Dead and alive
OP
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
It can get kind of annoying when people call you the wrong thing. A lot of the GBATemp population have feminine avatars when they are male (probably some with masculine avatars that are female) and non-gender-specific names (or sometimes their name sounds like the opposite gender to what they are in their profile) so these mixups happen often. It results in people having to awkwardly use sentence structures that leave out the gender, or making a (sometimes incorrect) assumption.

So, this is a suggestion to subtly remind people what gender other users have labelled themselves in their profile, so such awkwardness can be reduced somewhat. Akin to having the social cues of voice and looks - nothing in your face but it just works at the back of their mind.
  1. Change "[person's name] mentioned you in a post in [thread name]" to "[person's name] mentioned you in her or his post in [thread name]"
  2. (In the case that the OP replies to their own thread) Change "[person's name] replied to the thread [thread name]" to "[person's name] replied to her or his thread [thread name]"
And when the person's gender is not specified in their profile, then leave it as it is now.

I can't think of any other sorts of notification titles where you could sneak a her or his in, but just these two circumstances would help.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Its like book publishers mostly being female. And the majority of people that buy books are female. So the book industry mostly markets to women. Its smart to market to your core audience for more sales. This destroys the argument that gaming is mostly marketed to men and that majority of developers are men because of sexism. Well its mostly marketed to them because they make up the majority. If the video game industry is sexist against women, then the book industry is being sexist against men, it works both ways.

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: hobbledehoy899

henn64

I don't know what I'm doing with my life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
True - but then you're in the middle of typing, and you think, crap, are they male or female?
Does it matter? What incredibly specific scenario requires you to know their sex/gender?
Besides, somebody will get left out if male and female are the only options.

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
tbh here I dont disclose my gender, its obvious, but does this really matter?

Does it matter? What incredibly specific scenario requires you to know their sex/gender?
Besides, somebody will get left out if male and female are the only options.
Exactly, this honestly isnt a huge problem I face, just put @Tomato Hentai or @Ricken (Im sure they're fine with this, I hope.) and itll work, no need for He/She.

Last edited by Luglige,

Elizabethx90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a female, I really don't care, but if the admins decide to do something, I say just have the gender field show up on the thing under peoples avatar on their post. Like:

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Plushie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I guess it would be a nice small feature to have for people that want it, but if it becomes like Twitter, with all the "he/his/she/her" or "Xe/trans/fluid" and all the political statements, then please no.

Reactions: WeedZ

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I guess it would be a nice small feature to have for people that want it, but if it becomes like Twitter, with all the "he/his/she/her" or "Xe/trans/fluid" and all the political statements, then please no.
"Xe/trans/fluid"
I don't want that either, I would rather have a Other, or It, That would be enough.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
If your that bothered about being identified as a specific gender then change your title on the site to include it, so people who want to bother checking genders can make the appropriate choice of words https://gbatemp.net/account/personal-details

while I personally feel most people will just assume male unless it's common knowledge otherwise ( just because I feel most gamers are male....incorrect or not that is my assumption), and even if you prefer to be called X,Y or Z don't expect everyone to know or care either way, to many people comments on public forums are not considered a real interaction with a person and as such social pressures to use specific gendered language doesn't/shouldn't really apply

So yeah if I refer to a girl as he, it's not out of malice, it's out of indifference, if that upsets you, then you need to give less craps about what random people on the internet say who don't know you irl

That said I do always try to use non gendered language just to avoid hurting people's feeling, but please don't act butt hurt if I get it wrong sometimes, and definitely do not demand that I remember you specifically and label you how you prefer, if I don't have a close bond I'm not going to go out of my way to keep a log of everyone's gender, your all they them or their unless I care enough to know otherwise :P

Last edited by gamesquest1,

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
can i change my gbatemp gender listing to something like "inanimate object" so that way people can unironically use "it" "its" and "itself" as pronouns
INSOC CD+G 2.png

Last edited by hobbledehoy899, , Reason: A better photograph of InSoc circa 1988.

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just use "they" or leave notifications as they are. It's really not that big a deal to us that you immediately know right off the bat. Its only really a problem when we say "Hey, could you say it this way instead please?" And that person refuses to do so after knowing full well that it's incorrect. It's simply rude, whether a person is trans or not, not just "sjw's" lashing out.

I think the best solution wups to honestly leave the notifications as they are, and put something on the user's post by their avatar. Maybe a little space that holds a user-definable text under the area where people put their titles. (Gbatemp Regular, "oh", etc) being user-definable would prevent the issue of perhaps missing someone's specific label if it were to fall outside of the traditional "Male, Female, Nonbinary, Prefer not to answer" scope. If you were feeling adventurous, the space could auto-populate with any currently set gender from their profile.

Reactions: Deleted User

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just use "they" or leave notifications as they are. It's really not that big a deal to us that you immediately know right off the bat. Its only really a problem when we say "Hey, could you say it this way instead please?" And that person refuses to do so after knowing full well that it's incorrect. It's simply rude, whether a person is trans or not, not just "sjw's" lashing out.

I think the best solution wups to honestly leave the notifications as they are, and put something on the user's post by their avatar. Maybe a little space that holds a user-definable text under the area where people put their titles. (Gbatemp Regular, "oh", etc) being user-definable would prevent the issue of perhaps missing someone's specific label if it were to fall outside of the traditional "Male, Female, Nonbinary, Prefer not to answer" scope. If you were feeling adventurous, the space could auto-populate with any currently set gender from their profile.
DOES IT MATTER?!

Reactions: henn64

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DOES IT MATTER?!
I mean, if you read my post you wouldn't ask that question? It doesn't really matter if we changed it as its non intrusive as it is now.

If you're asking if it matters in the general scope, then you should ask yourself. I'm sure you wouldn't be very pleased if someone were to continuously refer to you as "miss" Luglige. If you don't, kudos to you ma'am.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP

I'm sorry but the idea that you can force people to have to remember your gender is silly, it's people just flexing their rights to control others, if I don't care about you then I don't care enough to remember if your male or female don't think you can force me to do so by the powers of political correctness, as I said, I'm more than happy to try stick to genderless language, but I will not start remembering everyone's gender especially when it has zero bearing on their communications or mine. Anyone expecting me to retroactively go back and correct their gender and remember their personal preference in future can just block me instead as you cannot force me to care about you or your gender, you are not special don't think you can force special treatment from others

(Not directed at you, but people who wants special treatment and act butt hurt if EVERYONE doesn't know them and what they have between their legs)

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I mean, if you read my post you wouldn't ask that question? It doesn't really matter if we changed it as its non intrusive as it is now.

If you're asking if it matters in the general scope, then you should ask yourself. I'm sure you wouldn't be very pleased if someone were to continuously refer to you as "miss" Luglige. If you don't, kudos to you ma'am.
I honestly wouldn't care, I don't disclose my gender, the thing is that changing it to they, it, fluid, he, she, ny, the point is it won't inconvenience anyone, just say @Luglige or @Ricken (Sorry again Ricken.) and that would bring it futile to even need it. I was saying does it matter to even say they, sorry if I wasn't specific enough.

Reactions: Ricken
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: