Aftermarket part or Mod?

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by WarioWaffles, Sep 27, 2014.

1. WarioWaffles
    OP

WarioWaffles Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2014
    United States
    I found this recently and at first I thought it was an aftermarket screw in grip to give the gameboy a better hold but it seems to change the shape of the battery port (looking at mine, but lacking the screwdriver to check if it recesses completely, there's a trapezoid shape sitting ontop the of the square area). I suppose it's possible that the trapezoid isn't as recessed as the rest of the square and this aftermarket part screws in to the trapezoid area screw but that leaves it with the odd design decision of needing its own specialty battery cover to replace your perfectly functioning one.

The other odd thing about this is most GBA SP grips extend outwards from the system.

Checking in to see if anyone has some enlightening expertise or knowledge on this, very curious minds want to know. I mean it's gotta be some sort of 3rd party grip but it's just so odd (to me at least)

[​IMG]

2. tvoretz

tvoretz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2011
    United States
    My first instinct is to say it's meant to be a higher-capacity battery than standard, kind of like this one:
    [​IMG]

I wish the seller of the red GBA had uploaded higher-resolution pics. :/

3. WarioWaffles
    OP

WarioWaffles Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2014
    United States
    I can try asking but it's a pawn shop and I doubt they can be bothered.