After install wiikey, backup disc not working

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by weasley, Oct 4, 2007.

Oct 4, 2007
  1. weasley
    OP

Newcomer weasley Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Hi ,

I just installed wiikey to my wii yesterday, but when i try to run a backup disc it didnt detect anything. Do i need to run the installation disc first from the support area?

2. aligborat69

Member aligborat69 GBAtemp Fan

When did you buy your wii... how old is it. If its after July 2007, you cant use wiikey on it. You need D2CKey, but not out yet!

3. weasley
    OP

United Kingdom
    my wii dvd chip is d2b

4. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    Bad install.

5. rhyguy

Member rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    if its bad media, will it recognise the disc, and go into it and freeze alot, or will it not recognise the disc at all?

6. aligborat69

Member aligborat69 GBAtemp Fan

Not Recognise at all, or boot and crash straight away

7. weasley
    OP

United Kingdom

Not Recongise at all

8. Skittles

Newcomer Skittles Newbie

Portugal
    i'm have the same situation, didn't know about that thing about the wii older than jully 2007 :x what kind of chip do you recommend? i bought wiikey and DVD-R don't even detect any dvd :\

9. puff1983

Newcomer puff1983 Advanced Member

United States
    Here's my story. I have a US Wii with a DMS chip. I installed my wiikey properly but what happens now is that my Wii does not detect any kind of disc (original or backup). I did make sure that all connections are good and they are and so far I tried making an update disc with 3 different types of media (GQ, Memorex, and Dynex). I know it's shitty media but before i go buy some Sonys I want to make sure there is something I can do before I go out. BTW in took out my wiikey and the system ran as normal. Help!

10. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    It sounds like your WiiKey wasn't installed correctly. Did you do a wired install or was it right on top of the pcb? Try installing again and make sure every point is double checked.

Your media is not the problem if it can't even detect original discs.

11. Frankdux

Newcomer Frankdux Advanced Member

Canada
    With the wiikey, after install nothing will boot, only the config disc will..

so if ur backups dont boot, try an original.. if it boots then its ur install.. if the Original doesnt boot then u need the config disc, and maybe the moddified version of it depending on what update u have on ur Wii..

once u run the configdisc then everything will work.. its the region setting that needs to be set...

12. Bob Loblaw

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States

That's not true. Any game that is the same region as his console should boot.

If not even originals were working it was either a bad wiikey or a bad install. Did you clean the contact points before fluxing them? Did you ground yourself? There's so much that could have gone wrong. It's impossible to answer a question like this over the internet without seeing it.

13. Frankdux

Canada
    Dude I inatall Wiikeys all day., im not dumb... thanks.. if nothing runs after a fresh wiikey install then u need to run the config disc end of story..

they will not work even if its the same region.. u have to run the disc and set it to region free or whatever u need for your area.

14. Bob Loblaw

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States

That's totally false. I know some people that have never run their config disc ever because there was nothing on it they wanted to change.(they didn't want region free on and didn't want to change read speed from 6x to 3x mainly.)
    And they work fine.

The wiikey's EEPROM comes flashed with all it needs to run backups.

I do remember about 5 months back there was a batch of wiikeys put out that were rumoured to need region free turned on to boot any backup disc at all. But that was because of a slight defect in the batch.

15. JKR Firefox

Member JKR Firefox Back.

Canada
    I agree. My Wii was modded a while back and since then I've never used a config cd from the Wii Key team, ever. I did however just update my Wii to 1.9g [​IMG]

Other then that, my Wii was able to play backups since the chip was put in. Not sure why someone who "installs Wiikeys all day", would suggest something like that.

16. Frankdux

Canada
    did u install ur own wiikey ?

or was it done by someone else.. anywiikey i have installed always required me to use the config disc. shit i will do one in an 20 mins and will have to use the disc again..

but do whatever u feel u need to do.. im not the one with the install problem