ROM Hack AGBSave9 VS Decrypt9 for GBA VC Injection

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've recently been using the AGBSave9 to export/import my GBA VC saves but it's a pretty tedious process although it does work. I saw that Decrypt9 had GBA save manipulation now so I tried to use that one for ease of access but it never seems to work for me. I have the needed slotkey and it says it "succeeds" yet I'm always reverted back to my backup save instead. The ROM in question is Pokemon Leaf Green BTW.

I have seen on other forums that the standard save should be 128kb vs 64kb Flash 1 but both programs only dump a 64kb file. PKHeX/PikaSav/Rhydon recognize the save dumped with AGB while, PKHeX/Rhydon are the only ones who recognize the export from Decrypt9. Both dumps work fine on a PC emulator without changes.

So I saw that someone suggested to change the file size of the save through the emulator but Decrypt9 will not recognize a 128kb.bin file, so that's a no go. I also saw the suggestion to go to D0 88 8D 83 42 and replace anything in between it and 24 10 49 10 68 with 00, but I don't want to have to rebuild the CIA just to use Decrypt9 for Save injection unless I have to.

I'm using a N3DSXL on Luma 6.0.1 with A9LH updated sysNAND. I have also seen other threads mentioning to use a previous version of Luma (5.5?) to get the VC injection working but IIRC that was only in regards to AGBSave9, which I said works fine, it's just a tedious process. (Even with that I still get the "The save is corrupted. The previous save file will be loaded" but my edits are there, so IDC).

That said, is there anything else I could probably try to get the Decrypt9 GBA VC Injection working? TIA.

Last edited by Majickhat55,

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've recently been using the AGBSave9 to export/import my GBA VC saves but it's a pretty tedious process although it does work. I saw that Decrypt9 had GBA save manipulation now so I tried to use that one for ease of access but it never seems to work for me. I have the needed slotkey and it says it "succeeds" yet I'm always reverted back to my backup save instead. The ROM in question is Pokemon Leaf Green BTW.

I have seen on other forums that the standard save should be 128kb vs 64kb Flash 1 but both programs only dump a 64kb file. PKHeX/PikaSav/Rhydon recognize the save dumped with AGB while, PKHeX/Rhydon are the only ones who recognize the export from Decrypt9. Both dumps work fine on a PC emulator without changes.

So I saw that someone suggested to change the file size of the save through the emulator but Decrypt9 will not recognize a 128kb.bin file, so that's a no go. I also saw the suggestion to go to D0 88 8D 83 42 and replace anything in between it and 24 10 49 10 68 with 00, but neither dump contain those hex strings so that won't work for me either. The GBC/GB save dumps from Pokemon R/G/B/Y do contain those hex strings though. Either way that's obviously not an option either.

I'm using a N3DSXL on Luma 6.0.1 with A9LH updated sysNAND. I have also seen other threads mentioning to use a previous version of Luma (5.5?) to get the VC injection working but IIRC that was only in regards to AGBSave9, which I said works fine, it's just a tedious process. (Even with that I still get the "The save is corrupted. The previous save file will be loaded" but my edits are there, so IDC).

That said, is there anything else I could probably try to get the Decrypt9 GBA VC Injection working? TIA.
The hex editing only applies to the Pokemon rom itself. After you hex edit the rom, open it up with the 128 Kb save file on an emulator on your computer. Afterward, save in-game. This will result in a 64 Kb save.

Edit: just so you know, this is all theory.

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, ok, I misread the question. To get them back to 128 kb, you will need to use visualboyadvance. Put the unedited rom and 64 kb save file in the same directory with the same name besides the extension, and load the rom with VBA. Afterward on emulation options, you will need to click edit and go to 3005004. Change the byte there to 00 or 01 (I forget which). Then you will be able to load the save on visualboyadvance. Create a save state to make sure you do not lose the save after loading.

Then, set the save type to flash 64 and save the game. After you saved once, switch it back to flash 128 and save again. This should make the save file 128 kb.

I'm looking for the YouTube tutorial I used on the hex edit, because I might be confusing myself. I'll post it here when I find it.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, ok, I misread the question. To get them back to 128 kb, you will need to use visualboyadvance. Put the unedited rom and 64 kb save file in the same directory with the same name besides the extension, and load the rom with VBA. Afterward on emulation options, you will need to click edit and go to 3005004. Change the byte there to 00 or 01 (I forget which). Then you will be able to load the save on visualboyadvance. Create a save state to make sure you do not lose the save after loading.

Then, set the save type to flash 64 and save the game. After you saved once, switch it back to flash 128 and save again. This should make the save file 128 kb.

I'm looking for the YouTube tutorial I used on the hex edit, because I might be confusing myself. I'll post it here when I find it.
I don't need to get them back to 128kb lol. There were never that size in the first place. They load both on the 3DS and the Emulator with the size dumped (64kb). My problem is injecting using Decrypt9, my saves are fine since they work wonderfully with ABGSave9. Thank you for the insight though :D

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I think you just mis-read my OP. I stated I had already done that (changing the save size: Decrypt9 will not recognize a 128kb file). I'm just trying to get Decrypt9 to inject my save properly, that's all.

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't need to get them back to 128kb lol. There were never that size in the first place. They load both on the 3DS and the Emulator with the size dumped (64kb). My problem is injecting using Decrypt9, my saves are fine since they work wonderfully with ABGSave9. Thank you for the insight though :D
Ah ok, I misread again, sorry :wacko:. I've never used Decrypt9's save injection, so I guess I can't help there.

I think you just mis-read my OP. I stated I had already done that (changing the save size: Decrypt9 will not recognize a 128kb file). I'm just trying to get Decrypt9 to inject my save properly, that's all.

Yeah, I misread pretty bad. Sorry again

Last edited by ThisIsDaAccount,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1