they will last because i am an adult and i don't abuse my toys. none of mine have ever had a problem going in or coming out. every slot2 i own is really stiff. my m3 lite has never loosened up and i don't consider that a bad thing or bad build quality. these things are being manufactured for $2-3 each. you can't expect them to be as smoothly shaved as a fresh nintendo ds cart. the loud click of the holding arm is indicative of the 2.1 black pcb redesign. more than 1 of my slot1 kits has done that, and not just my black pcb ak2.1. to clarify the black pcb looks black and you can not mistake it for a deep or darker green.

people seem to like to complain a lot on DX about the ak2. they make it seem as though holding the ak2 will make it crumble in your hands, and that is very far from the truth. a design with a screw would have been nice for when you really need to take a photo of the pcb or switch shells. but other than that the clips are fine. once in awhile a kit arrives with a bent clip but they can be pushed back into place with no lasting problems.

norm has told me on more than one occasion that he still has his original ak2. this coming from the guy who runs beta builds of firmware on it daily. if his has lasted then every person who simply games should not have an issue. that goes double for the redesigned 2.1 black pcb.

skinning support is nice, you can move around buttons and such. give dan taylor's app a try.

i guess some people are designed for the cyclods and others for the ak2.

-another world

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Another World said:
i have 3 ak2.1s right now and none of them have a build quality i would spend time complaining about. they are sturdy, they will last because i am an adult and i don't abuse my toys.

I have no concerns about long-term build quality. But I do have reasonable expecations about basics like the thing fitting in acceptably first time, every time.

Let me just clarify this is my third cart (recently got the TTDS and AceKard to add to my CycloDS). I can see that each of them have strengths and weaknesses re: interface, UI, skinning, etc. But this really isn't about those things. What shocked me was the basics, like the cart fitting in properly without undue force (and ejecting properly).

As stated, my cartridge had to be forced in and was so tight I had to pry it out first time I tried to remove it from its slot. That is unacceptable to me. I wouldn't even comment about this unless I was shocked about it. Maybe I just got unlucky but I've read about at least one other person having the same issue.

Another World said:
none of mine have ever had a problem going in or coming out. every slot2 i own is really stiff. my m3 lite has never loosened up and i don't consider that a bad thing or bad build quality. these things are being manufactured for $2-3 each. you can't expect them to be as smoothly shaved as a fresh nintendo ds cart.

Tight I have no problem with, and have the 3in1, for example, which is a tight fit in itself. Tight and virtually unusable are two very different things, though. Mine had to pried out by putting my fingernail in the little gap that separates the top cover from the sides and pushing it out. I was quite sure I had broken something. Luckily I didn't.

I'm happy to say it fits better now, and actually comes out properly. Though still far tighter than any other cart I have tried.

Another World said:
the loud click of the holding arm is indicative of the 2.1 black pcb redesign. more than 1 of my slot1 kits has done that, and not just my black pcb ak2.1. to clarify the black pcb looks black and you can not mistake it for a deep or darker green.

What 'holding arm' are you talking about here? Not quite sure I follow.

It's a very dark green just under the contacts, when viewed in good light (and when you look at the contacts with the microSD card positioned at the top right). Above the contacts I see black paint. I haven't opened up the cartridge. Anyway, whatever it is, I got it today, ordered it about a week ago. Says version 2.1 on the reflective sticker.

QUOTE(Another World @ Nov 10 2008, 06:49 PM)
people seem to like to complain a lot on DX about the ak2. they make it seem as though holding the ak2 will make it crumble in your hands, and that is very far from the truth.

I wouldn't go that far but I can definitely understand their concerns. As I took it out of the box, I thought people were nuts for talking about the build quality. Sure I saw those plastic clips on the side, but it seemed solid enough to me. What I can say is after the fist time it was put in (forcibly) it changed. The cart easily creaked when holding it with even light force and in general I could take one or two of the side clips off quite easily. I didn't pull the cart apart though.

I can't speak for anyone's else's experiences, those were mine. But reading DealExtreme, I quote:

Posted by jagjr78 on 11/2/2008:
"When you hold it, it feels like it would split open as the case is only clipped together.
Also the edges weren't even smoothed out. I had to use a knife and cut off the edge inorder for it to fit into my ds!! Can't believe this."

Posted by Jerkface on 8/8/2008:
Cons: Build quality could use some work. Seems sort of flimsy. Fits a little tight the first few times in...

It's clear I'm not the only one with this problem, though I'd guess most weren't manufactured as badly as mine

The TTDS sells for less yet gave me no problems whatsoever. I reported on this yesterday, after having it for a few days.

