AK+ release

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by gab10, Jan 29, 2007.

Jan 29, 2007

AK+ release by gab10 at 3:32 AM (1,848 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. gab10
    OP

Newcomer gab10 Advanced Member

China
    some ak which show ak+ can support FAT now
    if your ak without a +
    you may ask acekard.com or seller (i don't know about the details)to repleace one
    send the old one to them and get a new one

finally it solve all homebrew problem
    as acekard release ak+'s DLDI
    [​IMG]
    new one
    [​IMG]
    old one(need to replace)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. putamierda

Newcomer putamierda Advanced Member

Andorra
    That's great news, but it took me almost a month to get my acekard, and there is no way I'm going to spend money nor time only to have fat support and homebrew.
    My acekard works just fine now, if I want more features, I'll buy another cart.
    The only concern I have is that I really hope they don't stop supporting and updating the regular acekard simply because they have a newer hardware, if that's the case, I'm gonna be very pissed [​IMG]

3. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    thats really unfair on thier customers

4. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    It hardly seems unfair for a company to give their customers a free hardware upgrade.

5. putamierda

Andorra
    It's free? where have you read it? [​IMG]

6. Destructobot

United States
    I read it here: http://www.acekard.com/archives/45.htm. It's just above the screenshots.

7. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    some people don't read topics properly lol.
    well good news for acekard owners and the people who complained about homebrew support.

8. putamierda

Andorra
    They could send me the replacement, and once I had it, then I would gladly give them back the old one, that would be neat [​IMG]

9. Monkey01

Member Monkey01 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Hmm, nice, that makes AceKard+ just as good as R4/M3Simply doesn't it? [​IMG]
    I'm to addicted to DKR atm though, so I first wait till dkr is out before I switch my AceKard. [​IMG]

10. Destructobot

United States
    Not really. I'm not going to go into which is better, but this update does not seem to give the Acekard the same advantages as the R4/Simply.

They don't say that you'll no longer need the Acekard manager to put the games on the card.

Their news release says "Support FAT/AKFS together", which makes me think that you will still need AKFS even with the Acekard+. They also say that FAT won't work on microSD cards that have "blocks", whatever that means. They only list three kinds of cards as working with FAT.

They don't mention anything about the save list, so I assume you still need to use the list or set the save type manually.

I'd like to see a new review for the Acekard+. It would be nice to have a hands-on report from someone that actually speaks English.

11. Monkey01

Netherlands
    As far as I see it, there are MicroSD carts which are supported for FAT with AceKard+ and MicroSD carts who don't. If you have one that does support FAT, you can just drag and drop your stuff on the TF-cart in windows explorer. If you don't, then you'll have to keep using AceKard manager.
    Guess you're right 'bout the savelist though. [​IMG]

12. Destructobot

United States
    It could be something more convoluted, like a hybrid AKFS/FAT format, or they might just let you embed a FAT volume as a file on the AKFS formatted card. Either way you would need to use the manager to transfer the roms. It seems like the whole point of this update is to make homebrew work, not to make the manager unnecessary.

Until there is solid information (that hasn't gone through Babelfish) these are all just guesses of course.

13. gab10
    OP

Newcomer gab10 Advanced Member

China
    although it support FAT
    it still need a japan kingston pny, or toshiba mirco sd card and set speed 3

ak suggest user
    use some software like O&O Defrag pro, windows disk defragmenter periodically
    reduce fragmentation if the game run slow

and i want to ask using defrag software
    will lead flash memory's life shorter or not?

14. Monkey01

Netherlands
    The TF-card's life will not be significantly shorter when you use defragmentation software. All it basically does is putting your files on a different part of the TF-card, so it will be like deleting all and putting it back again...

15. DavePS

Newcomer DavePS Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Sounds like a good move for Acekard. Removes another complaint about the produc, namely AKFS. Personally i'm sticking with my first gen Acekard, after all, it still works flawlessly for me

16. bl21

Newcomer bl21 Advanced Member

United States
    it is free. i read it from their official site. u have to pay shipping though.

17. Zagorex

Zagorex Newbie

You say that free upgrade is a great idea?
    Perhaps for the Chinese customers.
    If I wanted to send my AK in China, I would have to pay more than if bought a new card.... and in the case, I do not know if I would buy of new ak (good card, but oblosete now with new one, and for support? You belive in AK team now?)

Great idea was to allow the upgrade of the old cards to all, directly to our house.

Ak team promise DLDI and FAT support, this is a new card (and for not chinese customer .. is not convenient)

18. bl21

Newcomer bl21 Advanced Member

United States
    i personally did not buy ak, so i dont care if it is a good idea or not. for the shipping, if u bought the ak from north america reseller, u just need pay the shipping to the reseller, i think ak team will cover the over-sea shipping. thats the other reason to buy these stuff from north american resellers:)

19. diglett

Member diglett GBAtemp Regular

United States
  20. 111111111

Member 111111111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Zimbabwe
    Fuck me, you ant the moon on a stick you do.

Companies are all shit, but they are offering a free upgrade (for shipping costs only) - you can hardly slate them for that.