Question After updating to 8.1.0 / AMS 0.9.3, accessing hbmenu within a game crashes for many titles

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by shedeus, Aug 21, 2019.

1. shedeus
    OP

shedeus Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2018
    United States
    I recently updated to 8.1.0 from 7.0.1 (AMS 0.9.3) and while everything plays fine, I noticed accessing hbmenu/albumapp from within a game crashes atmosphere to blue screen for many titles. Some work fine and I'm able to access Edizon, checkpoint, etc. but for many it crashes hard.

I am not using kosmos or hekate btw. Just straight copied AMS 0.9.3 to sd card along with es and fs patches.
    Any ideas what I did wrong?

2. arianadark

arianadark GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 20, 2016
    United States
    you could try wiping your sd card and put a fresh copy of the new files and see if it gives you the same issues p.s. save any files that are important to you

3. bad361

bad361 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 18, 2018
    Russia
    Moscow
    i recently upgraded to 8.1.0 from 7.0.1 too and had similar issue. But my switch hard crashed every time after trying to enter hb menu while in-game (no blue screen tho) ... Eventually i figured it out and the problem was in Freebird app. I started testing with a completely fresh atmos and started adding my apps one by one and you know the rest... Freebird was the cause, had to delete it (not just .nro, but the whole app including the title folder in atmosphere/titles) and now everything works as it should. May be it'll give you an idea, idk...

Last edited by bad361, Aug 21, 2019
    shedeus likes this.
  4. shedeus
    OP

shedeus Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2018
    United States
    Brilliant. That did the trick! Poor freeset, I love that app :(

5. bad361

bad361 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 18, 2018
    Russia
    Moscow
    yeah, me too, hope they will add a proper support for 8.1.0 soon (or maybe it's an atmos thing..)

Last edited by bad361, Aug 21, 2019
  6. shedeus
    OP

shedeus Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2018
    United States
    I'm going to go bug _JK about it :P (pun intended)

7. octopus

octopus Custom Title

Sep 6, 2013
    Somalia
    /
    Just add this to KosmosToolbox/config.json:
    Code:
            {
                "name"  : "freebird",
                "tid"   : "010000000000C235",
                "requires_reboot": true
            },
    Pay attention to the comma after the } bracket, it's not needed after the last item in that file, add/remove accordingly.
    Configure Freebird before launching a game and disable it when you plan to launch hb-menu as an applet.

Last edited by octopus, Aug 23, 2019
    shedeus likes this.
  8. shedeus
    OP

shedeus Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2018
    United States
    Wow, thanks for this! I am not using the Kosmos packaged CFW however, just a straight copy/paste of AMS from atmosphere github.
    Is this still relevant for me?

I like to save scum in certain games. It seems like I won't be able to duck into hb-menu mid game with checkpoint when freebird is running :(

Last edited by shedeus, Aug 23, 2019
  9. octopus

octopus Custom Title

Sep 6, 2013
    Somalia
    /
    Me neither, just get that homebrew from Kosmos pack. Toolbox is useful as a sysmodule manager, you can add anything to it.

shedeus likes this.