Like I say I am impressed with the skins (so far), but initial impressions were horrifying, to put it mildly. I expected the thing to fit in properly, at the very least.

I am totally taken aback by the amount of skins on offer on AceKard's website and that aspect DID positively surprise me. Default skin also very nice and usable. Time will tell how this card fares tho. I really hoped for the best but in my case, after opening the packet at least, I was initially disappointed. Hopefully things go smoother from here on out with the AceKard. I don't think anyone would be complaining if they came out with a standard shell design like everyone else (without those plstic clips).

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
foob said:
As stated, my cartridge had to be forced in and was so tight I had to pry it out first time I tried to remove it from its slot. That is unacceptable to me. I wouldn't even comment about this unless I was shocked about it. Maybe I just got unlucky but I've read about at least one other person having the same issue.

you should return it for a replacement. i have 4 acekard kits a none of them do that.

QUOTE said:
What 'holding arm' are you talking about here? Not quite sure I follow.

It's a very dark green just under the contacts, when viewed in good light (and when you look at the contacts with the microSD card positioned at the top right). Above the contacts I see black paint. I haven't opened up the cartridge. Anyway, whatever it is, I got it today, ordered it about a week ago. Says version 2.1 on the reflective sticker.

there is a locking arm that holds the kit when its pushed in by the spring. some kits hit it different and make it click LOUDER, but its nothing to worry about.

if your pcb isn't clearly black in color you don't have the new 2.1 you have the older one. the black you see above the contacts might be discoloration as with the first 2.1 i received which was a green (modded) pcb. the green 2.0 were fixed and then stickered 2.1. after that the box was redesigned and the black (cheaper, better power consumption, custom controller chip) pcb was released. this also has the 2.1 sticker. if you are unhappy with it send it back and ask for a replacement.

you should contact the people who complain and see if they are talking about the black pcb 2.1, the green or the original ak2. they all have different build qualities (oddly enough). my 2 and 2.1 green fit smoother than the black with better spring response. but the black is error free according to what team acekard has to say about it. again you can't expect perfection on something that (i know for a fact) cost $3 to make. when DX released the 2.1 they threw it up in the old 2.0 spot so the original comments are usually about the 2.0. when the 2.0 hit the scene it came in the tails of the cyclo, r4, etc. all of which have a sturdier build quality. i think people were just taken back by it and didn't give it a fair chance.

Like I say I am impressed with the skins (so far), but initial impressions were horrifying, to put it mildly. I expected the thing to fit in properly, at the very least.

I am totally taken aback by the amount of skins on offer on AceKard's website and that aspect DID positively surprise me. Default skin also very nice and usable. Time will tell how this card fares tho. I really hoped for the best but in my case, after opening the packet at least, I was initially disappointed. Hopefully things go smoother from here on out with the AceKard. I don't think anyone would be complaining if they came out with a standard shell design like everyone else (without those plstic clips).

the idea behind acekard is to make a kit that functions the way it should at the cheapest price and offer the best customer support. they do all of those things. when you have a problem you can email them ([email protected]) and they try to make it right. they have provided me with information on the kits, the make up, the build, game fixes (by setting save type in akaio), information and where to get more information, etc. the kits play every homebrew i have put on them and 99% of dumped roms. there are a few problem roms which can be fixed manually by setting the save type, and/or turning on/off patches. patching happens just before the game launches but after its loaded into ram. if the game requires the part of ram that holds the patch the game will fail. this is one aspect where some other companies have found ways to implement fixes. acekard leaves the firmware up to the opensource community and only updates the official loaders as need be. if you want to provide input and ask questions stop by #acekard on the gbatemp irc server. norm, smiths and gelu all idle.

i look at it like this.. you paid for a kit to do gaming on the go. you bought it for the change in your pocket and out of the box it does what it says it will. the few quarks can be over looked because it wasn't a 60$ kit. i expect my RPG not to fail because of the price, and i felt the same way about my r4. when the ak2 has a small problem with 1 game i get over it and move onto the other 2800+ games that have been dumped. i'm happy to have more than 1 flash kit so i don't have to rely solely on my acekards. but i can tell you that since i received my 2.1 review sample it has been in my ds constantly. i recently loaded up a msd full of 100 dsdoom iwads and put it on my ak2. before that i had it loaded full of videos and mp3s, etc. so far i haven't had a single problem.

i hope you come to enjoy it as much as i have.

