Again : CycloDS not that good..

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by lafleche, Jul 15, 2008.

Jul 15, 2008
  1. lafleche
    OP

Member lafleche GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Having bought the CycloDS to replace my R4 I still feel I wasted my money and should probably have bought the Acekard RPG...

I hoped the CycloDS solved issues like Castlevania POR (freezing) and Tony hawk slowdowns..... none of that.... damn...now tell me what why the CycloDS is better then the R4?

2. Curley5959

Member Curley5959 CCC Member!

Australia
    Ii have an R4 but heaps of people say the SDHC (watever it is) is better and the features and stuff like that.. [​IMG]

3. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    features, features dude. the Cyclo has many more features over other cards (with the exception of the SCDS1) it has SDHC support, Ingame Menu's which include Real Time save and a few others, Strong support from Team Cyclops. Just to name a few. And POR freezing and slowdowns are mainly due to slow microsd/hc Read/write speeds, not the cart itself. get a better Microsd and it will probably solve the slowdown issues, or at least lessen them.

4. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I had no problems whatsoever but then perhaps you just have a shit SD card.

5. Doggy124

Member Doggy124 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    Only thing that I found R4 is better than Cyclo is boot speed.

6. ganons

Member ganons GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    format to fat 16 maybe

7. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Since when was the flash card responsible for ROMs lagging? It is and has always been the MicroSD card. Read the GBAtemp review of the CycloDS.
    Listed in the cons section:

It's been acknowledged by Team Cyclops as well. Of course, all cards share this problem. If you want absolutely no lag or freezing, get any brand-name SDHC card or Kingston Japan 1 or 2GB.

8. lafleche
    OP

Netherlands
    Well... I got the Kingston 1 Gb (made in Japan) and a 4 Gb SDHC (made in Japan)

On the Cyclods forum it is said that all microsd cards based flashcards have problems with freezing in Castlevania POR and slowdowns in Tony Hawk (to name the 2 problem titles...)

I still feel stupid and angry (on myself) not to have digged more deeper into this issue and just bought the AceKard RPG.
    Internal memory cards are just so much better and the AceKard RPG also has the SDHC compatible microcard reader.....

I guess I will try to sell my CycloDS or R4 (or both?) just to get me an AceKard.....

9. DeMoN

United States
    Why don't you sell your Cyclo and buy a DS-Extreme? I heard it uses an internal memory card.

10. lafleche
    OP

Netherlands
    a DS-Extreme? Having read the review over here on gbatemp I guess this is not the best choice :-)

11. DeMoN

United States
    Unfortunately there is no other choice if you want a flash card with on-board memory unless you can somehow find a used G6Real.

Two points I want to make:
    -Any flash card that uses a MicroSD can never play games at 100% actual speed. This was one of the inherent issues when using MicroSDs for flash cards was first introduced, but it hasn't been a problem for most people (excluding yourself).

-Portrait of Ruin will sometimes freeze on its own whether you're playing it on a flash card or the actual cartridge. I myself have experienced freezing once on an actual card, as have a few other people here, but most GBAtempers don't buy DS games so you won't hear many problems about it here.

12. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    AK RPG offers 1GB onboard storage.

13. ackers

Member ackers GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I say stick with CycloDS and get a better SDHC card. In-game text reader will be in the next firmware soon.

14. MrSpud

Member MrSpud GBAtemp Regular

Canada

Ds-x? Put it this way, the Ds-x domains are registered until july 17, tomorrow. After that, no more ds-x, still thinking about buying ds-x? Yeah right!

15. NeSchn

Member NeSchn GBAPimpdaddy.

United States
    No i know where he is talking about in Tony Hawk. I have a 1gb Kingston and Downhill Jam freezes for me on any flashcard.

16. MolotovC

Newcomer MolotovC Member

United States
    Downhill Jam runs fine for me on dstt and scds-1. The dstt and scds-1 running the dstt firmware seems to get more speed out of even crap mem cards like sandisk cheapies than others flashcarts. For example sandisk sdhc 4gb on dstt/scds-1(dstt) can run the vania-dos intro without a hiccup.

Some flashcarts are slower than others, you can't paint all with the same brush because of fanboism.

17. Salamantis

Member Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Well it also depends on if other people are also having problems. I personally haven't tried any of those games...

18. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    The op should've just bought the two problematic games for like 10 bucks each instead of buying two new flashcards to get them running and starting yet another "CycloDS is bad!!" topic [​IMG]

19. lafleche
    OP

Netherlands
    I didn't say the CycloDS is bad... I just think that it's overhyped as being the best card and that IF I just had given myself 2 hours more on the internet I probably wouldn't have bought it and would have bought the AceKard RPG as being
    - really 100% compatible (with no slowdowns/freezing thanks to internal memory)
    - slightly more fun because of the opensource thing
    - and more....

I don't blame CycloDS and it probably delivers just that what the majority wants (as R4 did not so long ago).... I know that the ARPG also has it's problems and perhaps hasn't all the nice features (although the latest loaders do a good job) but it seems to have just that what I am looking for.

Probably I will sell my R4 and keep the CyclosDS ....but AceKard RPG will be ordered (as soon as I can finc the money :-) )

20. satel

Member satel Luigi's Big Brother

Tokelau
    yes it is overhyped,other ds flashcards are much more fun to use than cyclods.