Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (ABC)

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by soulx, May 13, 2013.

1. soulx
    OP

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada

http://www.agentsofshield.com/
    #coulsonlives

2. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Huh. I guess I have a reason to watch ABC now.

Whodathunk?

3. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    I pray this isn't another "Firefly". It seems major U.S. networks are more bloodthirsty than ever these days.

Anyways, this will definitely have my support. 100% Ever since the Avengers, I'm all in for anything Marvel related. (Disney-wise)

4. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Well, ABC, you've got my attention. You'd better not mess this up.

5. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Coulson lives, thats all you had to say.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I saw it as part of my "click on a random youtube video to see if flash works" part of an OS reinstall today. Probably not going to be enough to break my "watch it only when two series or it has been cancelled" rule but has more promise than most.

That said I did like the last two Marvel TV shows (Mutant X and Blade) and if this is getting a bit of a bigger budget then things might happen.

7. gokujr1000

gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 10, 2008
    Gallifrey
    I'm watching because Avengers and Joss Whedon.

8. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    i only like marvel when theres brightly colored folks doing superhuman things. i'd rather see keeping up with the genoshans or something.

9. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    I on the other hand prefer the "behind the scenes" stuff of the Marvel universe. Have you read Damage Control?

10. soulx
    OP

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    Watched the first episode and it's actually pretty good. While it's not perfect, it's a nice way to flesh out the Marvel universe and cover some characters that aren't featured in the movies.

Plus Coulson is pretty chill.

[​IMG]

11. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I hope there will be known heroes appearance (I mean from already released movies).
    How many people do you think went/will go to Tahiti ? ;)

12. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    well, saw ep 1. its not yet bad. but i'm also only mildly thrilled so far. entertaining enough for the moment, but I still felt the need to play some Project Rub on the DS.

they better wear some shield tactical diving suits with white belts at some point. I'm really sick of all those shows with mostly exchangeable agents in black suits
    and I'm still hoping for a strong support cast. I mean, I dont expect hulk or iron man to come by (for animation budged reasons alone), but some secondary heroes or villains like the wrecking crew or powerman? can't believe that for a second there, I thought that black guy was supposed to be powerman :/

the plastic gun towards the end also seemed kinda childish.

13. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    ...Eh?

Suffers Joss Whedon syndrome where every character has to be FUNNY and QUIRKY which can become really old and worn out when you've seen enough of Joss Whedon's stuff.

None of the characters are particularly interesting and mostly their traits fall down to what type of humorous trope they represent.

Also there's a fair share of plot holes. Like how Agent Coulson, despite his not-being-dead thing being TOTALLY secret, just walks around in plain daylight and apparently Level 7 is huge because he walks around such a massive building all the time.

It seems very possible for this to turn into a Villain of the Week deal which would really suck since Villain of the Week sucks. This ain't fucking Gundam.

How can some random hacker chick in a van hack the security of the world's foremost spy network when it was really really hard for Tony Stark to do it with, y'know, his masterful mind and billions of dollars of tech? Don't give me this "well she's a prodigy hacker lol" bullshit because that is a really tired excuse.

It can be entertaining, I'll give them that, but good? Really not from this pilot. I have hopes it'll try to elevate itself from the typical quirky bullshit and make characters worth caring about but as it is, it's only doing well based on the name behind it. You took the same concept, ditched any Marvel affiliation, and tried to make it an original series like Firefly and this would be DOA, I can tell you that.

14. gokujr1000

gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 10, 2008
    Gallifrey
    Can't say I enjoyed episode 1 that much. Hopefully by mid season the show feels normal.

15. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Oh my god, LAME. This screams lame on SO many levels. A show is only as good as the audience is: the more people watch it, the better off it'll be. I'm not really excited, considering what they did with Iron Man 3 and Captain America and Thor and the Avengers. Thor kicks Iron Man's ass since he's the god of thunder while Tony Stark invents all his weapons. There's just one of the reasons why I think this show'll bomb pretty soon. If the pilot was bad, chances are the rest of the episodes will be worse.

16. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but... I agree with you.

I thought the whole thing was lackluster. I wasn't expecting much though. Because, well, ABC/tv. The special effects sucked, the characters were trying too hard to be funny, and they started too many drama side-plots at one time. Space them bitches out. I'm going to watch the next episode or two to make sure it isn't only the pilot that sucks, but I won't hold my breath.

17. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Utterly unrelated to the show being discussed but that is an interesting position. Sure more viewers might mean a better budget but it is usually not long after that the grim spectre of "executive meddling" appears.

Depending upon the school of screenwriting you subscribe to that is an accepted "early show/new character" device, personally I dislike it when it wears off as villain/disease/case/criminal/intrigue of the week gets quite boring for me.

Guild McCommunist and Gahars like this.
  18. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I like it because it gives me a slight glimpse into the "normal" marvel world. But other than that, I feel like its just tasteless rice filler between major marvel movies.

19. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    So I watched both episodes that have been release today, and this is pretty nice. And the ending on the second one made me laugh like a motherfucker lol. I like it, I kinda wanna see this actually go somewhere.

20. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Ugh this show is getting even worse.

It's worst sin isn't that it's a Joss Whedon show, it's that it's not, it's trying to be a Joss Whedon show. So it's the same every character is quirky thing but without any of the writing being clever. Because Whedon can be a good writer, at times, but boil it down and it's quirky characters and quirky humor.

Ward is incredibly Mary Sue, the plots and themes of each episode are super basic and incredibly cheeseball (this last episode could've just been called "Teamwork!"), characters have no depth, and a lot of the tonal issues happen.

Also SHIELD are pretty fucking terrible and this show makes them too nice. The fact that Coulson let an entire guerrilla squad on his secret government command plane and let them roam free is just complete bullshit. He should've just left their asses there because SHIELD operates on the whole "greater good" thing (where sacrifices must be made) and also on non-interference with the world, they just intervene when, y'know, the world itself could be destroyed.

So yeah the show is a complete mess and lacks any real depth. It's only redeeming factor is some pretty great production values for TV but that's about as far as it goes.