cheers,
-another world

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sounds almost like a fake or really old stock (chip sticking out under the sticker) one if it fits that tight, even the old one I had (with the chip sticking out) didn't jam up the slot. My M3Real on the other hand, that one I had to pry out, it damaged the contact pins in the DS by bending a couple of them so other cards stopped working until I fixed it - and I paid nearly 4x the price for it. Nope, I'm pretty happy with AK2.

denyfate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
actually i agree with him about the quality
i don't know if you guys ever built gundam models when u were a kid.. but pretty much you know when you break the pieces out, sometimes the edges have left over plastic from you not breaking it perfectly off?

pretty much my acekard was like that... when I first got it it didnt fit, and i was afraid the sticking out plastic would scratch up my ds
so i took a knife and i filed it down.. now it goes in great =)

i don't know if its because of the clip.. but it sure do feel like its going to break into 2 pieces soon...
but like most people say... its staying in my ds anyways so im not going to worry too much =)

i must say tho my experience with acekard2 is awesome.. love the UI

the last card i have was a supercard minisd slot-2... I had to use a passme and the supercard was an eyesore..
so obviously any slot1 card would be better for me =D

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
"you should return it for a replacement. i have 4 acekard kits a none of them do that."
It's probably more cost/hassle sending it back to DealExtreme, but I've considered it.

"there is a locking arm that holds the kit when its pushed in by the spring. some kits hit it different and make it click LOUDER, but its nothing to worry about. "
The metal thing that slides against the cartridge as you look into the DS? I think that's it. Well I noticed that and was worried for it as it slid past the plastic clips on the cartridge.

"if your pcb isn't clearly black in color you don't have the new 2.1 you have the older one."
Basically, mine looks like this:
sku_11811_4.jpg

The 'green/grey' colour is under the contacts.

"the black you see above the contacts might be discoloration as with the first 2.1 i received which was a green (modded) pcb."
No, it's not discolouration, it looks like jet black paint / lacquer (shiny, applied accurately). It can be seen in that pic. Above the contacts.

"the green 2.0 were fixed and then stickered 2.1. after that the box was redesigned and the black (cheaper, better power consumption, custom controller chip) pcb was released. this also has the 2.1 sticker. if you are unhappy with it send it back and ask for a replacement."
I consider myself an average user. The fact that that we have to go through this maze (and the fact that the older ones are still selling) is not ideal, but I appreciate your advice. Similar issues have come up with other carts, too (like CycloDS). So I guess it comes with the territory.

"you should contact the people who complain and see if they are talking about the black pcb 2.1, the green or the original ak2. they all have different build qualities (oddly enough). "
To be honest, I don't care about it that much. I was just sharing my experiences with it in the hopes that someone might benefit from it.

"my 2 and 2.1 green fit smoother than the black with better spring response. but the black is error free according to what team acekard has to say about it. again you can't expect perfection on something that (i know for a fact) cost $3 to make. "
It's unreasonable to expect perfection. It's not unreasonable to expect a fitting shell. I have no doubt yours work fine. As a customer, it's none of my concern how much it costs to make. I buy it, I expect it to fit. Perfection has never been one of my demands when buying the AceKard.

2.1 they threw it up in the old 2.0 spot so the original comments are usually about the 2.0. when the 2.0 hit the scene it came in the tails of the cyclo, r4, etc. all of which have a sturdier build quality. i think people were just taken back by it and didn't give it a fair chance."
One of the 'not fitting' comments was from November 2 (less than 2 weeks ago). Whatever vesion mine is, it disappointed me. I don't think I have to compare it to others to know that something should slide in and eject successfully as a bare miniumum.

"the idea behind acekard is to make a kit that functions the way it should at the cheapest price and offer the best customer support. they do all of those things. "
Actually it's not the cheapest, at least not at DealExtreme:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15613

Based on my experiences so far, I can recommend that product without reservation, but not the AceKard. Maybe if I'm feeling adventurous I will buy a second AceKard to see if I get another dud, but that's only if I'm feeling particularly adventurous.

"when you have a problem you can email them ([email protected]) and they try to make it right. they have provided me with information on the kits, the make up, the build, game fixes (by setting save type in akaio), information and where to get more information, etc. the kits play every homebrew i have put on them and 99% of dumped roms. there are a few problem roms which can be fixed manually by setting the save type, and/or turning on/off patches. patching happens just before the game launches but after its loaded into ram. if the game requires the part of ram that holds the patch the game will fail. this is one aspect where some other companies have found ways to implement fixes. acekard leaves the firmware up to the opensource community and only updates the official loaders as need be. if you want to provide input and ask questions stop by #acekard on the gbatemp irc server. norm, smiths and gelu all idle."
Great info, thanks. Haven't tested their support or anything else, and I am really not concerned with a few games not working, to be honest. The carts these days are nearly all close to perfect as far as compatibility goes, at least in my experience.

