Age of Empires: Age of Kings, horrible flickering

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by ferofax, Jul 20, 2012.

1. ferofax
    OP

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    So i'm replaying the game again, trying to get 3 stars on all my campaign, and lo & behold, wild horrible flicker appears! It's ridiculously distracting, and I distinctly remember it not being this bad. I remember flicker, but nothing like this. What happens is some sprites flicker in and out of the terrain tiles, most notably when there are lots of units onscreen. the flickers synchronize with the units' idle animations.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with me using an Acekard2i? Back then, I used to play this in the now defunct EDGE/iEDGE flashcarts...

I'll try setting it back up on my old iEDGE and DSphat, see if it flickers that bad as well...

I have also resorted to downloading other ROMs from other sites, same thing...

2. syfyTy

Member syfyTy PhD in Thaumaturgy

United States
    if it becomes a 3rd or 4th gen copy, that type of thing will frequently happen. I work from known stable originals (I own only use my own rom dumps from owned originals) and use a Ds2, not knocking the cart but I suspect tht might be adding to it also. As I said, if it is a copy pof a copy of a copy, With each gen copy; it can and often will degrade in miniscule amounts and become corrupt until eventually not working.

Try a fresh rom , referrably numbered. They are often nearest to new you can find. It would be best if you satarted over as you won't know if it is the save file (or other accompanying file) if you just get new rom and old save & support files.

If it were a DS2 I would suggest changing save size and speed too but not sure your has those options.

Expensive cards usually offer more options. I swear BY the Ds2 and AT all other cards. JMO

3. ferofax
    OP

Philippines
    hmm, so a nested copy... lol, that miniscule change sounds like forensics theory. :D

i'll try to find an early release... i hope it's just like what you said. thanks.

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Check the CRC, if it matches the proper dump then it hasn't been modified.

The whole "each time it's copied it degrades a bit" only applies in two situations.
    1 - Analog copying.
    2 - Lossy compression.

Neither is the case with ROM dumps or transferring/copying files directly via computers (which doesn't re-encode and is a digital copy), so that's not what's going on.

HOWEVER, MicroSD's and the readers aren't always perfect and there may be some physical issue with them (some cheap readers are known to overheat when transferring too much data at once, damaging the data as it comes through, or damaging the reader). This has been known to result in ROMs transferred with come corruption because of the hardware defects. While MicroSDs can overheat as well, generally if the MicroSD is still functional and it's just recently-transferred games that mess up it's the reader at fault.

5. ferofax
    OP

Philippines
    well, for the most part all the other games and files on the microSD doesn't seem to be corrupted or anything, just this specific title.

EDIT: Tested it on my R4i green + DSiXL, rarely flickers, fairly stable image on touchscreen. comparing them side by side, the 3DS one definitely suffers horrible flickering. Same ROM, same CRC, same save files. Just different flashcarts and different devices (R4i+XL vs AK2i+3DS).

I don't know what gives. :/

EDIT2: Tried the AK2i on my XL, same result--horrible flickering. Must be the Acekard2i, or the microSD, because I can already rule out the ROM and the save file. Will now try a microSD swap.

EDIT3: FOUND IT!!!!! It's the freaking microSD. no more flickering! whew, good thing I got a lot of devices that use microSD-- if one fails, I just take it off another one. I'd say this is an issue resolved.

Mods, please lock. :)