Hacking Afraid Of M3 Real

xjenova

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys. I have been reading a lot of posts about how the M3 Real bricked some people DS's. I ordered a Gloss Silver DS from play-asia, an M3 Real from gameyeeeah and a 2GB Kingston Micro SD from Dealextreme some days ago so i am still waiting for them to arrive.

I am getting paranoid about the things i have been reading in some forums and this one as well. The probability that the M3 Real might brick my DS is scaring me to death. Moreover, the fact that the M3 Team has not addressed this problem as of yet is dissapointing. It would be nice if a member of the M3 team could explain the issue.

There is no point in trying to cancel my order since it has already shipped. So all i have left is to wait and see what happens when i try the M3 on my DS
unsure.gif

Any suggestions or any insight into what might be bricking the DS's?

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've never heard a case of one bricking a DS. I've only heard that flashing incorrectly and bricker homebrew that does this, I would have no setback on trying the M3 Real on my ds.

beatrixgba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe it was only due to power issues. I have been messing with the m3 a lot now. No problems with the ds...just firmware issues that screw up the system files.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
any 3rd party product (or what would this be 4th party? grey area or what have you lol) from CHINA can potentially brick your system due to very poor QC. I'd suggest that if you want to use a flash cart in a rare or collectable system, try it on a plain system first and make sure it works then move it into your more valuable one if you wish to game that way.

I have had no problems at all with any of my flash carts. The most trouble I had was a long time ago with my first MGD3 for GBC but I exchanged it for a working one.

M3 Real does have some QC issues, but TT DS is much worse from posts I've seen. It's going to be uncommon for an M3 product to brick your system, but you can always be extra safe in trying it on your other DS or picking up a cheap one from craigslist or ebay and trying it there.

xjenova

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I would test them on another DS if i had one, but i dont even have money left to even buy the cheapest of the cheapest DS's
tongue.gif
I could tell my friend to test it on his DS first, but that wouldn't be fair. Specially if the card ends up bricking his DS.

By the way, where did you guys buy your M3s? It would be useful if the people who bought those faulty cards would name the places they bought them M3s from.

budrow66

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well most Places that sell M3 products or similar usually test them before they sell them.
I really cant speak for the sight you got yours from but I know RHS does and as the fella above said
thats usually a firmware flash or the like that will brick a DS. Me and my freind have had ours for months now
no bricks no problems. Relax your gonna love it...

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
any 3rd party product (or what would this be 4th party? grey area or what have you lol) from CHINA can potentially brick your system due to very poor QC. I'd suggest that if you want to use a flash cart in a rare or collectable system, try it on a plain system first and make sure it works then move it into your more valuable one if you wish to game that way.

I have had no problems at all with any of my flash carts. The most trouble I had was a long time ago with my first MGD3 for GBC but I exchanged it for a working one.

M3 Real does have some QC issues, but TT DS is much worse from posts I've seen. It's going to be uncommon for an M3 product to brick your system, but you can always be extra safe in trying it on your other DS or picking up a cheap one from craigslist or ebay and trying it there.

I guess that is true, but very unlikely still.

I've never heard a case of one bricking a DS. I've only heard that flashing incorrectly and bricker homebrew that does this, I would have no setback on trying the M3 Real on my ds.

Read on:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=69991&hl=issues

(Have to register to the forum inside the link to view the posts)

From the first one, it seems to me that these aren't M3 Reals damaging the ds' but faulty M3s
1) The DS cant read the M3 Real card - it may just be that the user needs to clean their contacts, if not they need to get a replacement M3 Real that works.

I don't know about the other one, but I would think it would be quite unlikely that it happens to you.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't say very unlikely... just unlikely. I've seen enough problems, whereas you never see this type of problem with a 1st party original Nintendo cartridge. It'd be very rare for that to happen.

budrow66

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well you could if the DS is new (and unflashed) stick the real in and try it if it bricks (and is unflashed) wouldnt he be able to send the DS back for replacment ?

ridgecity

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't see how it would brick your console, it just simulates an original rom cart, doesn't actually load into the system's firmware or change any stuff.

xjenova

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you for the replies guys. I will let you know what happens once i get all the stuff; hopefully next week. Wish me luck
wacko.gif

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dun be fraid of the M3
tongue.gif

well as far as bricking goes, look at the TT ds thread about broken TT's.. those people didn't say that their DS got damaged, just the cart.

novan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My DS was bricked using M3 real. I cant turn it on now. It was fully charged and turned off when i was using the pda function. I did some research and it seems that the rumble ram pack/gba pack is the problem. I did have a couple times where I was using home brew nad chose to use slot 1 with the rumble ram pack on and the screen went black and the rumble ram pack went crazy. Im going to attempt to return it tomarrow.

xjenova

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I also think the rumble ram pack is the culprit of this problem. Did you have the rumble ram pack inside the Slot 2 when it got bricked? Every post i have read of people whose DS got bricked by the M3 Real mentioned having the rumble ram pack in when it happened. One of them even said that he tested his M3 real on his friend's DS(without putting the rumble ram pack in) after his got burned and it worked nicely.

I am still skeptical about the flash cart, but if it all boils down to problematic rumble ram packs then it can be avoided. I just want to be REALLY sure that the cart in itself can not cause this problem. It just seems so illogical. The rumble ram pack i can blame since it uses higher voltages, i would guess, inside the cart and something isnt working like it should and, as a result, it is burning DS's mobos.

M3 Team should really speak up and say what is going on...

budrow66

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ahh well maybe me and my freinds are ok because none of us opted for the Rumble/Ram Pak set. Still a little wierd for so many folks to have a problem with an add on like that. I agree if that many peeps had problems out of it M3 should speak up and maybe take a little fault. After all they should have by now have made a tidy sum...

serco16

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A dude from a forum in my country noticed that the connectors on the M3 are not in the exact position in comparison to a game cart, and as a result it didn't work. He fixed the problem by puting the board in the shell of a game card, but i strongly beleive it is possible that one of those connectors could touch a wrong ds pin. Of course, it is only theory, and i continue to wait for my ordered M3
smile.gif

btw, the fried ds's seem to be recoverable by bridging F1 and F2 fuses (they have the simtoms).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: happy birth +1