"i look at it like this.. you paid for a kit to do gaming on the go. you bought it for the change in your pocket and out of the box it does what it says it will. the few quarks can be over looked because it wasn't a 60$ kit."
I've gotta disagree here because I view fitting properly as not a quirk, but a most basic requirement not being met. That's all my issue is with it so far... the fit and the shell.

"i'm happy to have more than 1 flash kit so i don't have to rely solely on my acekards. but i can tell you that since i received my 2.1 review sample it has been in my ds constantly. "
Review sample. No doubt things are checked. Retail samples, perhaps not... and perhaps it's just a luck of the draw thing and I got burned with mine.

"i recently loaded up a msd full of 100 dsdoom iwads and put it on my ak2. before that i had it loaded full of videos and mp3s, etc. so far i haven't had a single problem."
I don't doubt that. Software issues I have yet to see, even though I have used it only very little since I got it.

"i hope you come to enjoy it as much as i have."

Me too, and believe me I want to love it. After seeing the (innovative, nice) GUI and skins, and the speed of the menu as I scrolled down, it made me feel somewhat sane about the bad experience with the plastic shell, but to be honest I'm still wary of putting the thing in; the fit on my cart is still a bit too tight for my liking but at least it's ejecting now. As I say, I *may* get another just for kicks, and to see if I get shell problems again... but right now I'm tempted to sit tight and wait things out (and save some money, I guess).

Thanks for your comments.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
foob said:
if you are unhappy with it send it back and ask for a replacement."
The fact that that we have to go through this maze.... is not idealA maze? Really? A maze?

QUOTEhttp://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15613
Based on my experiences so far, I can recommend that product without reservation, but not the AceKard.
So you would recommend a cart that is known to have malicious fakes but not a cart which might fit a little tight at first?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not to mention that large number of complaints on the DSTT forum about the latest batch of bad DSTT's.

So far, despite complaints about the AK2's build quality, I haven't seen many posts about an AK2 actually having any serious problems because of the build. But I've sure seen a lot of posts recently about bad DSTT's.

-Bri

Mikef

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just recieved a AK2.1 (black pcb) yesterday and wasn't expecting much hardware wise after seeing all the bellyaching about the case and clips.
This is my 4th card, already have 2 TTDS (older ver) and 1 Edge card for comparison.

My AK2 is not really any worse than the other cards hardware.
In fact it has a sticker that's on perfectly centered, the 2 TTDS looked like a 3 year old put them on, and the edge was off center.
The MicroSD clicks in good and the card fits my 2 NDSs just fine, only slightly more catchy because of the clips hitting the DS's spring eject arm.
If the case gets loose over time then I'll just super-glue it.

I'm happy with it so far.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
@food: i understand that you are not happy with your purchase and i completely understand. you do indeed have the new redesigned black pcb by the looks of it and based on your description. what is odd is that none of the black pcb kits i have used or seen in person have any grey around the contacts. my point about the cost was to mean that you can not expect every kit to be perfect when they only cost a few dollars to make. there is very little quality control with most of these kits. acekard counters that by having great customer service for the product after it ships, including a 1 year warranty. they will replace most any kit if you write them a maturely structured e-mail and state your problem. if DX asks for you to ship the item back it would probably cost you more than the kit is worth, you are correct about that. the acekard 2.1 is such a great kit and norm has done great things on the beta of akaio 1.3. you should take the extra steps and contact DX with your problem and ask for a replacement. if they ask you to ship it back, simply don't send it. also you should contact team acekard and state the issue and what DX had to say. you never know they might make it right and do so quickly.

when it comes to this class of cheaper flash kits the ak2 is at the top of the pile with no doubts in my mind. i still hope you can eventually see it the way i do.

off topic side note.. my first gba 128mb kit cost me $145 with shipping. back then it was scary to buy a kit because if it failed no one backed them up, it was hard to get replacements, the costs were so high, etc. it’s almost worth it to purchase a few cheap kits (dstt, itouch, ak2) and test them all for the $50 or so it might cost. you can always try to resell them on gba temp in the trading sub forum.

@djoen: thanks for the images, its nice to see them all side by side in the same thread.

-another world

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
According to most reports, DX is very good about paying for return shipping if there's a problem with your cart or they didn't send you what they said they would.

-Bri

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
OFF Topic:

Yeah those old GBA flashcards costed a fortune.

And those old GB Xchanger backup devices even more.

