After Opening Lid of Laptop when closed for a few hours, I see a black screen

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Polarise, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Polarise
    OP

Polarise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    Hello, so I have been having this problem with my computer where if I were to keep my laptop closed for a few hours like overnight and/or during school, when I open my computer when I come back I see a black screen. The laptop light is still on but there is a black screen.

Here are my power settings,

• When Lid Closed
      • On Power: Do Nothing
      • On Charging: Do Nothing
    • Rest of settings are to just sleep.
    Do you know how to fix?

2. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    You're missing a few details to help us understand the scope of your problem.

What laptop is it?
    Is it just an issue of not waking up after being left closed, needing a power cycle to work again, or is it a permanent black screen?
    Is it a black screen with nothing on it, or with a tiny cursor blinking in the top right hand corner?

I get the feeling that either your laptop is set to hibernate after a set time of inactivity or the drives are set to turn off after a set time of inactivity, and the laptop is struggling to wake up after that. Both of these can be checked in your power options.

3. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Addict

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    It sounds like a problem I had with my laptop (TP-500LN). I ended up just replacing my laptop with a desktop that didn't have the problem. Of course, if you answer Originality's questions it may be that you had a different problem which actually can be resolved.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted