After nearly two decades of Xbox Live, Microsoft renames service to Xbox Network

3D7B67C3-993B-48FB-B3CC-01F79C58A677.jpeg

The start of a new console generation usually comes with a few changes, but this is a pretty major overhaul. Xbox Live, which has been the name of every Xbox console’s online service, ever since the beginning back in 2001 will be no more. Following a beta dashboard update for the Xbox Series X|S, in which every instance of “Xbox Live” had been changed to the “Xbox Network”, news outlet The Verge reached out to the company for clarification. Microsoft confirmed the name change to The Verge, stating that the change intends to differentiate the general online features of Xbox systems from its Xbox Live Gold memberships.

“’Xbox network’ refers to the underlying Xbox online service, which was updated in the Microsoft Services Agreement,” says a Microsoft spokesperson in a statement to The Verge. “The update from ‘Xbox Live’ to ‘Xbox network’ is intended to distinguish the underlying service from Xbox Live Gold memberships.”

:arrow: Source

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dedicated servers was the big one. When devs had to foot the bill there was some skimping in performance and reliability. That’s all I can think of. I can’t recall specific latency numbers or titles back in the day

Imo all that was heavily exaggerated. Myself and no I've ever known personally ever had any issues with one over the other. Shrug.

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might be in the minority but I think this actually makes sense, they just should have done it years ago. For people less familiar with gaming/Xbox, the difference between Xbox Live and "Xbox Live Gold" is not immediately clear. Assuming they are keeping "Xbox Live Gold" with the same name, this lets them disambiguate so people won't get as confused wondering whether a particular service is part of the paid subscription or not.

This might not seem applicable for those who are "in-the-know" as most on this forum are, but remember that there were people confused about the Wii U thinking it was simply an add-on for the Wii. Naming matters, especially when you're trying to draw in new users.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'll never in my life not say xbox live

This is just a change for normies though. Gamers know what xbox live is but normies are probably like "Is it a concert??"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.