Gaming After the 3DS, will you ever be able to go back?

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Not for me...I have next-to-no depth perception, so I probably won't be able to have fun with 3D
frown.gif

For most people, though, I don't think so. Maybe if the entire next generation of video games uses 3D - these things take time. Some of us have been 2D gaming since the 70s - one single device experience isn't going to rework 40 years of memories on how to do things (especially for people that age, for whom gaming doesn't get a ton of time, like ye whippersnappers).

/rant.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nope. 99% of the games I play, regardless of machine playing them, have zero need or use of 3d.

3d is like anything else, just a quality of the experience. Doesn't automatically make something better. I loved the shit out of Avatar, and would have liked it as much in non 3d as I did 3d.
Then again, I have no depth perception eh. 3d is largely lost on me half the time. Yes people, some of us actually have eye sight that doesn't see in 3 dimensions the way most of you do. My eyes both view indpendently of each other (yes it is not easy being me). What's odd, is I CAN see depth, I am just unable to see it the way you would. The doctor told me, my 'software' is different than you.

Figures eh, my brain is likely running Linux
smile.gif
You are all running Windows.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
I've seen the glassless Sharp 3D technology at Best Buy on the back of a new Fugi camera -- it is amazing (and it doesn't hurt your eyes)!

Time will tell, but the transition from SD to HD rendered the former obsolete. My prediction is that 3D will do the same to 2D based on technological history and the camera demo I saw at Best Buy.
gba.gif

Trollology

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Rydian said:
Trollology said:
How can people not see depth? 0_0
It doesn't make sense to me.
Far things are small and near things are big...
Idk that's how I find it
tongue.gif
Close one eye and try walking down some stairs without falling and hurting yourself.

My house doesn't have stairs.
I tried running around the house and I had no problems.
I'll try in school tomorrow
tongue.gif

LunaWofl

Tyrant R. of ye olde Prinny Squad
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Years and years of gaming have given me the ability to accurately perceive depth in 2D displays, the addition of 3d displays in general will not hinder my ability to go back, an addictive game however, might.

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
Guess I could go back but it won't be the same. I'll have to be able to go back if I plan to enjoy those old GB games I'm planning to get from the 3DS store and play my old DS games on the 3DS.

D

Deleted_171835

Yep.
The Game Boy's screen looked like shit when I saw the GBA's screen. The GBA's screen looked like crap when I saw the DS Lite screen. The DS Lite screen looked like garbage when I saw the DSi's screen. The DSi's screen looked really small when I saw the DSi XL's screen. The DSi XL's screen will look bad in comparison to the 3DS's screen. I won't be able to go back.

LunaWofl

Tyrant R. of ye olde Prinny Squad
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Rydian said:
Trollology said:
Idk that's how I find it
tongue.gif
Close one eye and try walking down some stairs without falling and hurting yourself.
Out of curiosity, i did just that, dident see any difference, then tried again, tried the other eye, tried again, still saw no difference...
I dont see any effect, and to that, i fail to see what that was meant to demonstrate...

Trollology

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
FrozenIndignation said:
Out of curiosity, i did just that, dident see any difference, then tried again, tried the other eye, tried again, still saw no difference...
I dont see any effect, and to that, i fail to see what that was meant to demonstrate...

Exactly...
tongue.gif

MMX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why shouldn't people be able to go back?

It depends on how much you played and love this system.

It's like when people see their first car from 1970 and want to own it just to have the memories from when they were younger. That is why I play occasionally N64 or SNES games. The same reason why people love 2D Mario.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trollology said:
Idk that's how I find it
tongue.gif

Well, I am blind in one eye. You need to have both eyes to see 3 dimensions. If you close one eye, it results in you seeing in only 2D vision. With one eye, you will eventually learn a sort of pseudo-depth-perception, but trust me, it's NOT the same as true 3D.
Try going out as a one-eyed pirate for Halloween. Don't take the eye patch off for the whole day. Bet you can't keep it on ALL DAY without it driving you nuts and "forcing" you to rip it off in frustration to "see" what the heck you're looking at.
Then, think how it would be to be like that ALL THE TIME. You'd get only a small taste of what I've had to deal with since 1991.
Frankly, it sucks.

What companies used to call 3D gameplay just meant polygon graphics. It basically looks the same whether you are using one OR two eyes.

For a person with only one eye to see with, the effect that causes 3D on the 3DS will not project the image beyond the screen like it does for people with 2 good eyes. A person with one eye will only see the polygon graphics, not the "image projection" effect. You know those glasses that you use for 3D movies? Well those don't work for people with only one eye. It's the same thing with the 3DS, but it's the 3DS that's wearing the glasses, so to speak.

Hope that helps you understand the difference at least a little better.
grog.gif

KinGamer7

Trophies
XP
Country
Absolutely! 3DS will offer us new and improved qualities of the games we'll play, but the classics will always remain timeless. Earlier on today, my dad and I was playing the arcade game Defender (1980) using my new arcade stick, taking it in turns to destroy the hangers, mutants, etc. The graphics don't make a shred of difference; the gameplay stands strong.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
monkat said:
Not for me...I have next-to-no depth perception, so I probably won't be able to have fun with 3D
frown.gif

I don't get it, you either have full depth perception or you don't. If both of your eyes are working (I assume they are, but I might very well be wrong) then you have full depth perception through stereoscopy, which is the method used for 3D movies and games.

Trollology

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Rayder said:
Trollology said:
Idk that's how I find it
tongue.gif

Well, I am blind in one eye. You need to have both eyes to see 3 dimensions. If you close one eye, it results in you seeing in only 2D vision. With one eye, you will eventually learn a sort of pseudo-depth-perception, but trust me, it's NOT the same as true 3D.
Try going out as a one-eyed pirate for Halloween. Don't take the eye patch off for the whole day. Bet you can't keep it on ALL DAY without it driving you nuts and "forcing" you to rip it off in frustration to "see" what the heck you're looking at.
Then, think how it would be to be like that ALL THE TIME. You'd get only a small taste of what I've had to deal with since 1991.
Frankly, it sucks.

What companies used to call 3D gameplay just meant polygon graphics. It basically looks the same whether you are using one OR two eyes.

For a person with only one eye to see with, the effect that causes 3D on the 3DS will not project the image beyond the screen like it does for people with 2 good eyes. A person with one eye will only see the polygon graphics, not the "image projection" effect. You know those glasses that you use for 3D movies? Well those don't work for people with only one eye. It's the same thing with the 3DS, but it's the 3DS that's wearing the glasses, so to speak.

Hope that helps you understand the difference at least a little better.
grog.gif

Wow, everything is much clearer now
tongue.gif
Thanks for explaining!
biggrin.gif

But I feel bad for you... Since 1991?
ohnoes.png

I once heard somewhere that nowadays there are solutions for blindness. If you can afford, see what ophthalmologists say about your eye
wink.gif

Back on topic, I definitely think I'll be able to return to 2D gaming.
It's like going back to the colorless gameboy. Not an impossible thing, is it?
tongue.gif

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
I've seen the glassless Sharp 3D technology at Best Buy on the back of a new Fugi camera -- it is amazing (and it doesn't hurt your eyes)!

Time will tell, but the transition from SD to HD rendered the former obsolete. My prediction is that 3D will do the same to 2D based on technological history and the camera demo I saw at Best Buy.
gba.gif

HD never rendered SD obsolete. If I were to make an estimate right now, I'd say only about 50% of the average people own an HD tv, but at the same time, I would assume that 75% of the tv's used by the average person are SD. However, HD did make a great impact.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hello @realtimesave.