After months of deliberation I will be joining arm9hax today

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by funnystory, Mar 24, 2016.

1. funnystory
    OP

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    So after being undecided due to the fact that my n3ds won't work without an SDcard,I decided I will join arm9hax today.

Here are a few of my questions though.

Can I restore a nandbackup if I do not like arm9hax?

Should I use emunand at all if I can just update sysnand without the hax ceasing to function?

What is better aurienand or cakesfw? I will eventually be buying an r4i

Do both cakesfw and aurienand let me update my sysnad without patching over firm 0 and firm 1 so my arm9hax still works?

How long does it take on average to get the hax done?

Does closing the n3ds on 2.0 cause a brick?

LuigiXL likes this.
  2. astronautlevel

astronautlevel Finding a reason, waiting for a miracle

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    1. Yes, restoring a pre-a9lh backup will remove a9lh.

2. I see very little use for EmuNAND, unless you have a gateway in which case you should keep a 9.2 EmuNAND.

3. AuReiNAND is considered more mature in its implementation of a9lh (cakesFW still can't decrypt firmware using a9lh as an entry point).

4. CakesFW and AuReiNAND both allow you to update SysNAND safely. However, CakesFW doesn't do this by default, you need to configure it.

5. It took me about an hour my first time.

6. No, it does not.

MattKimura and Supster131 like this.
  3. crimpshrine

crimpshrine GBAtemp Regular

Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    With an N3ds with a hard mod I went back and forth with flashing between NAND backups before and after I did the hack, without issue.

4. funnystory
    OP

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    I do not have a hardmod,do you know if I can use a program to flash a nand backup?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

So with cakes you can accidently ruin your hack? Do r4 carts work with aureinand??

5. dekuleon

dekuleon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    dekuleon is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 1, 2010
    Brazil
    where the wind makes the curve
    I'm very very tempted to do A9HL too, but I don't really think the risk and effort are worth.
    Homemenuhax + Reinand with EmuNAND works perfectly and is very very simple to understand and safer.

6. funnystory
    OP

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    Thats what I am thinking too. I just moved and my father shipped my n3ds cuz I asked him to return it but he never did,so now I am stuck with a n3ds that already has menuhax. I am secretly hoping for a brick so I can pay @hundshamer for a nice hardmod.

7. KJ1

KJ1 Old Member

GBAtemp Patron
    KJ1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 2, 2014
    India
    May I ask, what is the benefit of keeping 9.2 Emunand? Also, Gateway doesn't support A9LH yet, right?

8. Ziefer846

Ziefer846 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 22, 2015
    United States
    What is the latest guide on installing Arm9Hax on O3DS?

9. crimpshrine

Jun 18, 2014
    United States
  10. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Homebrews that need kernel access and are not released as .bin -- frankly I can't think of any, as most of "9.0 - 9.2, sysnand only" ones are by d0k3, and have a .bin :)

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-4-(Getting-the-OTP) is still king, updated very often, and has became simpler this week!

Ziefer846 likes this.
  11. Ziefer846

Ziefer846 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 22, 2015
    United States
    Still seems very complicated. Is there any real benefit to getting Arm9LoaderHax if I have autoboot setup with rxTools currently?

12. crimpshrine

Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    I am sure you can use one of the apps to flash the NAND back (and I think I did do that at least 1 time) just remember when flashing (or updating) you always run the risk of needing the hardmod to fix it. The unit I was messing around with I had the hardmod on, I don't mind experimenting when I know I can recover pretty easily.

13. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    2. All flash memory (nand and the SD) has limited writes. Using emunand will make the SD wear out faster, and using sysnand makes the nand wear out faster. The SD is much easier to replace. Now whether you write to either nand enough to matter is a different question, but this is still a consideration.

14. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Faster and more stable boot (and run, if you move cfw to sysnand), unbrickable (with a backup), power off to decrypt9 in under a second :)

I would say it's worth it, since the procedure now needs 60% less nand backups than 2 weeks ago!

Last edited by Ryccardo, Mar 24, 2016
  15. regnad

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    An hour?! It took me much longer!

16. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Under ideal conditions (O3DS, not carrying over emunand, steps 1-3 already done, files already downloaded, decent knowledge of the homebrews used) it may be possible, lol

Now how about an a9lh TAS? :P

17. KJ1

KJ1 Old Member

GBAtemp Patron
    KJ1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 2, 2014
    India
    Um.. what? I think you have quoted my question by mistake?

18. retroguy

retroguy GBAtemp Regular

Nov 28, 2006
    Netherlands
    Yes, I noticed that. I'm also new in the (N)3DS scene, I downgraded my N3DS 10.5 last week and installed all the other nice goodies following the excellent tutorial of Plailect. That is, up to and including Part IV, section I! :) Then I got the shiffers, so I decided to stop there, play around a bit with my N3DS and continue the tutorial in a few weeks. So for the moment I'm happy with Cakes and CFW 10.7 and patched AGB_Firms in sysnand to play GBA games from Sysnand (saves space on SD because of only single install of GBA games).

But I'm following the arm9hax developments closely and therefore it makes me happy to see that the procedure is getting easier and easier. In a few more weeks or so, it will be a 'one-button-push' to get from CFW to arm9loader. :lol: Boy, these developments remind me of the good old early PSP CFW days, with all those emerging exploits (Dark_Alex, you're still missed), which all ended in very simple CFW-install procedures, for evey NOOB. :bow:

Last edited by retroguy, Mar 24, 2016
  19. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    You asked for why you would want to also have 9.2, and that's one reason :)

KJ1 likes this.
  20. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    Yes they do. You'd probably have to install the patched TWL_FIRM if you're R4 doesn't work out of the box.