I remmeber buying my first backup units

"Super Smart Card" (China Coach Limmited)
f_smarcardGBm_81036e0.jpg

and
"Multi Game Doctor 2" (Bung)
f_mgd2m_d62ec94.jpg

Damned those where expensive things, could buy LOTSA DS flashcards with that money

I always think back to those devices when ppl complain about price and support, back then, there was no support,
unless you lived in Hong-Kong or had a good retailer in your country.

Shipping back on your own cost was mostly the only option.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Mikef said:
QUOTE said:
off topic side note.. my first gba 128mb kit cost me $145 with shipping

A visoly turbo 128? That was my 1st flash cards. Still have 2 of them.

mine was a flash2advance, which had so many software issues it sat in a box for over 4 years. its only recently i got it all up and working and use it daily. funny part is -- its over 8 yrs old now. =)

-another world

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
NOTE: Bung=Visoly (as far as i know)

first gba (i still own all of them) was a bung/visoly 64mb one and then i got the bung/visoly 128 FA, then the bung/visoly 256 FA and then i got a 512 F2A (Flash2Advance)

f_gba64mthumbm_5187190.gif
f_gba128mthumm_4b99c2f.gif
f_gba256mthumm_eca7627.gif
f_f2aultracarm_98b56cd.jpg

I also still have the GB Bridge: (Could use a bung/visoly FA in it to play multi GB/GBC games on your GBA)

f_gbbridge1thm_83521bd.gif

Anyway on topic:

DX is always very good for me, everything i order there come sin fast and never had problems. also support was always good if a thing was broken.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
gratefulbuddy said:
So you would recommend a cart that is known to have malicious fakes but not a cart which might fit a little tight at first?

As quoted by DealExtreme:
"- Genuine NDSTT.com (DSTT official site) product guaranteed: all shipments of this product are guaranteed to be the genuine card as posted on the official DSTT website."

A 'little tight' is not what I experienced. If you read what I wrote, the first time I put the AceKard in it was so tight I couldn't even eject the cart. I would indeed prefer a sane shell and genuine cart to this (all at a lower price), which is exactly what's offered. What would I recommend to new users on a budget? The TopToy, without hesitation. Based on my experiences. Even now it's too tight and I shared my thoughts because I was shocked at the build quality (but pleasantly suprised about the rest). Nothing more, nothing less.

Please don't read into things any more than that.

Another World,
Thanks for your comments. Yes, things were riskier back then, and Flash memory far pricier, but this is 2008
smile.gif
If I am coming across as a whinger, it wasn't my intent. I just was genuinely shocked it was so tight at first, and that upon initial slide-in, things were not as expected. Everything else the AceKard seems superior. I generally avoid returns as much as possible and this is not worth it to me. But as you can imagine I'm looking forward to a time when AceKard replaces their shells. I think they will be unstoppable then and quite possibly the unquestionable leaders as far as bang-for-buck goes.

DjoeN,
Thank you for those AceKard PCB pics. I've definitely received the new one, 2.1, black PCB.
Cheers on the oldschool cart pics too.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
foob said:
A 'little tight' is not what I experienced. If you read what I wrote, the first time I put the AceKard in it was so tight I couldn't even eject the cart. I would indeed prefer a sane shell and genuine cart to this (all at a lower price), which is exactly what's offered. What would I recommend to new users on a budget? The TopToy, without hesitation. Based on my experiences. Even now it's too tight and I shared my thoughts because I was shocked at the build quality (but pleasantly suprised about the rest). Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't doubt that what your describing is what you experienced, but keep in mind that there have been very few (if any) other reports of new Acekard 2's being as tight as you've described. So the evidence suggests that what your describing is not the norm. For example, mine fit in pretty much like a regular game cartridge. Stores like dealextreme will pay for return shipping if you have problems with a cart you bought from them and Acekard provides a 1-year warranty on its flash carts, so I would urge you to exchange yours for another one.

That said, there have been MANY reports of bad DSTT's as of late, not even counting the clones that are being sold as real DSTT's all over the place (even at dealextreme until recently).

You probably already know that the DSTT costs only a few dollars less than the Acekard 2, but that the Acekard 2's menu is far better than the DSTT's (which doesn't have some basic features that nearly every other flash cart has standard like sorting games alphabetically and displaying folders).

So while it's unfortunate that you had a bad experience with the Acekard's build quality and I totally agree that the Acekard 2's shell isn't as sturdy as some other flash carts, I personally would not recommend the DSTT over the Acekard 2 only because one person had some trouble inserting an Acekard 2.

-Bri

gekiwolf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So I just got mine today. The top clip arrived broken but cart works just fine. Will it affect me in the long run or should I just tell DX to exchange it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1