Gaming Aion EU Free to play today! (MMORPG)

KingBlank

King of Nothing
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
The day has finally come, and Aion is free to play... in europe at least, im currently waiting for the website to open so i can make an account.
im fairly sure that its not region locked.

www.aionfreetoplay.com/

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Once it goes pay to play (as in they'll pay me to play it) I might try it out again.

But considering it was terrible at launch, and i've heard nothing but bad things about the localization staff taking months to do updates and basically abandoning the game altogether, it's not surprising it went F2P with a very quickly dwindling population.
Generally when a P2P game goes F2P, it's not a good thing. They're doing it to try to save their financial asses because no one wants to pay for their game.
That's how they ruined Champions Online. It used to be a pretty sweet game.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm still getting this, first time I'm actually giving an MMORPG a try, I'll see how it goes. Recently been addicted to Dungeon Defenders, which is also sort of an MMORPG. Very amusing.

D

Deleted User

I'm still getting this, first time I'm actually giving an MMORPG a try, I'll see how it goes. Recently been addicted to Dungeon Defenders, which is also sort of an MMORPG. Very amusing.

DD is an online Tower Defense Game, Not an mmoRPG at all.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

Oh right, that's why you can upgrade your armour, level your characters, choose different character styles, and PvP.

D

Deleted User

Oh right, that's why you can upgrade your armour, level your characters, choose different character styles, and PvP.
Title: Dungeon Defenders
Genre: Action, Strategy, RPG, Indie

M
MORPGS are World of Wacraft, Swtor, Aion ETC.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

MMORPGS are World of Wacraft, Swtor, Aion ETC.
When a game has so many elements of an MMORPG, it's an MMORPG IMHO. I don't care what Steam says , it's a great mix of genres, and one of them is MMORPG. Hell, there are even quests!

D

Deleted User

When a game has so many elements of an MMORPG, it's an MMORPG IMHO. I don't care what Steam says , it's a great mix of genres, and one of them is MMORPG. Hell, there are even quests!
You've never played an MMO.
A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO and MMOG) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

DD, 4k peak

Still a solid game, just not an mmo.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DD is an MMO the same way Diablo 2 is.
AKA they aren't actually MMOs but you can play 'em online within a controlled environment, with up to a small number of people.
Though hell then we could argue instanced MMOs like Guild Wars and Vindictus, where only towns are populated and the rest of the game is secure instancing, are on the same boat.

Still, DD is just a tower def RPG with an online component.
I should play it some more...fun game.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO and MMOG) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously.

DD, 4k peak

4.4 million.
And that's not even counting the 100ks people who play it via the likes of Tunngle and Hamachi.

Not a complete MMO like WoW, that's true :)

D

Deleted User

DD, 4k peak

4.4 million.
And that's not even counting the 100ks people who play it via the likes of Tunngle and Hamachi.

The hell are you talking about, STEAM has 4.4 million people logged in, Dungeon Defenders has less than 5,000 on a peak day.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

DD, 4k peak

4.4 million.

The hell are you talking about, STEAM has 4.4 million people logged in, Dungeon Defenders has less than 5,000 on a peak day.
LOL true, sorry. There are enough players online to be rated a small MMORPG, but it's true they aren't in the same world at the same time. Max. 4 players in one game, that's it.
But it has so much things I associate with MMORPG's, so it's sort of an MMORPG in my book.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The playerbase doesn't mean anything towards it being an MMO.
MMO means you're playing in a massive world with a large amount of people concurrently.

In DD you form small parties of players (what, 4 max?) and can play together.

Just because an RPG can go online doesn't automatically make it an MMO.

A pretty quick little quote
MMORPGs are distinguished from single-player or small multi-player RPGs by the number of players, and by the game's persistent world, usually hosted by the game's publisher, which continues to exist and evolve while the player is away from the game.

Catacombs13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forge or Forge War, is an upcoming MMO that blends elements of PVP and FPS. The game allows players to choose one of five unique warrior classes and join in the PVP battle in an ultimate effort to liberate their God from the clutches of The Devourer.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
LOL true, sorry. There are enough players online to be rated a small MMORPG, but it's true they aren't in the same world at the same time. Max. 4 players in one game, that's it.
But it has so much things I associate with MMORPG's, so it's sort of an MMORPG in my book.
It's not an MMO unless it's in a massively populated world. It's like calling CoD an MMOFPS, which it's not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs